rllmuk
Calashnikov

This is Hip-Hop.

Cool, hadn't heard it before; If I'd have been played the track blind I'd have guessed it was a RZA beat. I'm still unsure on how Cuban Linx 2 is going to flow as an album but this track is just carnage - every MC kills it totally, the beat plays to their strengths completely.

Yeah, I'd say they've totally bombed the whole "going for that Cuban Linx sound" approach, if this is anything to go by :wub: This track would probably have been too big and ridiculous to appear on the first record, which (Criminology aside) I find more blunted and subtly atmospheric. But let's not be too critical of what is basically an absolutely banging hip-hop track, put together by genre gods. A future classic for sure.

;) Why was I always lead to believe that Kool Keith's Black Elvis album was wack? It's sounding incredible to me now, 10 years later (!!!!!!!!). I guess people were just bummed-out that it wasn't a Dr Octagon. But check these:

Was it Kutmaster Kurt on the beats?

I was always a fan of Dr. Dooom ...

... though I've not heard Black Elvis all the way through!

;) Why was I always lead to believe that Kool Keith's Black Elvis album was wack? It's sounding incredible to me now, 10 years later (!!!!!!!!). I guess people were just bummed-out that it wasn't a Dr Octagon. But check these:

Man, those sound bang up to date.

10 years old! :)

Was it Kutmaster Kurt on the beats?

No man, it's none other than Keith himself on the beats! It's a great album, but as you say, people hated on it because it came after Dr. Octagon. Although, Keith himself also isn't fond of the album, he has gone on record many times explaining how he felt jerked around by the record execs and the promotion of the album. In fact, the album 'Matthew' (one of my fave Keith albums) is one big angry reaction from Keith on how 'Black Elvis' was handled. Particularly this track:

Listen to the lyrics, it's a good summation of Keith's feelings on Black Elvis.

Having said that, I also like 'Black Elvis/Lost in Space', it might not be Dr. Octagon but it's a solid Keith album, and same as with every solid Keith album it still sounds ahead of its time even 10 years after its release. That Living Astro video you posted is brilliant, btw. Compare that to all those videos showing the same tired old shit over and over again: expensive cars, bling, ho's, and more bling. Fuck that shit - I want some goddamned creativity in hip-hop videos! Stuff like this:

Classic :)

I was always a fan of Dr. Dooom ...

... though I've not heard Black Elvis all the way through!

Dr. Dooom - First Come, First Served is one of the best hip-hop albums ever created, and I won't hear otherwise. I would post some other classic tracks from the album, but there are already too many vids in this post as it is. The second Dooom album was totally different, more a Keith album than Dooom, but it was still excellent, especially compared to the stuff that's coming out of bigger hip-hop acts lately. I love this low-budget vid (just one more):

Thanks that last post, I'm currently blasting my way through my awesome Kool Keith Kollection. Amazing stuff, how many classic albums can one man drop? He's also made some really awful shit, but when he's good, he's fucking brilliant. This thread can only get better with some more classic Keith videos, so fuck it I'm posting two more:

"yeah, Kool keith should keep it real, he should rap about space and mars" ;) Pay special attention to Keith bursting through the door at the start wearing a cowboy hat and a cape to tell the fat cats what's what. And of course, the bit at the end where he hands Michael Jackson his glove, which prompts Michael to give Keith a bowl a bowl of cornflakes which he eats while Mad Mike busts some crazy moves. Now THAT'S a video, kids.

I may be seeing Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy and Soulja Boy (meh) on 6th September in Florida. EXPLOSIVE REPORT COMING SOON.

Can you bring a gun along to the concert and shoot all 3 of them please. If not for me do it for the good of Hip Hop

Just pimping my little bro's podcast, they do them every Sunday...good for a laugh and a few decent tunes:

SOUTH TOAST RADIO VOLUME 3 (PODCAST)

Presented by Scizzahz and Wizard. Real radio fire coming straight out of Hastings, featuring speacial guest Vecks, also features brand new tracks from Sean Price, Lil Fame, Conflix, Micall Parknsun, Jehst, Rah Digga and more, plus serious cultural chat, live freestyles, gun punch of the week, sports news and much more. DOWNLOAD NOW and get it in!!!

http://sharebee.com/224d321b

I've got a wee puzzle for all the rap music scholars out there. Check this Madlib-produced track by MED, from the Chrome Children comp:

Where else have I heard that wee melody? It's obviously some old skool, screechy synth version here, but I'm sure I've heard the exact same "tune" in at least one other rap song. Thing is, I don't even know where to begin looking. I can't remember if the other version is on a guitar, on strings, bass guitar, or being sung. I can't even think what strain of hip-hop it's on. It could be anything from Dr Dre to Blackalicious, or something inbetween. Maybe it's an obvious one, or maybe there isn't even a link. Anyone know bout dat?

I've got a wee puzzle for all the rap music scholars out there. Check this Madlib-produced track by MED, from the Chrome Children comp:

Where else have I heard that wee melody? It's obviously some old skool, screechy synth version here, but I'm sure I've heard the exact same "tune" in at least one other rap song.

It's 'Don't Look any further' by Denis Edwards, and it was first used on 'Paid in Full'. You really should know that.

Also seen on JVC Force's 'Envy for Another', and a few other oldskool tracks.

Pffft.

FUCK ME, of course it's Paid In Full :lol:

My excuse? There's a lot of rap knowledge swamping my aging brain. I knew I knew it from somewhere. I also knew I'd be kicking myself. Little did I know however just how obvious it was. Fuck asking the hip-hop thread, bloody SeanR coulda solved that one :(

But it was driving me nuts, so cheers.

Cal, I think this is like one of those magic eye pictures where sometimes you just can't see shit. I didn't hear 'Paid in Full' either, and I listened to it fucking YESTERDAY.

Yeah, I know the one. Pretty sure it's '85 though, man. :lol:

I'm kinda diggin' all that brash, heavy metal-sampling stuff at the minute. Until it popped up on iTunes last night, I don't think I'd ever listened to that MC Player track before and I think it's kinda cool. Some more little curios like that wouldn't go amiss if you're in the mood for recommendations?

Calashnikov's stunning admission

Fuck this :lol:

It was a mental block :blush:

I did the same thing earlier with that Stakes Is High sample. I've been doing a lot of smoking, drinking and music listening lately. I'm a fucking mess up there right now :wacko: