Let Me In

SpaceJump

Like has been said though, it doesn't actually matter that they're remaking it, the original will still be a beautiful film that will more than likely be more widely seen because of the remake. It's not like the Watchmen film where you feel the reputation of the original material is being misrepresented and damaged by the film.

Cloverfield wasn't really like The Host though, was it? Monster films they may be but both told very different stories and in very different ways.

To counter most of the negativity in this thread I suspect this film won't come close to the original (which is a little overrated, if I'm honest) but will be a solid movie. I'd be surprised if it is quite the train wreck many here expect/want.

Cloverfield wasn't really like The Host though, was it?

I wasn't saying it was like The Host, just in terms of which 'huge monster terrifies a city' movie was best, clearly The Host was the better film.

Also, yeah, I'm not sure how I know this, but I do know that Let Me In will be utterly fucking rubbish. It'll be a massive flop at the box office, even though it'll be billed as being "FROM THE PEOPLE BEHIND CLOVERFIELD" which will be misleading from the offset. Seriously, no more words, this will be shit.

If, as is being claimed, it is truer to the book, then there's a high chance it will be a very different film. I will avoid giving any spoiler details but suffice it to say that the film was way more subtle and moving than the schlocky, but still enjoyable, book. In fact, there was so much OTT stuff left out in the original that there is scope to make an entirely different film from the same source material.

• 5 months later...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/06/let-me...r-2010-release/

Overture Films has announced a release date for Matt Reeves‘ Let Me In, the American adaptation of Let the Right One In. The film is scheduled to hit theaters on October 1st, 2010. Currently shooting in New Mexico, the film directed by Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) stars Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Road), Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass) and Oscar® nominee Richard Jenkins (The Visitor).

---

An alienated 12-year-old boy befriends a mysterious young newcomer in his small New Mexico town, and discovers an unconventional path to adulthood in Let Me In, a haunting and provocative thriller written and directed by filmmaker Matt Reeves (Cloverfield).

Twelve-year old Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is viciously bullied by his classmates and neglected by his divorcing parents. Achingly lonely, Owen spends his days plotting revenge on his middle school tormentors and his evenings spying on the other inhabitants of his apartment complex. His only friend is his new neighbor Abby (Chloe Moretz), an eerily self-possessed young girl who lives next door with her silent father (Oscar®nominee Richard Jenkins). A frail, troubled child about Owens’s age, Abby emerges from her heavily curtained apartment only at night and always barefoot, seemingly immune to the bitter winter elements. Recognizing a fellow outcast, Owen opens up to her and before long, the two have formed a unique bond.

When a string of grisly murders puts the town on high alert, Abby’s father disappears, and the terrified girl is left to fend for herself. Still, she repeatedly rebuffs Owen’s efforts to help her and her increasingly bizarre behavior leads the imaginative Owen to suspect she’s hiding an unthinkable secret.

The gifted cast of Let Me In takes audiences straight to the troubled heart of adolescent longing and loneliness in an astonishing coming-of-age story based on the best-selling Swedish novel Lat den Ratte Komma In (Let the Right One In) by John Ajvide Lindqvist, and the highly-acclaimed film of the same name.

post-242-1262812821.jpg

• 4 months later...
Getting a steady trickle of images now.

let-me-in-rubiks.jpg

It seems they've swapped the cool blues of the original for a dirty orange.

Blue and orange continue to take over cinema :eyebrows:

There's something about that picture that doesn't look right to me. It's as ugly as a mule's butt.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is that a lot of people in Britain and America actually are thick as fuck and refuse to watch foreign language films. Of course, most of them won't bother with anything vaguely challenging either, so this film is probably screwed anyway.

My point exactly. I once saw a chavesque couple storm out of Pans Labyrinth at an art cinema in Bristol because "ITS IN FUCKING FOREIGN". They demanded their money back, it was funny.

Anyone dumb enough to insist on English language films isn't going to enjoy the subtle tale weaved in the original LTROI. If the remake dumbs it down a load, it might find an audience. It's a good idea, make a shit dumb version of a good film so the chavs and rednecks can enjoy it. Coming soon - 'The lives of others', starring Eddie Murphy.

My point exactly. I once saw a chavesque couple storm out of Pans Labyrinth at an art cinema in Bristol because "ITS IN FUCKING FOREIGN". They demanded their money back, it was funny.

