This is Hip-Hop.

@Camel it's worth following Stu on social media, he's constantly posting footage of him going nuts on his drum machine. Fun to watch:

I think it was RA who once cracked a joke of him being such a jacked dude sitting behind a tiny drum machine, his muscles making the buttons hard to reach :lol: RA don't give a fuck

Now we all got our Spotify 2020 look backs, I thought I'd do something fun to liven things up. I hereby proudly present Mr. Gerbik's top 5 tracks for 2020*

(*according to Spotify)

(and yes, all hip hop tracks)

Top of the list, straight to number one with a mini gun's worth of bullets: Ra the Rugged Man's killer lyrical track 'Dragon Fire' featuring legends Ghostface and G Rap. Oh and Masta Killa is on there too. Those who know me are probably really fucking tired of me singing this album's praises. But the fact is, it's really one of the best and most pure hip hop albums I've ever heard. And this track puts together RA's most favourite lyrical MC's of all time. Fair enough, for him Masta Killa is one of them but I dunno man... I would have gone with Inspectah Deck but - it's not my track. Ghostface proves he's unassailable in his status as one of the best of all time here. He kills it. G Rap sometimes doesn't put in his most when featuring on someone else's track - and it seems like he'll feature on literally anything as long as the cheque clears - but here he goes all in. You can tell. The "Wu-Tang Wu-Tang" chanting still gives me goosebumps when it kicks in. And again when it switches over to "Juice Crew All-Stars"

Second place - 'GOAT' by Recognize Ali who was unknown to me before this track. It bumps and since I often listen to hip hop while working out and doing chores, I often choose to listen to stuff that's get up and go. Shit that gets me hype. I always thought @Boozy The Clownwould love the above track but not sure if he's got me on ignore or not. Somebody else page him please if so.

Third place is for eLZhi with his track 'Jason'. Never heard of him before Spotify randomly threw him up but this track I stuck to. For the same reason as GOAT above, it gets me hype and I think sounds dope. He's also an excellent lyricist, far more versatile than Recognize Ali above, but I know nothing about him. I think I read something about him being from Detroit, which fits because I can hear a lot of Royce here. I also had a big horror phase when I was around 12 or 13, so the subject speaks to me.

Now THIS is a fucking track here in fourth place. THIS is HIP HOP. Thanks to our proximity to the UK (I can see all of youse across the water!) and to this forum, I've always kept an eye on the UK scene. And it's fucking great. Unlike the above two tracks, this one isn't just for the get up and go, headbang shit. This is the complete picture, lyricism, skills, topical, political, I love it. Fliptrix definitely added to my follow list.

I know King Magnetic from a bazillion featurings, first time hearing him solo. Love the Tone Spliff oldschool type production, love the delivery, the punchlines. Same as Ali and eLZhi above, it just sounds dope.

Also in my top 10 of 2020 and definitely worth posting:

Symphony 2000, G Rap featuring Big Pun and KRS. It doesn't get much more hip hop than this.

YES, Lords of Underground featuring Onyx. A team up that should have happened 25 years ago and would have blown teenage Gerbik's mind. That this is in my top 10 most listened tracks probably tells you how old I am.  Sticky being Sticky in this video and it's hilarious

This is really good, like Illmatic, Enter The Wu Tang, Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx, Madvillainy level good.

Artist: Your Old Droog

Album: Dump YOD: Krutoy Edition

Tracklist:

1. Dump YOD (Intro) - 00:00

2. Kazakhstan - 01:30

3. Ukraine - 04:05

4. New Religion (feat. Tha God Fahim & Mach-Hommy) - 07:19

5. Matryoshka - 10:23 6. Odessa (feat. Billy Woods) - 17:06

7. Malchishka Krutoy (feat. Tvoy) - 19:59

8. Babushka III - 22:51

9. Uzbekistan (feat. Phonte & Mach-Hommy) - 25:01

10. Pravda (feat. Mach-Hommy, EI-P, Tha God Fahim & Black Thought) - 28:50

11. Kyrgyzstan - 34:49

12. Dump YOD (Outro) - 38:14

On 17/11/2020 at 21:01, Shoes said:

Old but we need as much Madlib as possible right now. 

So true, except this one is NEW Madlib :omg:

Fucking incredible. Check those drums. Real 90s soulful boom bap thing. I could imagine peak Pharcyde all on here rapping about their emotions and shit.

Madlib seems like he's been pretty busy. He's got this new album with Karriem Riggins too. Sort of Yesterday's New Quintet vibes.

These are the deets from yer man Four Tet on their project.

A few months ago I completed work on an album with my friend Madlib that we’d been making for the last few years. He is always making loads of music in all sorts of styles and I was listening to some of his new beats and studio sessions when I had the idea that it would be great to hear some of these ideas made into a Madlib solo album. Not made into beats for vocalists to use but instead arranged into tracks that could all flow together in an album designed to be listened to start to finish. I put this concept to him when we were hanging out eating some nice food one day and we decided to work on this together with him sending me tracks, loops, ideas and experiments that I would arrange, edit, manipulate and combine. I was sent hundreds of pieces of music over a couple of years stretch and during that time I put together this album with all the parts that fitted with my vision.

Here he is pictured outside east London's finest eatery, Brawn. Floating Points makes their mince pies.

Screenshot-2020-12-15-at-12.41.37.jpg