IGNORED

Europa Cup

SaintM

UTAKA DIGS POMPEY OUT OF HOLE!

( nathan ) Portsmouth17.gif ( 4 - 2 ) 76.gifSampdoria ( ASM )

Tonight was manager nathan's first game in the Europa League in charge of his Portsmouth outfit. Looking solid in the league and bravely going down to Real Madrid in the League Cup 5-4 earlier in the week. Confidence was on a high going into tonight's fixture with the Italians at Fratton Park.

The match started with a very fast pace about it. Both teams were going straight for the goal with both sides not looking to just sit on possession and pass the ball around, it was Pompey though who had the best chances of the opening half hour of the game with Bouba Diop going close with a header from close range but was saved from the Italian shot stopper. Sampdoria weathered the storm from the Pompey attack and got themselves in the game with some great attacking play which resulted in a goalmouth scramble which the Portsmouth defense couldn't get away but luckily Sampdoria were unable to take advantage of this. It wasn't shortly after though that the deadlock was broken. It was the away team that grabbed it thanks to Pazzini with a great strike to silence the home crowd. Luckily for the home supporters they didn't have to wait long before they were jumping up and down after only a minute later Sampdoria conceded thanks to a well taken goal from Gekas. The scorers were level at the break and looking very tight.

The second period begun in much the same style as the first with both teams not looking to stay on the ball for long, both going straight for goal and it was that man again Pazzini who grabbed his second of the night and edge the Italians closer to the 3rd round. Manager, nathan wasn't going to let his players lie down and he forced his players high up the pitch to push for the equalizer. 20 minutes had passed since the second goal and finally Pompey could breathe a sigh of relief when their hitman upfront John Utaka struck on the 76th minute to level matters. Although Utaka was not finished there he went on to grab two more and take the match ball home with him. Manager nathan could not believe his luck when he seen his side go 4-2 up and were able to see the game out. Sampdoria were left very frustrated by these events and were extremely unlucky not to at least take the game to a replay but it wasn't to be and Portsmouth maintain the belief that they can go very far in this year's Europa League!

john-utaka_1405711c.jpg

Utaka celebrates his second of the night to give Pompey the lead at 3-2!

Scorers:

Gekas

Utaka (3)

Thanks alot for the abrupt games mate, I thought that you deserved a lot more out of the game, with a little more luck you would of taken that game or at the very minimum took it to a replay. I don't feel as though i deserved to go through but it happens and i wish you luck for the remainder of your campaign mate!

UTAKA DIGS POMPEY OUT OF HOLE!

snip

No worries Nathan I really enjoyed the match, I was a little disapointed with the result. I thought up a pretty decent performance for two thirds of the match, but the Sampdoria defence just fell short, as I pushed on to trying to grab an equaliser when it was 3 -2.

Cheers for the game and good luck in the rest of the cup.

My terrible form continued yesterday with a 2-0 defeat to Billy Brown's Fulham.

Game was very, very close and both of us hit the woodwork twice. He scored midway through the second half and broke when I was pushing for an equaliser to score a nice header in the 90th minute.

Well played mate, see you in the league!

2 draws and 6 defeats in my last 8 league and cup fixtures, I really need to improve my form or relegation is a certainty

Liédson Brace Puts Sporting Through

128.gifSporting CP (Hereticboy) 2 - 0 Werder Bremen (Goldbricker58.gif

I felt a bit bad winning this game, as things were clearly not going right for Goldbricker. There were plenty of random passes for both sides in this game. The nature of the game was summed up when players from both teams went for a header, only to miss it and let it out for a throw-in. I scored my first goal somewhat early on in the 26th minute. I'd put pressure on the defence earlier and I managed to break through. A cross from the left hand side looped above the defence for Romagnoli to latch onto. He took a shot and the keeper parried it into Liédson's path to slot it home.

The rest of the game was fairly even and I only created near-chances, and not anything I should have scored from. The game basically petered out until I scored the winner on the 78th minute through Liédson. Another cross from the left took advantage of a lovely run from Liédson. The ball found him clear of the defence, and he headed the ball past the keeper with aplom. This gave me a decent bit of relief as I kept thinking that Goldbricker was going to get a late equaliser towards the end.

liedsonjoao.jpg

Liédson has been in fine form this season, scoring 12 goals in 10 league games.

Match stats

Sporting CP	-	Werder Bremen
10 Shots 3
7 On target 3
54 Possession 46
20 Tackles 18
2 Fouls 0
1 Yellow cards 0
0 Red cards 0
2 Corners 0
70% Shot acc 100%
77% Passing acc 77%

Cheers for the game, mate. Good luck with the rest of your season :angry:.

Palermo (*chin*) 1-1 Newcastle (Harbey)

Tight game that saw Viduka score a ridiculous header from a corner, then Bresciano equalises when one-on-one with the keeper. Replay required.

Newcastle 3-2 Palermo

Twice Newcastle took the lead and twice Palermo pegged them back. The Newcastle first came from another Newcastle corner which Harbey has obviously been practising. Bit skint really as the keeper doesn't really know how to deal with it. Floats to the back post, header smacks the crossbar and a Newcastle player follows up as the Palermo defence sit there like idiots. Newcastle played a 4-2-4 which showed off, for me, the crapness of FIFA. Get the ball and hoof it up field or play a long ball along the ground, bypassing midfield. The ball along the ground should never reach the front men as easy as it does in this game. The midfield is completely negated and makes for a ridiculous game. Add to that the ridiculous one touch passing that can be performed and how anyone can say this game is realistic is baffling to me.

Palermo equalised with a header from a corner. Newcastle's second came when Viduka got the ball on the edge of the box and noone wanted to get tackle him, he made a lumbering turn and scored. Palermo equalised again through use of the ridiculous passing that this game allows. The angles involved are ridiculous, but the final through ball is timed right and slotted home. Palermo had a chance to win the game when a through ball found Miccoli who hit the bar which bounced into the area and a scramble ensued. Newcastle's winner is a similar goal, using all of the 4 attackers available pass, pass, pass, Owen, goal.

Now this may be sour grapes, but I slept on it to let me calm down, but I cannot render any joy from a game that is so visibly flawed. Harbey's tactics were gypsy, but it was because of the game that they worked, and maybe my tactics weren't best to neutralise them but noone should get the success Harbey got. The one-touch passing is ridiculous, the angles that are pulled off are impossible and they completely sap the fun out of a "realistic" game. Being able to pass from front to back along the ground, while I use this a lot (not always intentionally), is completely fucked up. Holding Y to bring the keeper out, only for your player to keep running after the ball and passing it out for a corner is stupid, as is when you hold X or A to pressure the opposition and the ball breaks free and you run after it, but your player has decided to boot the ball as far as possible. Nothing you can do to stop it.

I know I shouldn't rant like this but I had to get it off my chest, it isn't all about the match against Harbey, although I think I should have won it, but the game is leaving me completely disillusioned. I'm tempted just to quit the league. I don't even take joy out of winning as most of my time is spent looking at flaws in the game, which almost always account for every goal scored.

Anyway, delete this post if you want. I just needed to get that off my chest.

My terrible form continued yesterday with a 2-0 defeat to Billy Brown's Fulham.

Game was very, very close and both of us hit the woodwork twice. He scored midway through the second half and broke when I was pushing for an equaliser to score a nice header in the 90th minute.

Well played mate, see you in the league!

2 draws and 6 defeats in my last 8 league and cup fixtures, I really need to improve my form or relegation is a certainty

Yeah, good game. It was extremely close as you say and the final scoreline certainly flattered me a little. Loads of chances at each end -- it really could have gone either way. As I said on the night, I'm sure you'll get your revenge in our league matches!

It will be you tactics that allowed that to happen. It is very easy to stop balls through the middle or over the top, did you not decide maybe in the second half to bring a 5th defender back? Or use a CDM or even two? What changes did you make to combat four strikers? Were they playing as a flat 4? Or was one in truth more of an attacking midfielder of sorts? (Something Harbey did against me I think last season)

Harbey found a tactic that had you beat and you seemed to struggle to counter that. You live and learn.

When we played in the League Cup I had many problems as I was still finding the tactic that best suit my play. Your game highlighted where I was going wrong and if you look at my results since things have improved drastically.

Yes there are flaws, Fifa is far from perfect, but it is a hell of a lot less flawed than other football titles of recent years. I love that in Fifa you can defend properly and frustrate the opposition, but yes the flaws that cause certain things can frustrate yourself. However while the game continues to improve with each incarnation, then I can live with the flaws. The same as I could live with the flaws in ISS (SNES) right through to Pro Evo 6 (PS2), it was the better cam and showed continued improvement (although ISS: PE2 is still the best title for my money in that series). As soon as those improvements stop happening the less forgiving I will become with the flaws. It is why myself and many like me have had to turn their backs on Konami's premier football titles after 15+ years. It isn't about loyalty, it is about playing the best football game on the market. Last year and more importantly this year it was EA's title, next year? Well let wait and see, but if I were a betting man, my money would be 'In the Game'.

Edit: This isn't having a go at you, so please don't take it that way. Just giving my feelings. :(

Edit: This isn't having a go at you, so please don't take it that way. Just giving my feelings. :(

Oh I understand completely. But as I said I wasn't having a go at Harbey really, if it reads like that I apologise, he found a tactic that worked and I couldn't counter it. I always play with 2 defensive midfielders and a flat back 4. And to be honest it was working fine until FIFA took hold. Its more to do with why the tactic worked, which was the passing system of FIFA. I have said it from the start that it is appalling and have seen no reason to change my mind. And as I said, I have taken advantage of the same system, but it is far from realistic and not at all enjoyable.

Anyway this is the Europa League thread. Don't mind me! :lol:

Shit man! I was going to post what an enjoyable and exciting game it had been (not due to the result, as everytime you equalised I was smiling). I guess it comes down to what you want out of a football game. I appreciate there are parts of FIFA which can be exploited; there are areas which still need fixing; and there are elements which aren't 100% realistic. But for me, I think the balance of 'sim' vs fun are about right. If every pass had to be carefully controlled and lined up I'm not sure I would find it quite as enjoyable.

Anyway, sorry you didn't enjoy the game, but good luck in the league.

Shit man! I was going to post what an enjoyable and exciting game it had been (not due to the result, as everytime you equalised I was smiling). I guess it comes down to what you want out of a football game. I appreciate there are parts of FIFA which can be exploited; there are areas which still need fixing; and there are elements which aren't 100% realistic. But for me, I think the balance of 'sim' vs fun are about right. If every pass had to be carefully controlled and lined up I'm not sure I would find it quite as enjoyable.

Anyway, sorry you didn't enjoy the game, but good luck in the league.

Thats no problem man. Its not just been this game but most games I have played. I won 2 matches 7-1 recently and really didn't enjoy them either. But as you say its all personal choice.

Again, hope you don't think I was having a go at you. I'm gonna leave this topic alone now.

4 in attack? Harbey you monster!

(I'd just play a really deep line if playing against someone so attack-based. Make 'em run through as many men as you can put in the way, then catch 'em on the break.)

Yeah I had my flat back 4 and 2 deep CDM but it didn't seem to make a difference. But anyway, I've calmed down a bit. Well done Harbey.

Europa Cup round 2: outstanding matches

Fry Crayola e Benfica v West Bamber

Bash's Wooden Spooners v FC El Nino

Dewranger v Alshie Milan

rokforce v Siread

Razzle's Parklife v Fenerbeejay

Slotter's Tribe v JohnnyArgos SV

Jackson's Match Fixers v Legendary's Lions

AS Mortis Muppets v Shoes Bubblejet

themomentbefore v Petey's Party Poppers

Round deadline: Sunday 2nd August 2009

Jackson 2 - 0 Legendary

A good competitive match. After a flurry of good chances I ended up taking the lead through the most random of penalties, couldn't see what it was given for whatsoever. Legendary responded well to going behind and put me under a lot of pressure in the rest of the first half, coming close on a couple of occasions.

The second half was much more comfortable for me, but I couldn't find the net more than once more.

Legendary was very unlucky not to score in this game, but with 20 shots to his 3, I think the game was quite one sided overall.

Cheers mate, best of luck in your league campaign.

Europa Cup round 2: outstanding matches

Fry Crayola e Benfica v West Bamber

Bash's Wooden Spooners v FC El Nino

Dewranger v Alshie Milan

rokforce v Siread

Razzle's Parklife v Fenerbeejay

Slotter's Tribe v JohnnyArgos SV

Jackson's Match Fixers v Legendary's Lions

AS Mortis Muppets v Shoes Bubblejet

themomentbefore v Petey's Party Poppers

Round deadline: Sunday 2nd August 2009

I think Petey is back tomorrow so I am sure we'll get our game sorted before the deadline.

I think Petey is back tomorrow so I am sure we'll get our game sorted before the deadline.

Yeah, I am back.

Give me a day or so to try and get settled again, then I'll sort out getting all my fixtures played :(

Cheers

OneDaveBamber, good sir, I'll be free to play most evenings next week (week beginning 20th) as my league game then's been postponed. Anything bar Tuesday and Friday suits.

Hey, sorry it's taken me a while to get in touch with this, been on holiday and now trying to catch up on league games. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and the weekend are all good for me though.