This is Hip-Hop.

On 03/04/2019 at 12:02, Shoes said:

Is it me, or does he namecheck baldy Mike Dean in it?

As nice as it is to think he's big upping a premier League ref, I suspect it's probably this one:

http://youtu.be/oZWqBWkzyFc

Diabolic actually has a new album out! 'Collusion' out on streamables now. You either know him from being that tall white dude standing next to Immortal Technique*, or not at all. I always thought he was a dope rhymer, glad he's doing stuff again.

*Who he's now beefing with as you might have guessed from the opening verse.

Edit: can't get that motherfucker to embed no matter what

Todd in the Shadows is a very good youtube music guy. One of his series goes in depth on the careers of famous one hit wonders (from an American perspective of course, some of the 'one hit wonders' we're or still are very popular acts in the UK) This is a fun video about House of Pain - Jump Around. The appalling stuff Everlast put out before that song, fuck me :lol:

I don't think I have ever been at party, wedding reception or an even vaguely rock-themed nightclub which hasn't played that song at some point during the night. When that opening fanfare hits everyone mobs the dancefloor! I wonder if it might be the most deeply-embedded into pop culture hip hop song ever? 

DJ Muggs was the genius on that song clearly, their other stuff is kind of the same song with worse production and crap beats

On 18/04/2019 at 23:54, deerokus said:

DJ Muggs was the genius on that song clearly, their other stuff is kind of the same song with worse production and crap beats

Can't say I agree with this. They had a raft of good beats. Everlast's limited MCing skills was their real problem and the Irish gimmick didn't help.

His Rhyme Syndicate days were far worse, it's true.

Love being out somewhere and the opening fanfare blares out and it turns out to be Harlem Shuffle :D

It's interesting reading about the debate around the iconic scream sample, especially when you know it's the same scream in an earlier Divine Styler song. Did they just lift it from that?

On 25/04/2019 at 17:31, Camel said:

Can't say I agree with this. They had a raft of good beats. Everlast's limited MCing skills was their real problem and the Irish gimmick didn't help.

His Rhyme Syndicate days were far worse, it's true.

Love being out somewhere and the opening fanfare blares out and it turns out to be Harlem Shuffle :D

It's interesting reading about the debate around the iconic scream sample, especially when you know it's the same scream in an earlier Divine Styler song. Did they just lift it from that?

Think it’s a Prince sample, no?

^Strangely not that out of place in the hallowed Rllmuk Hip Hop Recs thread.

Edan uploaded his 30-minute Echo Party mix with the video. It's one of my favourite mixes. The write-up is a good summary: 'The end result is essentially a fever-dream of fast moving audio vignettes that blur the line between the pre-existing recordings, and brand new composition.'

• Upvote 2