Practically every foreign language film on Lovefilm has at least one 1 star review with the person complaining that the DVD wasn't in English. Even my brother-in-law refuses to watch any foreign language or black and white films.

Practically every foreign language film on Lovefilm has at least one 1 star review with the person complaining that the DVD wasn't in English. Even my brother-in-law refuses to watch any foreign language or black and white films.

So stupid, but hey, it's their loss, isn't it?

At my local cinema, they plaster any film that has even a hint of subtitles with stickers warning that it has (and in small print that they dont refund tickets for this reason). I do wonder how many people complained before they did that though.

When I used to work at GAME one of the regulars who everyone hated once said to someone else there "I dont pay for a colour TV license to watch black and white films". The guy he said that to, who was a huge film buff, said "well you're a dick then". Probably a good thing our manager didnt hear that one.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the original. The shots look like they are going for the same style visually, we'll see though.

I understood the palette change when I heard it was being set in Mexico, and the rumour was it would be in the desert. But seeing as these new shots clearly show it's still set in a snowy environment (I wasn't even aware Mexico had snow), having it all bathed in yellow just looks a bit garish to me.

I found the icy cool blues of the original felt really quite beautiful and relaxing, matching the pace of the film well. Snowy streets bathed in yellow streetlight, on the other hand, just happen to remind me of Middlesbrough in the winter a bit much.

A remake doesn't take anything away from the original, if anything it might open the original up to a new audience who might not have heard of it.

Can't see what the problem is really.

You are all just snobs :)

The problem is remaking films that don't have to be remade so quickly i mean LTROI was made in 2008 do we really need a remake so quickly?

Sometimes the orignal language adds to the overall feeling of the movie in LTROI case it was the ghostly otherworldliness.

As competent as the remake of the film may be i doubt it will be as good as the original.

Ironically, I have a friend who almost redresses the balance by being averse to the vast majority of non-foreign language films - not because of snobbery, but because she needs the subtitles to keep her focussed (otherwise she gets fidgety and bored). So, another non cinéaste, but one whose uninterest manifests in her watching more foreign films :)

The problem is remaking films that don't have to be remade so quickly i mean LTROI was made in 2008 do we really need a remake so quickly?

Sometimes the orignal language adds to the overall feeling of the movie in LTROI case it was the ghostly otherworldliness.

As competent as the remake of the film may be i doubt it will be as good as the original.

Does the timescale really matter though? 2 years or 20, what does it matter.

Don't get me wrong I love LTROI but Im also looking forward to this remake.

I understood the palette change when I heard it was being set in Mexico, and the rumour was it would be in the desert. But seeing as these new shots clearly show it's still set in a snowy environment (I wasn't even aware Mexico had snow), having it all bathed in yellow just looks a bit garish to me.

I found the icy cool blues of the original felt really quite beautiful and relaxing, matching the pace of the pace of the film well. Snowy streets bathed in yellow streetlight, on the other hand, just happen to remind me of Middlesbrough in the winter a bit much.

New Mexico. In the US. Yeah, it's a border state but it does snow there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quietly looking forward to this. I enjoy Moretz and Smit-McPhee as actors, both have given strong performances in great films this very year, and I'm interested in seeing what Reeves will do as director. While I'm not a fan of Cloverfield, there were segments that were massively enjoyable, so hopefully he'll be able to deliver a better all around experience seeing as this isn't restricted to the first-person viewpoint. By far the best sounding part of this film however is Richard Jenkins in the role of the carer. the moment I heard of that casting decision my viewpoint on the film changed, honestly could not think of a better actor suited to the role. So yeah, quietly optimistic.

[yt]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Wow. Some of that looks like it's literally shot-for-shot. What's the point? (Yeah, I know: it's because people won't watch the best films in the world if they have to read a tiny bit of text at the same time. It's still completely baffling, though.)

It'll be interesting to see if they keep the ambiguity around the vamp's companion and the fate of the young boy.

EDIT: Yes, I agree, cookie, it does look nice. But no nicer than - nor really any different to - the original. It'll make for some interesting comparisons though, and the fact that it looks so similar in many ways actually makes me more likely to try and see it. Which I will.

Unsure how I feel about that trailer. The selective editing makes it seem like a more action packed film, and while it may indeed look pretty, I agree with the sentiments regarding its similarity to the original.

But really I'm just whining as there wasn't enough Richard Jenkins in that trailer.