rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dr_lha

Hung

Apologies if there's already a thread on this. Last Sunday the pilot of HBO's new comedy "Hung" aired. As the title suggests this is a show about a guy with a big dick, who decides to use his assets to make himself some money on the side. Its directed by the guy behind Election, Sideways et al. Alexander Payne and stars Thomas Jane.

As you might expect from Payne, its played pretty low key, and more of the "occasional chuckle" kind of comedy than belly laughs sitcom, and despite the rather low-brow subject matter, avoids the 70s "Tales of a Window Cleaner" style stuff that the premise conjured up in my mind. I found myself highly enjoying the first episode. It mainly sets up the characters, as you'd expect and despite the promise of "nudity" in the pre-credit warnings they have on HBO, the only sign I saw was a shot of Thomas Jane's arse in the opening credits (presumably we'll get to see that every week).

So recommended I'd say. We'll see how it works as a half hour weekly, if they manage to keep up the awkwardness that is Payne's trademark it should be a winner. They're pairing this up with the new season of Entourage which starts a week on Sunday.

Hopefully it doesn't go that route!

Anyway one more factoid about this show, Jane's in-show-daughter is played by the girl who played Bree in Neighbours.

I'll be watching episode 2, mostly due to a soft spot for Thomas Jane since seeing him in the Mist.

The poet lady looks familiar, in a wonky-faced indie film star sort of way. It got a whole lot more interesting when she was introduced. Hopefully she'll remain a central character.