rllmuk
Calashnikov

This is Hip-Hop.

I'm not going to lie, as a longtime listener of gangster rap some of these UK Drill tunes are legitimately good. Headie One is a standout for me. But this stuff is really dark, I find a lot of straight up unlistenable because of it,  maybe because I'm older now or maybe because it seems so much more realistic than older forms of gangster rap seemed. It's morbid. And yet I think I'll always be interested in the music the youth of this country are making. It clearly says something about society that the music has taken such a dark turn. 

I think it's pretty sad that grime and whatever the hell UK drill is, just sounds like fucking awful trap music.

Autotune is bad enough when it's used for sung vocals, but there's no excuse to use it for rapping.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

Huey on Radio 6 has been playing some MF DOOM material this morning (15th anniversary of Madvillainy, apparently). Including KMD, the group he was in when he was young and used the name Zev Love X. Pretty fun to hear that stuff on the radio. 

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Huey on Radio 6 has been playing some MF DOOM material this morning (15th anniversary of Madvillainy, apparently). Including KMD, the group he was in when he was young and used the name Zev Love X. Pretty fun to hear that stuff on the radio. 

Huey always plays a lot of hip hop on his show, which is nice as Radio 6 has to be one of the whitest radio stations there is usually.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

Huey always plays a lot of hip hop on his show, which is nice as Radio 6 has to be one of the whitest radio stations there is usually.

Yeah it is, when he has to play the playlisted generic indie white people with guitars pish Steve '400 years in the music industry and still has appalling taste' Lamacq loves you can hear the disdain dripping off him. His show is easily my favourite on that station. I think he even played some czarface a few weeks ago? 

(Their weekend night stuff tends to be a bit more diverse).  

18 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Nipsey Hussle has been murdered. 

I had no idea who he was and after sampling some of his music earlier today, I cant say I am too bothered about that.

It's still sad he's dead though but I can't imagine many people will be listening to his music 20 years from now like they do with Biggie, Tupac and Big L.

The problem I have with modern commercial hip hop is just how all samey it is.

Almost every rapper, no matter where they come from all pretty much sound the same.  I miss the days when rappers from New York, Atlanta, LA etc, all had their own style and flows, heck even a lot of UK hip hop now sounds like auto-tuned trap crap.

On 30/03/2019 at 12:30, Calashnikov said:

Been listening this track a fucktonne all week. It is immense.

Is it me, or does he namecheck baldy Mike Dean in it?

Kane on their other track. Can't fucking wait for the LP.

I really like that Little Simz album. As 'UK Hip Hop with a well reviewed album that came out recently' goes, a lot better than Dave I feel. Much more interesting musically. 

I appreciate that Czarface put out instrumental versions of their albums, perfect for playing in my work where the actual rapping wouldn't go down well. 

On 03/04/2019 at 12:02, Shoes said:

Is it me, or does he namecheck baldy Mike Dean in it?

As nice as it is to think he's big upping a premier League ref, I suspect it's probably this one: