This is Hip-Hop.

Calashnikov

• 2 weeks later...

That Ghostface-calling-out-Action video is really something. Raw, laden with threats and insults obviously borne out of creeping exasperation. It's an amazing emotional one-take extended skit.

Since giving an early AB release a proper listen (Well Done, the Statik Selectah produced one) and doing the same with most of the following ones my take on the Action vs Ghost debate has pretty much been that anyone who thinks that Action's style is a fraud, that he's a clear Ghostface ripoff act hasn't really listened to either artist enough: Action's blessed / cursed with having very similar tone to Ghost (of maybe circa '95-96), and has been consistent with it since he seemed to appear, identity fully formed. Their similarity has always been superficial to my ears - I can't think of a single track of either artist that could seriously be mistaken as coming from the other, though Ghost obviously wouldn't agree with that.

I can't imagine a couple of apologetic tweets will quell what is Ghostface finally venting fury in sync with Teddy Pendergrass. I might have to go back to Daily Motion and watch it again.

And with regards to that new Black Eyed Peas - I think once is enough for me but can appreciate how the onslaught of references might make someone's day. Just not mine as the whole thing came off as overcooked to point of cornball. Also I'm guessing they're happy to give all the publishing away despite wholesale recreating rather than sampling. At least it was unexpected.

By doing an horrific jive bunny style rip of people with a thousand times more talent than them? Absolutely awful

It's the best thing they've done in years! They get a free pass because they use actual hip hop beats, and the rhyming is actually in time with them.

I'll take morphine when I can't get heroin in this instance - nobody is on the true skool tip so I'll get my beats where I can. Horrendous chorus or otherwise.

Also I'm guessing they're happy to give all the publishing away despite wholesale recreating rather than sampling. At least it was unexpected.

I did wonder if they'd recreated the samples. These firms that recreate classic breaks are getting better and better - fooling even my discerning ear (on first listen).

They've definitely used the Amen break for the straight outta compton section though. If that's a recreation then I'm hanging up my hip hop nerd crown.

I thought Ice Cube wrote the rhymes that E say? Obviously not during the beefin years...

Not everything, but Will was first signed to Ruthless, and wrote some of Eazy's verses:

HipHopDX: When you first started, you were signed to Ruthless Records and you were ghostwriting for Eazy E. What was that like?

Will.I.Am: Eazy E was…I was in high school, so it was a dream come true. To be in 11th grade, 12th grade, and you’re running with Eazy. NWA was, still, think about what they were in 92, 93. That was unbelievable. That’s like being in high school right now, and you’re working with…you can’t compare it. You can’t compare it to 50 Cent or Jay-Z, because Eazy E was the first nigga.

http://speechismyhammer.com/features/will-i-am-hiphopdx/

That Blackeyed Peas thing - ugh no. Good video though.

nobody is on the true skool tip so I'll get my beats where I can.

What does this even mean?

Anyone got a link to a video of Ghost's rant that works? The youtube one has been restricted from working in the UK (or something).

Can't believe Bronson would have the audacity to say about Ghost. He's gone from humble 'hey it's great if people compare me to him because he's one of the best' to 'yeah, he's not as good as me now'. Silly boy.

Even though the lazy journalism / comparisons with Ghost must have *really* started to grate after all these years he handled that situation exceptionally badly - dismissing an OG - an elder - on a televised platform during promo for his own 'proper' album.. and then apologising over the phone, tweeting some apologies / references and then deleting said tweets afterwards. Now he's taken some real damage to his image.

I've already enjoyed Ghost's smartphone response more than anything either of them have put out in years though. It's smashed its way into my rap highlights of the year and reminded me of why Ghost has the rep he has.

Action's gonna be finding out who his real friends are whilst this is still fresh.

Edited by spanky debrest

Lmfao, I love Ghostface but my God this is just pathetic! Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit, Ghost certainly is, but it just seems lame when a guy in his 40s is getting offended by such a little thing. It's probably just publicity, something they both cooked up, but still.

I've always thought Action Bronson sounds like a winier version of Ghostface anyway!

"You walk around the club with no shoes on..bigass beard, that one day I might set that shit on fire just for saying my name.."

"I want you to enjoy your summer"

For these two quotes alone - delivered with murderous intent over such a beautiful tune - this video can be regarded a modern GFK classic in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

What, oh man tragic news about Sean P, that was a real rapper right there.

I just came here to post this year old or whatever MOP banger I just heard tonight. You have to love the way MOP refuse to innovate or change their MO in any way at all, at least based on this tune. Even for the title, it's like they deliberately chose the most hackneyed thugism in the thug rap text book haha. Still bangs though