Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

So is the original Blade Runner. I love Sci-fi but Blade Runner is one of those movies that are great but not really that great. The same goes for 2001: A Space Odyssey. These movies were great because there were nothing like it when they were released. 

Considering the best version was released ten years after the theatrical cut, that's quite the take you have there. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Nick R said:

It's wrong about 2001 but right about Blade Runner.

I have organs and a soul

12 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Considering the best version was released ten years after the theatrical cut, that's quite the take you have there. :lol:

Yes agreed, the point is that there is no such thing as a holy cow. Event Horizon which is considered a mediocre sci-fi is arguably a better movie than Blade Runner. Blade Runner was great because of Vangelis, Harrison Ford known for Star Wars and Rutger Hauer. 

Oh man, don't get me started on the whole Blade Runner thing. 

It's another time when I'll always always prefer the original release I'm afraid. I can absolutely see why most sensible people will think the newer cuts are better but it's not the version I saw in '83 when I somehow got dragged in to the cinema as an eight year old to watch it. Can't deal with a version that doesn't have Ford's crappy old voice-over in it, nor the ending it has either. Once again, the mind takes its snapshot and everything else just never quite matches up.

Also, fuck Scott for telling me what to think about whether Deckard was a replicant or not.

He wasn't. 

P.S. I want me some more Dune, and Villeneuve does some interesting stuff, so I'm totally all in. I expect to be somewhat disappointed because no film will ever do the Dune in my mind justice, but also enjoy it plenty.

The only thing I remember Timothy Chalamayadingdong from is that film with Arnie Hammer, which I thought was generally excellent. Hope he's good in this.

3 hours ago, Stevie said:

Event Horizon which is considered a mediocre sci-fi is arguably a better movie than Blade Runner. 

I know others have quoted this, but it bears repeating in its complete idiocy. I’ve seen a lot of complete nonsense in the film folder over the years. Shit we even had a guy defend Prometheus once, but never, and I do mean never, has someone held fucking Event Horizon as some sort of beacon of decency. This is bizarre! I’m almost tempted to turn Sigs on just to put this quote in them. 

I mean, Event Horizon!!!!!!!!!! really!

I’m so flabbergasted that I can only imagine this was said to hide the nonsense about 2001 earlier? The ol’ Trump approach of keep flinging shit & people forget about the older shit, right?

11 hours ago, Stevie said:

Event Horizon which is considered a mediocre sci-fi is arguably a better movie than Blade Runner.

I would dearly love to hear that argument, although I will accept that Blade Runner has neither The Prodigy on the soundtrack nor Lawrence Fishburne beaning a beloved Australian character actor done up in Hellraiser makeup with a cardboard tube in the finale.

8 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

I’ll bite for the comedy value of a response - how is Event Horizon, yes that Event Horizon, better than Blade Runner?

I thought it did a better job thats all. I know that many people dont even rate Event Horizon, but personally I like it better than Blade Runner. It has a very tense atmosphere, something very few movies are able to pull off. From the moment Dr.Weir tells the crew they have found the Event Horizon and that its been 'somewhere' the clock starts ticking. Another movie that had such an atmosphere was Alien. 

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I would dearly love to hear that argument, although I will accept that Blade Runner has neither The Prodigy on the soundtrack nor Lawrence Fishburne beaning a beloved Australian character actor done up in Hellraiser makeup with a cardboard tube in the finale.

Event Horizon has some holes in it, there were several scenes that were cut from the movie and it could have been a lot more. I'm not a professional critic so I have no problems accepting that you find my opinion completely bonkers. Maybe I just have bad taste in movies, and that's something I would be willing to accept.  

15 hours ago, Stevie said:

So is the original Blade Runner. I love Sci-fi but Blade Runner is one of those movies that are great but not really that great. The same goes for 2001: A Space Odyssey. These movies were great because there were nothing like it when they were released. 

As you love sci-fi and these 2 aren't great, or where only great because of the year of release, I'd like to know which sci-fi films you rate above these since 1982.

