womblingfree

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

Heard from a reasonably plausible source that Dune's being remade with Mr Pitt.

I was thinking just the other day how much of a wasted opportunity the franchise was. Get Peter jackson to do the first three books, and dump Pitt.

I honestly can't imagine a worse suggestion that this.

Really? He's proven he can make a trilogy that's consistent and epic was the only reason for suggesting him. After the potential mess it could turn into I'd rather have something that's at least approaching coherence.

if Hollywood had any balls they'd let Jodorowsky have another go at it.

He's only allowed to make comics now. I'd love to see him do it though, and coherence can go take a hike.

EDIT: Seems he just made a movie! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0892411/

if Hollywood had any balls they'd let Jodorowsky have another go at it.

Oh yes. It's a shame they'd no longer be able to draft in Salvador Dali as the emperor and the Giger stuff wouldn't have quite the same impact these days, but it'd still be awesome. I'm sure he'd find interesting replacements.

443429575_a5e83cb349.jpg

Blimey. One of Giger's Harkonnen chairs.

I think the Lynch version gets a lot of stick for no reason, it's not that bad. In fact I love it.

<says huge Lynch fanboy>

But I can see it was a bit of a missed opportunity and the Dune universe/books could get a better representation in film.

Saying that I call bullshit on this Pitt remake rumor

Director Peter Berg on What We Can Expect in His Dune

Before director Peter Berg goes off to helm the Battleship movie for Universal, or anything else for that matter, I want to see his epic new Dune movie first. Maybe it's because I'm a big sci-fi fan and because I think we could use another Dune adaptation, I'm not exactly sure, but I hope it happens soon. SciFi Wire caught up with Berg recently and asked him about the status of Dune, which he says he's working on "getting up and running." So while we still don't know when we'll ever see this, he does talk more about what we can expect to see (if it ever happens). And of course, he wants this to be different than before.

"I had a much more different experience, I think, with the book than David Lynch did," Berg says about Lynch's Dune movie from 1984, one of two big adaptations of Frank Herbert's novel. "To me, I think my interpretation will feel significantly different from that and the [syfy] Channel miniseries that aired. I have a different experience than both of those filmmakers did." Well that's good, we'll get to see something new and different, I'm down for that. Just as long as he makes it epic and adventurous and keeps all the same elements that make it so damn good, like the sandworms and blue spice-eyes (which he will include).

"[The book] was much more muscular and adventurous, more violent and possibly even a little bit more fun," Berg goes on to say. "I think those are all elements of my experience of the book that can be brought in without offending the die-hard fans of the Bene Gesserit and Kwisatz Haderach. There's a more dynamic film to be made." I've got no problems with what he's saying, and honestly, I'm just excited to see him work on this, even if it is going to be more dynamic than the Lynch version or the SciFi miniseries. Maybe that's exactly the reason I'm so excited to see this happen. But how will the Dune diehards respond?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/06/dir...ct-in-his-dune/

Really? He's proven he can make a trilogy that's consistent and epic was the only reason for suggesting him. After the potential mess it could turn into I'd rather have something that's at least approaching coherence.

Yeah, but it is popular to hate Jackson now because he made huge, critically acclaimed and very popular blockbusters that won a shitload of Oscars.

That never goes down well on the Internetz. :(

I recently watched the 2 tv minseries andthey were pretty good in some respects, i think somewhere in between Lynch's film and these is the perfect way of doing it.

Dune Remake to be a Hard PG-13, Massive Adventure Epic

And when speaking to MTV, Berg confirmed this exact problem. The script, as it stands, is almost 200 pages, according to Berg, "a massive epic." But even before "beating [the script] into something manageable without offending the purists," Berg is looking into the future, saying Dune has franchise potential. But of the first film in his proposed franchise, he said this:

"My experience with the book was different than David Lynch's experience or the people behind the Sci Fi Channel's experience. I found it to be more of an adventure tale, more of a muscular action/adventure story. I think that's my approach, not as an R-rated film, but as a pretty hard PG-13 film about a young man dealing with issues of vengeance over the death of his father and wanting some payback and having to come to terms with his destiny along the way."

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/09/15/dun...adventure-epic/

This is so far away though - Berg is prepping Battleships for 2011 and has been confirmed as his next directorial effort. :P

I imagine he'll then move on to Hancock 2?

I think the Lynch version gets a lot of stick for no reason, it's not that bad. In fact I love it.

<says huge Lynch fanboy>

But I can see it was a bit of a missed opportunity and the Dune universe/books could get a better representation in film.

Saying that I call bullshit on this Pitt remake rumor

Flawed as it was, I loved the Lynch Dune.

Battleships?

yes it is based on the game but it could be quite good. Berg's father was in the Navy and Berg wants to make an epic naval battle film. More details on AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42369

I am not sure about Dune being an adventure film. I thought Herbert's books had an awesome religion/politics underbelly which made it interesting and a classic

I like Lynch's version but I still think someone needs to do justice to the books and make it EPIC

I honestly can't imagine a worse suggestion that this.

quoted for truth

and I cant see them having brad pitt as paul atreides, hes meant to be 15 in Dune

I see them maybe picking someone in their 20s for it

I wouldn't want Marshall on this, I think the studio would be all over it and would wreck any vision he might have. I know this sounds awful but I don't see him as a visionary director - a solid action/horror one for sure (and entertaining at that) but I can't see him handling Dune well.

As for Blomkamp - personally I'd prefer to see what the guy can do with his own ideas long before he took on a project like this. It's too confined by the source material. Dune surely can't be made cheaply which again would lead me to believe the studio would be all over it.

Battleships?

yes it is based on the game but it could be quite good. Berg's father was in the Navy and Berg wants to make an epic naval battle film. More details on AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42369

I am not sure about Dune being an adventure film. I thought Herbert's books had an awesome religion/politics underbelly which made it interesting and a classic

I like Lynch's version but I still think someone needs to do justice to the books and make it EPIC

The most obvious thing about the series as a whole amazing as it is, is that its completely un-filmable. It it were to be made true to the source then it would cost millions but have a very narrow audience. The dune novel itself although somewhat standalone needs to be put into context of the series or it is just too overwhelming.