rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a163747/cas...tts-postal.html

I've not read Going Postal, so I don't know how good the original story is. Anyway, some casting has been announced.

Richard Coyle - Moist Von Lipwig

Claire Foy - Adore Belle Dearheart

David Suchet - Reacher Gilt

Charles Dance - Lord Vetinari

Steve Pemberton - Drumknott

Andrew Sachs - Groat

Tamsin Greig - Miss Crisplock

Broadcasts in Spring 2010.

It's a good book, but I really can't understand why they're not doing a Guards book. It's the series of Discworld books everyone loves!

Ah, they're skipping quite a few books for the Sky series, aren't there? Kind of like how the James Bond films have never used the original novels in order (or any of the plots at all, come to think of it).

The most recent Discworld novels I've read in terms of print date were Maskerade and Interesting Times, so I can't say I'm familiar with Going Postal. I'm assuming its quite disconnected from the rest of the Dw series, so it won't matter so much if it follows the Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic adaptation...

Most of the Discworld books are self contained, so they can pretty much so them in any order. The Guards book are the main exception, so I expect they are avoiding them for this reason. I also suspect that they are avoiding the more popular books until they have a bigger budget to tackle them with.

Most of the Discworld books are self contained, so they can pretty much so them in any order. The Guards book are the main exception, so I expect they are avoiding them for this reason. I also suspect that they are avoiding the more popular books until they have a bigger budget to tackle them with.

you'd need to read Going Postal before Making money. Actually the last few need to be read in order. Mr Pratchett apparently has big plans for discworld and Moist von Lipwig in particular.

Oh and I'm disappointed Jeremy irons has been replaced by Charles Dance.

Oh and I'm disappointed Jeremy irons has been replaced by Charles Dance.

YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck useless Jeremy Irons.

Trailer:

[yt]o4VlX9cMEbw[/yt]

Still haven't seen The Colour of Magic, but this one looks better than Hogfather - even though it still has that "look how wacky this is!" music.*

* (As we all know, Discworld isn't wacky. Only dumb redheads in fifties sitcoms are wacky. And it's not zany, either.)

You had a lucky escape. The Colour of Magic can only be enjoyed if you've prepared yourself to be utterly disappointed and/or have filled yourself to bursting with christmas turkey and have trouble forming coherent thoughts. The pace is soooo incredibly slow and Pratchett's wry humour is horribly mangled when transferred onto screen.

Yeah, I hate the way Discworld is always adapted as "wacky". With David Jason being all wacky, and the plinky-plonky "wacky" music letting us know that the tone is wacky.

The books have a certain nerdiness about them, and Pratchett often writes dialogue in a tone that could be mistaken for wacky if only it wasn't so witty. But as Nick R mentioned, he made a disclaimer about Discworld not being wacky as far back as the first page of book three!

Yeah, I hate the way Discworld is always adapted as "wacky". With David Jason being all wacky, and the plinky-plonky "wacky" music letting us know that the tone is wacky.

The books have a certain nerdiness about them, and Pratchett often writes dialogue in a tone that could be mistaken for wacky if only it wasn't so witty. But as Nick R mentioned, he made a disclaimer about Discworld not being wacky as far back as the first page of book three!

Yeah, thou always get the feeling that the filmmakers don't ~quite~ get it, especially in terms of tone - otherwise they're usually not a million miles off (some weird casting decisions aside) and there have been merits to both the previous adaptations... (less so in CoM - Hogfather was OK, although could have done with being a lot tighter - stuck way too close to the book in terms of irrelevent detail in some cases while chopping out other stuff seemingly at random)..

However I did quite like Michelle Dockery as Susan.. :o

Hogfather_hirez_002.jpg

Hogfather was TERRIBLE. Too much David Jason.

As a result, I've not watched any others, won't be watching this either. Much as I love Pratchett.

you'd need to read Going Postal before Making money. Actually the last few need to be read in order. Mr Pratchett apparently has big plans for discworld and Moist von Lipwig in particular.

