This is Hip-Hop.

Works out fine for Run the Jewels!

Meow The Jewels wasn't a calculated business decision though, if that's what you're referring to, and proceeds go to the families of Garner and Martin from what I recall.

Anyway I accidentally discovered the main source of a lot of the samples used by Bobcat on MC Ren's 'Behind The Scenes' cut from Kizz My Black Azz. Feels good. Skip to 1.43 on the Dramatics tune for the base loop:

MC Ren-Behind The Scenes-Kizz My...Black Azz: https://youtu.be/7Z1IcADWfSw

Dramatics "Now You Got Me Loving You": https://youtu.be/0d_zDgfYbXQ

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys any of you listening to IceT's Final Level podcast? Been on for about a year now, and varies in quality, but they have some fantastic guests including Grandmaster Cas on the most recent.

Well worth listening to.

Damn WTF was Tyler on with Cherry Bomb? The Mastering is awful at times.

That aside, Find your wings is fantastic. A real Roy Ayres vibe and showcases he musical ability. Fuck me if its not hit and miss. But that one is a total winner.

Other crap i can't stand right now :

Bodega Bamz - Sidewalk Exec. Awful. Shit LP name too.

Fashawn - The Ecology - uugghhhhh. Nope. Not feeling this at all.

On the plus side.

Joey Badass's - B4.DA.$$ - Cracking LP.

Some light overtones (i get the impression he wants to chart at times) but some great tracks...

Piece of Mind, Big Dusty and Christ Conscious are fantastic.

The last two are real hard nodding hardcore. Great LP.

I really liked Fashawn's recent-ish FASHionably Late EP, but then its impossible to go wrong with Alchemist's production.

Loving Ganksta NIP's South Park Psycho album. As great as these grand modern statements are nothing is as entertaining as an ultra hard core early '90s Rap-A-Lot album, and I finally got round to digesting the most ridiculous one of them all. Amazing stuff.

It finally (officially) explained to me why there was apparently TWO versions of their 'first' album - Rick Rubin took it, fiddled with it, had some of the vocals re-done and re-output it on his own 'Def America' label.

What I don't quite get then, is why older (shitter) versions of the tracks appear on various compilations and re-issues of those albums.

For reference:

Shit version:

post-432-0-55822000-1430817262.jpg

The correct (and perfect) version:

post-432-0-66024300-1430817277.jpeg

Also, never quite got why they swapped out the masterful 'Gangster of Love' sample (Steve Miller) for the 'Sweet Home Alabama' one (which now appears to be the only version available). Can't find any mentions of copyright problems anywhere.

I was lucky enough to discover them at the time (the 'Geto Boys' album), as I was staying on an American base in Italy at the time, and someone was playing them at a beach party. I came back to the UK, but non of the import shops had it for about 6 months.

Ahh, the Geto boys. Brilliant - right up until the fantastic 'To Death Do Us Part'. After that Dre's insidious G-Funk influence on the rap scene ruined everything.

The redoing of a few verses made it hard to choose a definitive version of a classic track, such is with Mind Of A Lunatic. I think I prefer 'Face's and Willie D's pre-Rubin-ised takes, though its so close the tracks have to be considered as legit alternates. And to me they're not sonically beefed up enough to be considered superior so the whole endeavour seems a bit weird on purely creative terms.

Willie D is definitely one of my all time favourite MCs though, such a clear cut vocal genius/writer.

And I agree about the G-Funk sound creep that adversely affected some artists who should've steered clear, but such is the way with fashion. There's none of that kind of slick LA flavour on any of the early solo Geto Boys albums, and even Willie D's 3rd one from '94 stakes out its own sound despite a few heavy nods to the George Clinton and DJ Quik. No one can touch how hard and hilarious some of these tracks are.

Copyright issues definitely switched up the samples as the wild west became lawyered-up. I'm always reminded of Phill Most Chill's Baritone Tiplove 'Livin' Foul' album: Incredibly hard, funky ass, meticulous post-Bomb Squad-esque production, utilisation of a tape-pitched alter ego 10 years before Madlib came out with Quasimoto and containing songs that should be considered rap standards... that few people heard as only a handful of copies exist on tape, with the label cancelling the CD release due to none of the 577 or so samples even planned to be processed for clearance. It was all of a sudden a lot cheaper to hire session guys to perform P-Funk derived bits in the studio than to commercially legitimise these songs.

The redoing of a few verses made it hard to choose a definitive version of a classic track, such is with Mind Of A Lunatic. I think I prefer 'Face's and Willie D's pre-Rubin-ised takes, though its so close the tracks have to be considered as legit alternates. And to me they're not sonically beefed up enough to be considered superior so the whole endeavour seems a bit weird on purely creative terms.

Dunno. Those 'grip it' versions just sound (vocally) like a 'first run through' in some cases. Point taken about different lyrics. Sonically though, in many cases the Rubin version are just so much more polished - compare and contrast between the two versions of 'Scarface'. Rubin added actors voices into the background ( "I'm sorry AK don't kill I was joking griff!!!" in verse 3) - which really adds to the menace and cinematic feel. The levels are better set (the original backing beat of 'Life in the fast line' is a little too hard for that smooth harmonica sample).

Maybe your like your beats a little more raw.

As far as humour goes - yeah - those albums have quotable for years.

"Now grannies on the way to meet the devil".

"900 missiles blew a little girls back off".

"Pick em up, then I make em feel comfortable,

Crackin jokes, as if I was Cliff Huxtable"
Never really checked out any of the solo albums - probably should get on that.
  • 2 weeks later...

Grandmaster Flash Collection, 100min mix and 50odd classic separate tracks is just £2.99 on Google play right now.

Bargain for a good mix and a load of tracks ( which most of you probably already own most of... :P)

He did that song actually. He absolute killed it. A small venue suits him. Well, actually, any venue suits him.

Here he is pre-hug, in the middle of the chaos he caused by getting off the stage, lager perilously close to his ear:

post-19010-0-54058800-1432233405_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Czarface is awesome, the previous album was great. Looking forward to the new one, and I'm liking that track - including Doom to be honest. The new album also features RA the Rugged Man apparently, new Rugged is always worth checking out and doubly so on Czarface-type beat.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody here heard about Chris Rivers? he's the son of none other than "Mr Little Italy" himself, Big Pun. Chris isn't signed (yet) but has been dropping mixtapes for a few years now and he seems to have inherited his dad's talent:

Some dude on YouTube sliced two tracks from Pun and Rivers together, which makes for a nice contrast and compare. Just try to ignore that Rivers audibly uses cheaper/inferior recording equipment:

More background info (including about his dad, the beef between his mom and Fat Joe, and how Joe allegedly kept all of Pun's money for himself) in the video below, freestyle from 10:40 onwards and the kid can definitely freestyle like a motherfucker: