Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

On 12/09/2020 at 19:22, Stevie said:

So is the original Blade Runner. I love Sci-fi but Blade Runner is one of those movies that are great but not really that great. The same goes for 2001: A Space Odyssey. These movies were great because there were nothing like it when they were released. 

The amount of ridicule I have had to endure from this forum over the years for liking some unpopular films (phantom menace for example) and I’ve never posted anything as close to as insane as the above statement 

The trailer looked really boring to me. But I am coming from a position of not knowing anything about dune apart from there being a worm, so can imagine it might press more buttons if you read the books etc. 

Meh/10. Will totally see it if the reviews stack up though, but from that trailer? Nah. 

On 13/09/2020 at 00:00, sexton_hardcastle said:

I’ll bite for the comedy value of a response - how is Event Horizon, yes that Event Horizon, better than Blade Runner?

Depends if you prefer your characters eyeballs being too far inside vs too far outside of their heads.

On 14/09/2020 at 20:09, hauk said:

That was something Lynch made up and was not in the novel so it's unlikely to be in the new movie.

There is the question is how they'll do the voice.  In the book it's a subtle manipulation conveyed with some internal monolog.  Lynch went for 'creepy' supernatural voice effect.  The softer version just ends up looking like an Obi Wan rip off.

To this day I'm not entirely certain what happens if you take your helmet off in space thanks to movies.

Total Recall says it turns you into a Tex Avery wolf seeing a sexy lady (I know Total Recall is within an atmosphere)

Some show you getting a nosebleed if you keep it off a bit long,
Some films have people exploding like the Gremlin in the microwave the second their suit gets a puncture.

Some just have you immediately being flash frozen

Some just make it look like it's the same as holding your breath underwater

Or be like Princess Leia and appear pretty unconcerned about the vacuum as you fly around like Dragonball Z.

I think it's basically the Leia experience, but without the controlled flight. You suffocate, then you die. Your eyes don't pop out, you don't explode. I think probably some capillaries burst. If you held your breath, your lungs would probably have a significant problem. Then over time, you presumably freeze (or maybe not if you're in sunlight?)

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think it's basically the Leia experience, but without the controlled flight. You suffocate, then you die. Your eyes don't pop out, you don't explode. I think probably some capillaries burst. If you held your breath, your lungs would probably have a significant problem. Then over time, you presumably freeze (or maybe not if you're in sunlight?)

My understanding is you wouldn't freeze because there's no way heat can leave your body in a vacuum. Burning to death in sunlight is more likely.

9 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

My understanding is you wouldn't freeze because there's no way heat can leave your body in a vacuum. Burning to death in sunlight is more likely.

Your body heat would be lost via radiation but only slowly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_spaceflight_on_the_human_body#Vacuum

This seems fairly comprehensive. Sounds like you'd pass out in about fifteen seconds and would die after about ninety seconds, but wouldn't explode, or freeze. You'd swell up like Baron Harkonnen if you weren't wearing some kind of flight suit. You'd probably be able to quickly move through vacuum like in 2001, if you didn't immediately flip the fuck out at the sensation of your bodily fluids boiling.

Not mega-keen on the look of the Baron in the new film. The Amiga game probably influenced my idea of what he looked like in the book, but I always envisaged him as someone who was fat beyond the normal human limits of fatness:

spacer.png

On the basis of that action figure, he looks like he's just finished his Christmas dinner.