Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

36 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I'm still excited enough to be disappointed at the cinema-only release. If anyone can justify it, I'd say Villeneuve could, but y'know.....pandemic.

Hope they go digital sooner than later.

I’d prefer the film made money tbh. 

Need more sci fi.

MORE!

I guess if anyone can make it work, I'd put my money on Villeneuve to get the job done.

I saw the Lynch version as soon as it arrived on humble VHS - being fairly young I had no real idea of what the hell was going on most of the time, but from a visual point of view it absolutely blew my mind. The actors who played the parts are kind of etched in my memory...Sting's face is not one of the more pleasant ones, but there we go. 

That all said, I do urge people to read the book if they haven't - it's one of the most wonderful works of sci-fi that's ever been written and quite honestly as soon as you do that you kind of realise that there's probably no-one alive that would be able to do the thing justice to it in a visual medium. So - from my point of view at least - I'm looking at the new version to see what images 'stick' in my mind that I can take to one more reading of the novel and see if it can overtake some of the more problematic ones that came about with the original movie.

I'm genuinely looking forward to it - I thought the trailer looked decent, although the soundtrack was fucking appalling and whoever thought it was a suitable one to put on should be taken out back and shot.

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

I'm looking at the new version to see what images 'stick' in my mind

I think the ornithopters and worms are already my favourite designs.  Those filter feeder teeth!

(I also want to see a Freman with a crysknife that's a full sized tooth!)

2 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Wow, tough crowd. I thought that was spectacular.

The comparisons I always dish out with new versions of things are the Lord of the Rings movies. They are - quite rightly - thought highly of from a lot of folks. When Fellowship was being made and onto its eventual release there was huge amounts of expectations and by and large the general consensus was that it was a fantastic film. 

And I did enjoy it - and I still do.

But I never loved it.

And the reason being was I grew up watching Bakshi's Lord of the Rings animation. Literally seen it hundreds of times, and - like it was with Lynch's Dune - the visuals burned themselves into my memory and they've never left. It's always always those faces that I see when I read the books. Sure, he got loads of stuff wrong in it - Aragorn is nothing like the descriptions in the book, and the less said about the baffling way they say 'Aruman' and 'Saruman' for the same person (sometimes in the same scene!) the better.

But there was literally nothing Jackson could have done to take those memories away from me, and I suspect it'll be a somewhat similar thing that happens with the new Dune.

I think it'll be an order of magnitude better than Lynch's movie for sure, but do-overs just have a habit of never quite hitting the spot if you've seen previous versions of things.

It's a real tricky one I admit. I'm very glad a new version is being made though - much more so than I was than when he did Bladerunner 2049...which I still think was a fairly pointless endeavour (albeit one of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen).

Just about every trailer made follows the same structure. It's a marketing person's ticksheet... 

Slow fading start

Show some faces

A fight or car chase snippet 

BASS DROP

Implied melodrama 

Fast flashing der der der der boom 

Show the name of the film

The look of the film here shows just how close Lynch was to the source I suppose. I think this version is going to be 3 hours long, maybe more. 

No Sting though, makes you wonder why they didn't approach Damon Albarn 

Interesting. I'm really surprised by the lukewarm reaction here, I thought that looked excellent personally.

EDIT: I take the point about cookie cutter teaser edit (teasers are often the product of the marketers not the artists anyway), but looking past that the content within it feels like Villeneuve has reached into my brain to extract what I've imagined life on Arrakis to be like. Plus, I love his other work so I have confidence it'll be very high crafted. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Just about every trailer made follows the same structure. It's a marketing person's ticksheet... 

Slow fading start

Show some faces

A fight or car chase snippet 

BASS DROP

Implied melodrama 

Fast flashing der der der der boom 

Show the name of the film

The look of the film here shows just how close Lynch was to the source I suppose. I think this version is going to be 3 hours long, maybe more. 

No Sting though, makes you wonder why they didn't approach Damon Albarn 

Yep, this is spot on. Was okay-ish, but the same as every other studio film trailer (and films!) these days - full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

18 minutes ago, Purin said:

The only memory I have of the Lynch movie is that horrible toxic guy and Sting pulling people's plugs out. Can't quite remember but it totally disturbed me at the time.

Heart plugs aren't in the book. The main baddie is massively overweight but he's not a cackling pantomime idiot who likes his boils cultivated.

20 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Heart plugs aren't in the book. The main baddie is massively overweight but he's not a cackling pantomime idiot who likes his boils cultivated.

Good. I assume it's the guy rising out of a mud-bath in the new trailer.

I keep forgetting that the first book has been split into two movies (I don't think they bothered filming the second part yet - that would be financial suicide if this doesn't bring in the money).  And having read Dune last year, I'm not sure if I could pinpoint a part where you could naturaly end the first part.

16 minutes ago, Purin said:

Good. I assume it's the guy rising out of a mud-bath in the new trailer.

Yeah. Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.  Played by Stellan Skarsgård.  I'm not sure he even floats about in the book but can't remember now.  The suspensors just support his massive bulk.

11 minutes ago, Gambit said:

And having read Dune last year, I'm not sure if I could pinpoint a part where you could naturally end the first part.

I'm not quite sure how they'll manage the beats of the end, but the natural point is

Spoiler

some point after Paul and Jessica join the Freman.  The reveal of exactly who the Freman are as a fighting force lets the ending not be a total downer.  Have Jessica take the water of life as end of her journey, sets up peril/messiah journey for Paul in part II, also a bit of "ooh, Chani, she's a bit of alright".

I can understand peoples flat response, my first reaction is also flat.  Huge fan of the book and of the Lynch film, the character casting / acting isnt a patch on its predesessor. Pauls voice sounds devoid of emotion and uninspiring.  The reverend Mother seemd ok. And the effects look decent. But the colour palette seems very subdued. the whole trailer felt a bit .. Alien Covenent ?  

Watching it a couple more times it's growing on me a bit. So I am hopeful. Not sure how Im going to watch it though, people arent actually going to the cinema are they?! 

It looks pretty good, but not that exciting. I guess it's a trailer aimed at a general audience, so they're going to make it look as accessible as possible, but it doesn't look weird enough to be Dune (or at least, my version of Dune). The David Lynch film was pretty rubbish on the whole, but it did capture the essential complete fucking insanity of Dune and Frank Herbert.