EDIT - do'h didn't see page 15 at the time of writing!

11 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

I know others have quoted this, but it bears repeating in its complete idiocy. I’ve seen a lot of complete nonsense in the film folder over the years. Shit we even had a guy defend Prometheus once, but never, and I do mean never, has someone held fucking Event Horizon as some sort of beacon of decency. This is bizarre! I’m almost tempted to turn Sigs on just to put this quote in them. 

I thought Prometheus was alright actually, but then I'm not that prissy about the Alien franchise. You are defending against a rabid fanbase that hasn't had a decent entry in it since the 2nd film in 1986, so it didn't bother me. The one that followed (Covenant?) certainly did however, that was a piece of shit, not because of anything "Alien", just that it was a really badly made film.

If I've missed the point to why Prometheus was so bad even outside of the franchise, let me know what it is, it's been many many years since I've seen it.

FWIW - Event Horizon is ok at the start, but when it realises it's torn off more that it can chew, it's a failure. I think my memory of it was that it built up for some horror so unimaginable that they couldn't show you how bad it was, and then really couldn't show you how bad it was or even give a shit.

Prometheus is pretty terrible, but it gets away with a lot of that by being a spectacularly pretty film. 

Covenant is possibly the worst film I’ve seen in the last couple of decades. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Event Horizon is one of my guilty pleasures. It's effectively a wonderful Victorian ghost story in space, but with a touch more gore. Everyone’s hamming it up impressively and it all looks like they were all having a great time farting about. It has no pretensions to be anything above its station and I kind of like that about it really. Great design work in the thing too! 

12 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Sam Neill is from New Zealand :blah:

I love Event Horizon but bloody hell, it's so far out of blade runner's league it's not even the same sport. 

Blade Runner is like watching (insert two really good premier League teams of your choice) play the finest match of their careers, whilst event horizon is like being on your own kicking a ball up the wall and somehow managing to smack yourself in the face with it. 

I know nothing about football so this analogy may not hold up. 

On 11/09/2020 at 23:48, ZOK said:

Blade Runner 2049 is a hugely overrated movie, an exercise in style over substance that is admittedly excellent right up until the main guy gets into the child selling factory and then you’ve literally seen every good idea Villeneuve had to offer on the theme. It’s mostly dull after that, even if you ignore the excitement offered by the gaping plot holes, and from when Ford arrives on the scene it’s just lumpen and embarrassing.

I’m sure he’ll bring the same deft mallet in this to whatever he’s pinched from Lynch.

Interesting. I actually think Blade Runner is massively overrated and I actually think Blade Runner 2049 is the better movie. For me Blade Runner is incredibly stylish but has no substance whatsoever. I get why people love it, but it's never worked for me (even though I still have the 5-disc set they released a few years back). 

My enduring memory of Event Horizon is going to see it with my friend Mark. He jumps at absolutely anything and when one of the doors on the spaceship opened he jumped so much that he spilt his coke all over himself and the girl sitting behind him. he never did see the end of the film :lol:

The 1st half of the 1984 version of Dune is excellent: great soundtrack, performances and amazing visuals. Just completely falls apart in the second half, which was probably due to studio interference TBH. Also it doesn't seem like David Lunch is the best at directing action scenes and the less said about the Weirding Modules the better!

Visually the new one isn't as striking, but going on the directors track record at directing/pulling together big budget movies it will probably be a better movie. I'm just blown away that this got made and ended up with such a good director at the helm. Rather than nitpicking the trailer, I would think people would be excited that a big budget sci-fi movie that has nothing to do with Superheroes got made at all. 

12 minutes ago, hauk said:

Also it doesn't seem like David Lunch is the best at directing action scenes and the less said about the Weirding Modules the better!

I’m very much looking forward to Dinner Villeneuve’s take on the Weirding Way.

24 minutes ago, sammy said:

I’m very much looking forward to Dinner Villeneuve’s take on the Weirding Way.

That was something Lynch made up and was not in the novel so it's unlikely to be in the new movie.