rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Anno 1404

How come there isn't a thread for this yet? It's fucking fantastic. If you like old school, resource management RTS games (with great graphics) then you can't get any better. Anyway, here's some info:

titre_pc.png

Anno 1404 is a real-time strategy and city-building game. It was developed by Related Designs for Microsoft Windows and by Keen Entertainment for Nintendo, and is published by Ubisoft across all listed platforms. Anno 1404 is the sequel to Anno 1701 and is the latest installment in the Anno series. It was first released in May 2009 for the Nintendo DS and Wii in Europe, with its Windows counterpart and all North American releases following in June 2009.

As with other Anno games, the player starts as leader of an unarmed country which must colonize and expand in the game world. While the player expands their in-game territory, other computer controlled rivals are also expanding and strengthening their countries. As the player progresses through the game, they have access to lodge activities and troops which allow them to invade and ultimately to defeat other players. Anno 1404 features an updated interface, bigger islands and worlds to explore, a sandbox mode, and other features new to the Anno series.

Some screenshots (yes these are in game, the game is built with some stunning directX10 features):

anno_1404_1.jpg

vG57z6SKPn.jpg

Anno1404_screenshot12.jpg

The trailer:

If this somehow passed under your radar, I urge you to at least download the demo. RTS games of late have been quite combat-focused, this game is a proper old school resource sim, and is all the better for it.

I played the demo and it's lovely relaxing stuff (in sandbox mode anyway - the campaign is too much tedious-fetch-quest for my liking). It's sumptuously beautiful - the buildings look better than the height of 2D stuff, handpainted and so on, despite being fully 3D. It's got a really heavy Pharaoh citybuilder vibe in the upgrading houses and so on and I would probably get the full game if it wasn't all 3-install-limited. The developers have said they'll remove the limit in a patch in the future so I'll get it then maybe.

But yeah this is great. I didn't have much time for previous Anno games - too much 'big in Germany' for me. But this is accessible and deep.

I would probably get the full game if it wasn't all 3-install-limited.

It's been cracked now, so that's no longer an issue if you dislike the DRM.

Whats the Wii version like? actually scratch that whats the DS version like as Im more likely to get extended playtime on that as opposed to a living room version?

Just spent a good three hours completing the 3rd mission of the campaign. I'm enjoying the campaign so far, it seems to do a good job of feeding the player new aspects of the game in bite-sized chunks, so you don't get overwhelmed. The pace is pretty glacial though, but that's half the fun!

Each mission is made up of 20-25 "quests", so they're packed full of content. Around half the quests are optional, I've yet to complete all the quests on a mission so far. The plot isn't terrible either, with full voice acting and some alright cutscenes. Definitely worth trying the campaign.

Whats the Wii version like? actually scratch that whats the DS version like as Im more likely to get extended playtime on that as opposed to a living room version?

I'm currently completely addicted to Anno 1701 on the DS pausing only to post this, if 1404 is as good it's a must buy.

I'm currently completely addicted to Anno 1701 on the DS pausing only to post this, if 1404 is as good it's a must buy.

Seconded, 1701 has been stuck in my DS pretty much since I got it. Aren't these guys related to the old Settlers' developers? Anno 1701 has a very Settlers feel to it.

I'll be checking 1404 on the DS eventually, sounds like a good plan to me.

But 1404 is a sequel to 1701... woah time travel...

I got the PC version of this and started playing yesterday just to see what it was like. 3 hours later i think I'd decided it was quite addictive :lol:

I got this to replace Spore on my laptop, I like to do some relaxing gaming on my laptop every now and then- and this seems to go along at a nice slow pace. I do have to turn the GFX settings down though :lol:. It runs fine on my desktop, but unfortunately it seems like I can't share save games across the two machines.

It's a truly brilliant game but I've had to stop playing it until it gets patched. I've had my profile corrupted once and my saves corrupted twice. Plus the text keeps dropping back into German at unexpected points. I love PC gaming.

Well, after reading this topic a month or so back and being amazed at the screenshots I decided to pick this up.

Can I just say that this game is brilliant. I've been playing it for about 3 weeks on and off and it's still loads of fun. I was a little annoyed that I paid £25 for it a few weeks back only to see it drop to £15 at Play yesterday, but in all honesty, I can't have any complaints as the game is fantastic. I'd also like to add that it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. It looks tremendous, and along with all the little animations it really is something special. Get it.

"It looks tremendous, and along with all the little animations it really is something special. Get it."

Couldn't agree with you more fella. One of my greatest gaming joys of this year. A delight from start to finish.

I was a little annoyed that I paid £25 for it a few weeks back only to see it drop to £15 at Play yesterday

I paid the same and then found it was only £5 during my trip to Thailand a week or two later. It was the official version too, not a pirate :)

But i don't mind since it's such a great game, I have managed to swap load games between my Laptop and desktop while keeping the achievements so i'm even happier about it now.

They are the latest. Some digging shows previous versions have the same problem, so I'll go to the versions before that.

This is a beautiful looking game.

I quite fancy this, but there are no physical copies in my town, and I'm impatient, so would prefer to buy it in digital download form.

However, Steam's price is silly, when you look at Play.com.

I've had a quick Google around, but haven't found any other way to purchase it for download. Does anyone have a steam alternative? Or do they have the monoply on the digital because its a steam game?

It's on Gamersgate as well, I believe, and also on Direct2Drive if you're in the US (but not outwith North America, which is a shame because they were selling it for a pittance recently but it couldn't be bought by us filthy Brits).

The Gamersgate price is probably equivalent to the Steam one.

Yeah, Gamersgate has the same ludicrous price as Steam.

I told Steam their price was ludicrous the other day, linking them to Play.com's page. They replied that they don't price match. Fair enough, I'll just shop around then.

Has this come up in Steam's weekend deals yet? Maybe it'll be worth lurking around until it does, if not. I really don't NEED a new game right now, not now that I've lifted my self-imposed embargo on Empire Total war (and jolly glad I did, too!)

Has this come up in Steam's weekend deals yet?

Not yet they haven't.

I was waiting for it before, as they say, Play dropped a fat discount on my face.

This game is excellent on the Wii - a really good fit for the console. I haven't played either version enough to really judge them properly but it really is worth getting if you don't have a good enough PC for that version.

Is any of the gameplay reduced in the Wii and DS versions, compared to the PC one, or is it purely graphical (and control, obviously) differences?