Mercury Music Prize 2009

BBC

Chart-topper La Roux is leading the hopefuls for this year's Mercury Prize, along with Kasabian, Florence and the Machine and Friendly Fires.

Bat For Lashes gets a second chance to win the prize, while Glasvegas and The Horrors have also been given nods.

But hotly-tipped acts Little Boots, Doves and White Lies have been left off the 12-strong list.

Lisa Hannigan, The Invisible, Led Bib, Sweet Billy Pilgrim and Speech Debelle complete the list of nominees.

No Doves? :lol:

It's got to be The Horrors for me, awesome album.

Edit: please delete!

Doves are 'hotly-tipped' now? :blink:

But yeah, Kingdom of Rust is a pretty shocking exclusion. Probably their best since Lost Souls. The Last Broadcast has some of their best songs on, but doesn't hold together quite as well as an album as this does.

Agreed. It's a baffling omission, particularly considering the panel's usual tastes. Maybe they just didn't want to appear too "samey" after The Seldom Seen Kid deservedly won last year.

I'd go for Florence and the Machine or Bat for Lashes. I have no idea why Kasabian are on there - sure, I like much of the album, but it's more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.