IGNORED

This is Hip-Hop.

Calashnikov

Hmm... gotta be honest and say I'm not MASSIVELY loving El-P's Cancer 4 Cure album. Some of the tracks are great, certainly, (the eXqo/D.Brown track ripped it, as expected) but a few moments really clunk for me. I'm not gonna be too down on it, however, because a lot of great albums have sounded like that to me on first listen. What's everyone else saying to it?

:( Shit. I haven't heard it yet as the vinyl isn't out yet, but that doesn't sound good.

Killer Mike is amazing though, so that's something at least.

Cool, i'm sure it will be good, i'm not cancelling my preorder yet!

This is great:

:wacko: So good. Great use of the original acapella . A wee production like that is a marvellous thing to hear if you're a Marvin nut like me. It's just a tiny glimpse into the music he's no doubt making up there in heaven just now, with all the contemporary sounds that have come about since he left earth.

In a studio environment like that El-P might kinda suffer a bit (although I actually thought it was quite good) but generally I think he puts on a pretty great show. I'd say he's comfortably up there with the best live hip-hop artists I've seen.

In a studio environment like that El-P might kinda suffer a bit (although I actually thought it was quite good) but generally I think he puts on a pretty great show. I'd say he's comfortably up there with the best live hip-hop artists I've seen.

I saw him at Dedbeat with Aesop Rock, and yeah he was great. You're probably right in that the Letterman Show is a bit of a weird setting for El-P so it didn't come across that well, to me at least.

Yeah I was at that Dedbeat too, his set was fucking great. He was even better when I saw him at King Tut's in Glasgow on the I'll Sleep When You're Dead tour.

I'm really enjoying his new album. It's definitely a grower though, at first I was a bit under-whelmed, but on repeat listenings there are just so many lovely little layers of warm synthy joy in there. Tbh, I think waiting 5 years is gonna make any album seem a little disappointing on the first few listens. Got to say I wasn't too impressed by Danny Brown's verse, have heard much better from him and think he was just a bit confused by the slightly crazy beat. Despot's verse on the other hand made me think that maybe he can actually mc a wee bit, everything else I have heard by him before has been shite.

Fucking loving RAP Music too.

Dunno, I think Danny ripped that one. The Ric Flair reference killed it. Also, he deals in nothing but crazy beats. I think he sounded right at home there.

Still need to check the Killer Mike album. I anticipate enjoying that one even more than El-P's album, which has certainly grown on me a fair bit since my initial murmurrings.