rllmuk
Calashnikov

This is Hip-Hop.

49 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

What's a good starter for decent hip hop. My wife and me and I bought her Atrocity Exhibition and I think it's a bit weird/dark for her. 

Danny Brown's previous album, Old, is a little more accessible and has a wide variety of styles.

Edan's 'Beauty and the Beat' is amazing.

Madvillainy. Don't know if it's a good start, but rap won't get better than Madvillainy.

• Upvote 1

Ok, she's given me some parameters now. 

I think she wants female. She said 'like a less poppy Nikki Minaj'. Not too offensive or angry I guess. 

Any ideas?

15 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I think she wants female. She said 'like a less poppy Nikki Minaj'. Not too offensive or angry I guess. 

Any ideas?

Rapsody is easiest the best female rapper these days.

• Upvote 1

On 30/01/2020 at 19:48, Horribleman said:

Any ideas?

I loved the Little Simz album. Some great beats, ryhmes, and guests. I rate her. She's from the UK.

I have been rinsing the Manga Saint Hilare back catalogue these past few weeks. Probably my favourite rapper at the moment, not just in grime. Criminally underrated.

Love this proper grime track he's just released.

He released an album before Christmas with Murkage Dave which is more my vibe though. This track is more of an old school hip hop track with a beauty of a beat.

Did anyone else see that Danny Brown had announced his UK tour? I know there's a few fans here. I've got a couple for the London show. Probably still available now.

A quick reminder in case you missed it - the RLLMUK music poll for the best albums of 2010-2019 is open until 16 February, and it would, as always, be brilliant to have your votes! You don’t have to have 20 albums - your vote counts, even if you have just one album you’ve liked from the last decade.

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/314473-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-the-decade-2010-19-list-thread-open-until-february-16/

A weird new Cage album appears from out of nowhere.

• Upvote 1

On 30/01/2020 at 20:48, Horribleman said:

Any ideas?

There are a lot of excellent female MC's, imo the best out there is Jean Grae:

Eternia is another, excellent production by Moss on the At Last album:

Snow tha Product is an MC on the level of the likes of Tech N9ne, her older stuff is more traditional hip hop like the one below and her newer stuff is more commercial hippity stuff that I, being old and shit, don't like but that's a matter of taste:

And if you want to go really hard and really old school, MC Lyte is one of the all-time greats (and I'm looking at @Camel like how you of all people not gonna mention MC Lyte man?):

:lol: Because she didn't really fit the requirement. She is without a doubt the best female to ever do it though.

• Upvote 1

Ha fair enough, but regardless of Horribleman saying "not too angry", I think it's fun to also mention a few female MC's in this thread for a change since we hardly ever do. And you know, "too" angry is very subjective :)

Super late to the party (made a semi-conscious decision at the end of last year to explore outside my music comfort zone) but TPAB seems like a weirdly logical follow on to 2001 to me. Stunning production, a lot of variety and some really nice sounds.

Bear in mind my Hip Hop education was

It Takes a Nation...

Dre 2001 + Marshall Mathers + Slim Shady + Doggy Style + Xzibit

Currently checking out Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, Clipping., Aesop Rock

Having a lot of fun between this and the electronic mess I'm buried in.

3 hours ago, esar said:

So many beards

Was just coming it to post that! Vinnie has been hanging out with R.A. a lot it sounds like, gat damn!