rllmuk
Calashnikov

This is Hip-Hop.

I've been nailing this Rustie mix since first hearing it last week - It's 40 minutes of heavy hyphy/crunk/wonky hiphop; some spectacular production at times. Not to everyone's taste I know and many of these tracks are a few years old (I think the mix is from 2008/late 2007) but yeah, I've listened to it about 8 times since downloading - so addictive.

Rustie - Thump Crack Mix

This is maddeningly compulsive listening. Rustie's got some seriously scattershot brain on him.

It's bonkers isn't it? I'm trying to find an MP3 of the Spruce Illest track on that mix but it seems strangely elusive; I can't work out if it's a 10 year old kid or some diminutive female, or it's just been pitchshifted. I love MCs who flow in that almost robotic, emphasised syllable fashion - the beat is like prime Neptunes, their beat on the Famlay track after feels a little lumpen in comparison.

You see that?

VC's back in the Hip Hop thread!

I'd like to think I was partly responsible for that.

:lol:

Yeah, I'm slowly beginning my journey back into the hiphop (thanks Spotify!). So bear with me during this difficult time as I find artists I enjoy.

I'll still be helping folk like Calash out with his oldskool knowledge, and throwing out a few youtube clips from back in the day, but other than that I'm getting back in the game. Step by step.

Drawbar (a funk/hip-hop crew I'm down with) had a gig in Utrecht at the weekend. We recorded the set (5 hours!) and we're chopping it up into sections.

Here are the first two by Si Ham (soul/funk) mine will follow (hip-hop) and also Kappa (Jazz/funk). We had an ambient mic set-up too and sounds pretty nice, check 'em...

Simon Ham Mix Pt1

Simon Ham Mix pt2

'Fuck You' was actually a bit of a cross-over hit at the time. It was getting a lot of Radio 1 play (the radio edit was called 'Got You'), and I even remembering hearing it played out at shitty cattle-market nights during my student days. It's an instant, phat wee head-nodder based on the story of a decent movie, but it doesn't come close to anything on Desire in my opinion. Desire's a piece of profound beauty by comparision. Be serious.

'Fuck You' was actually a bit of a cross-over hit at the time. It was getting a lot of Radio 1 play (the radio edit was called 'Got You'), and I even remembering hearing it played out at shitty cattle-market nights during my student days. It's an instant, phat wee head-nodder based on the story of a decent movie, but it doesn't come close to anything on Desire in my opinion. Desire's a piece of profound beauty by comparision. Be serious.

Yeah. I remember that GOT YOU shit. It was the kind of song people got down to who also loved the album 2001 by Dre and wore Marijuana logo designs on their clothes and jewellery. Not to say its not a great song. And I like 2001! I don't know what I mean really. But yeah it was a pop hit. Can't find where it got to on WIKIPEDIA.

Its all about Organized Konfusion:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Pharohe Monch fucking kills this track, in 1991!!!!

The whole album still blows my mind.

Man, ain't seen esar round here for a while. He comes back with pendular globes of all-out SLAMMAGE. You know what brought him back? I stuck on Lord Finesse's 'Return Of The Funky Man' album. Minutes later? esar up in here. It's like that.

A bit of cross-pollenation here, cause this one is definitely for the soul brothers, but HOLY SHIT I just came across a treasure trove of Zip files completely rammed full of classic and obscure hip-hop sample source shit, all categorised nicely by artist and album over here:

http://kevinnottingham.com/diggin-in-da-crates/

Apologies if this is old news, but have a scan through the waves of classic stuff. Pete Rock's source material. Dre's. Dilla's. RZA's. More to me more. Fucking everything, basically. The first one I've gone for is the Wu-Tang 8 Diagrams zip, because I've been wanting that bluesy, moody-ass version of 'Gypsy Woman' that they flipped on 'Campfire' ever since I heard it.

A bit of cross-pollenation here, cause this one is definitely for the soul brothers, but HOLY SHIT I just came across a treasure trove of Zip files completely rammed full of classic and obscure hip-hop sample source shit, all categorised nicely by artist and album over here:

http://kevinnottingham.com/diggin-in-da-crates/

Apologies if this is old news, but have a scan through the waves of classic stuff. Pete Rock's source material. Dre's. Dilla's. RZA's. More to me more. Fucking everything, basically. The first one I've gone for is the Wu-Tang 8 Diagrams zip, because I've been wanting that bluesy, moody-ass version of 'Gypsy Woman' that they flipped on 'Campfire' ever since I heard it.

Found this a week back - grabbed the sample set for 'Takes a Nation' (how many tracks???),The Cactus Album - and most of the Tribe stuff.

Whilst I am a sample nerd, getting the full set helps you really appreciate how dense and complex some of these classic albums were with tiny snatches of old records placed on top of each other and looped in some crazy ways. It's astonishing how well they were put together.

Some mind blowing mathematics going on there - its a whole other level of appreciation.

I liked Mickey Avalons album, kindof Snoopian in his delivery, and pretty much the best lyrical lubing I've heard in a while. Waiting to die, also Ready to die by Wallis is still amazing.

Liquid Swords is still the hip hop apex for me though, which is depressing.

I liked Mickey Avalons album, kindof Snoopian in his delivery, and pretty much the best lyrical lubing I've heard in a while. Waiting to die, also Ready to die by Wallis is still amazing.

Liquid Swords is still the hip hop apex for me though, which is depressing.

Good post... oh no wait, it was a bit weird!