Let's hope he remembers what they are, then...

The trailer shows more promise then the other two adaptations which were woeful.

Please let this be good, I love this book.

It's a lot more suited to the kind of adaptation they're doing than the other books picked, since Going Postal is basically a kind of caper story with a bit of a heist feeling at times.

The golems look a bit dodgy but the rest seems pretty good.

Considering how precious TP is over the material, and how much involvement he supposedly has with these tv movies, it's astounding he's willing to allow them to be made, cus they're crap and I'm the worlds biggest discworld fan.

Yep, Going Postal is the first really decent story they have chosen to make as well (Hogfather was always a bit of shit book IMO and Colour of Magic is finding feet). Why the hell not do a Watch film? Guards Guards would be far cheaper on the effects that what they've already done.

I don't think these adaptations are total crap, but they're not great either.

My biggest worry is that non-Discworld fans watch them and get the wrong idea about the books. For example, that they are "wacky", and you must be a big fucking nerd to read them.

I don't think these adaptations are total crap, but they're not great either.

My biggest worry is that non-Discworld fans watch them and get the wrong idea about the books. For example, that they are "wacky", and you must be a big fucking nerd to read them.

I love the bloody things and even I realise that you pretty much must be.

Colour of Magic really fucked me off, I think I've probably read all of the books and the whole writing and style was completely lost in the adaptation. I think Eric Idle in the point n click games had a better rincewind feel to him than David Jason's far too... I dunno... Bean like, in a way approach.

Twoflower was fucking shit too. I never even finished watching it because it didn't even come across like a Discworld story at all, it was almost like some weird attempt at taking the piss out of LoTR or something. Which, to a degree, Discworld is but that isn't the main part of it at all. It's more a dig at Earth in general than beardy weirdy fantasy stuff.

Saw the trailer on Sky HD for this the other day and although it looked like it might be alright... I have a horrible feeling it will still be a bit too panto.

I never even finished watching it because it didn't even come across like a Discworld story at all, it was almost like some weird attempt at taking the piss out of LoTR or something. Which, to a degree, Discworld is but that isn't the main part of it at all. It's more a dig at Earth in general than beardy weirdy fantasy stuff.

I thought that the Sky adaptation did have its problems, but I'd have to disagree with this. On the whole I think the first eight or so Discworld books focus mostly on parodying aspects of fantasy storytelling, and as The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are together an attempt to introduce us to the Discworld setting they focus on this heavily. It's around the time of Moving Pictures that this seems to shift more to taking digs at elements of the real world.

I'll have to look into this latest one. I've been a long time reader of Pratchett (since the 80's) but Going Postal was one that really hit home to me, reading it during a time I was working myself to death, the rooms and rooms of backlogged mail was something I could relate to.

Seemed much more solid than the previous ones going by the first ep.. Reasonably but not slavishly accurate to the books, nice performances all round..Richard Coyle is great, and Charles Dance is a superb Vetinari, suprised they kept the ~interesting~ aspects of Adora Belle's character in there too.. the bit with the whip.. :blink:

Just a couple of quibbles, the golems look a bit pants, however the vampire was just terrible - seemed to be from a kids tv show or something.. and at least one too many 'Moist sees the implications of his actions' scenes..

Otherwise pretty happy with it so far. Like the book it's not really a laugh riot, but is entertaining. :wub:

Yeah, I enjoyed this far more than the other two. Charles Dance was perfect as Vetinari - he's my favourite character in the books and he played it far better than Jeremy Irons did. :blink:

They should do 'Making Money' next.

It looked so odd when the golems all marched together and it was really obvious they were all from the same suit mould as the cracks and marks in the clay were all identical. Just looked weird. Dance and Suchet were great though. It's a shame that Irons was so bad as Vetenari before as on paper he should have been perfect.

The Angua part near the start was terrible.