Cemetery Junction

Capwn

tsott_cj_01.jpg

This recently went into production and the shooting has begun. Everything I read about this film gets me excited, I love the idea of a film set in the 70's in England where it's not all depressing and gritty, they often talk specifically about showing a typically sunny looking Britain. Gervais and Merchant wrote the script together and are directing, they only have minor roles and from I've heard Gervais is playing quite a different character to usual which is intriguing. He will play the father to the main character.

tsott_cj_lentaylor2.jpg

The film also stars Ralph Fiennes, Emily Thompson and best of all...Matt Holness :( The 3 main characters however are 'nobodies' and will surely make their names here.

Gervais updates his blog just about every day with photo's.

http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

This is named after Cemetery Junction in Reading, which is just down the road from my house. Hope he bases the sets on it.

Do these look similar?....

tsott_cj_smash.jpg

tsott_cj_thisiscj.jpg

tsott_cj_matthewgoode1.jpg

Is this the insurance salesman one?

Yup :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

tsott_020210.jpg

Quite like it but seems a bit cheap how they had to get get Gervais in there. Suppose money wise it makes sense since the others are unknowns (for now). Maybe this means Gervais doesn't have as small a part as we've been led to believe?

• 2 months later...

Really worried about this now. Seems more like an ITV drama everytime I see new clips. Seems too 'safe' which isn't like gervais/merchant at all. I don't mind it not being a full on comedy but if so it needs to stand out which it just isn't at the moment. I like to think it's them taking control over their promotion and resisting to show all the really great parts...

Out next week! :lol:

It looks terrible, doesn't it? ITV drama seems about right. That clip wasn't very amusing. The bit where he said the old guy nearly swallowed his whistle then went on too long, with a lengthy, unfunny description of how he nearly swallowed his whistle.

Snap judgement: a slightly funnier version of Heartbeat.

Nope, it's not a comedy and I don't think it has been marketed as one. People have assumed it'll be a comedy due to the creators' background.

From what I've seen so far, I think TV drama is a fair description, which makes me wonder why they went for a theatrical release (beyond money of course). It has potential but the trailer gave me the impression that the soundtrack will be the best thing about it.

Just back from seeing this.

For those of you worrying about it being an ITV drama, have no fears, it's nothing like that. It's got great performances, believable characters, great soundtrack and a really lovely sentiment. Also, the female lead is gorgeous. I loved it from start to finish. It's not a "hold your sides pissing yourself laughing" kind of a film, but it certainly has its moments.

Overall a great film, and so far removed from Gervais' other films it's untrue.

Saw this earlier today. Greatly shot, well made and everything but it doesn't really do anything incredible. It sticks to an old age (succesful) formula and does it well. I was hoping if it wasn't a comedy they would at least try and do something at least as emotional as various scenes in Office/Extras but nope. It's good. That is all.