IGNORED

Do people really play games on the toilet?

Let us measure

I think it was Keats who wrote:

Why play my PSP whilst on the bog sitting?

By the time the game loads I've finished my shitting!

The thing is, for as long as I can remember, I recall seeing similar sentiments here and in magazines; that the PSP partially fails as a true portable gaming device because it can't be played adequately while taking a dump. The DS meanwhile has plenty of 'plug 'n' play' games which are perfect for the (alleged) 5-10 minutes it takes for gentleman to lay out a log, straining and red-faced, over his copy of Henry Hatsworth.

But who seriously plays their games on the toilet? I mean, really? You might be able to get a couple of lines in Tetris in before you have to wipe, but what's the bloody point? Are these people so addicted to gaming that they have to play wherever and whenever they can? And what if they inadvertently get their fingernails dirty? What then? Do you switch off as soon as you've finished your business, losing your progress? Or do you continue for a little while, trousers round your ankles, a slight whiff in the air, dirty hands, pummeling away?

For me, portable gaming is at it's best in bed after a hard day's work - headphones in, a chance to savour the experience like any other console game. It's certainly not just for use exclusively on the shitter, where the atmosphere doesn't lend itself well to adventure games, and worse, where it becomes very difficult to concentrate after having eaten a greasy kebab the evening before.

What say you? Is this a myth? Or do people really play their dumped ROMs while taking a dump? :)

I can see why you'd want to do it at work as it's a great excuse to kill time and not get bored.

At home though, I do my business and get the fuck out. At most I'll read a document or something I had to get around to anyway, but play games? I tried it, but the fact is that I'm sitting on a place where there is poo right underneath. I'd rather play games where there are no poo.

I do play on the bog. Mostly on my iPhone but also on my DS. It's the same as reading on the bog. I think the point being missed here is that you necessarily get off the toilet when you're done. You may read another 20 pages or just keep playing.

I used to. A lot. But now I just can't be bothered carting the Xbox and HDTV up from the living room and then putting it all back afterwards.

And why can you never find an extension lead in a hurry when you're busting for the toilet?

Lately I've been playing Warioland 2 on my PSP whilst on the bog. The trick is to turn the thing on before you go in. I used to read tons on the toilet too. Perhaps it depends on the toilet you sit on and where it is.

I often play games whilst pooing. and I rest my elbows on my knees which can lead to serious dead legs. There must be a name for that.

I suffer from the same affliction.

It's especially bad when it happens at work and I have to try and walk back to my desk without looking like a broken-limbed spazz.

I had a theory developed while using Brain Training on the bog.

I found that my scores were better whilst taking a moment. My theory is that your body has to maintain a balance and as you lose weight out of one end it temporarily expands the weight of your brain to compensate and therefore makes you smarter.