rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gambit

Uncharted: The Movie

I don't think anyone who's even remotely familiar with Uncharted would look at Hugh Jackman and think of Nathan Drake. It's purely because they're thinking of the numbers of bums on seats.

Hopefully all involved will die in a plane crash somewhere above the ocean, where sharks can finish off any survivors.

:)

Sometimes I think I love Meh.

The only chance this film has is if they get Nolan North and Emily Rose to do it.

Nathan Fillion would be a second choice, but why not get the actual Drake to do it? He's not ripped but doesn't that just add to the charm?

NolanNorth.jpg180px-Emily_Rose.jpg

That said, the whole idea is terrible.

This is now moving ahead with David O.Russell in the directors chair.

His Wikipedia page makes some interesting reading. He almost had a fight with George Clooney on the set of Three Kings and called someone else on another movie a "Cunt". Sounds like he'll do a good job with what I imagine will be a family friendly franchise movie! I mean, honesty. How can you possibly get upset with George Clooney? He's such a lovable guy! :wub:

And here he is going mental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs

Russel is an interesting director, I think Three Kings is a great movie with some unique shots. As for Drake, wouldn't James Franco be a good choice? A bit too young perhaps, but he has the charisma. J.K. Simmons would make for an awesome Sully, it can't be said enough.

Why the hell would anyone even make this film? Uncharted is notable because it’s cinematic, which is unusual for a game. Guess what? Being cinematic is normal for films. It’s the minimum you would expect. As such, you’re just going to be left with an Indiana Jones rip-off, along the lines of Sahara or National Treasure or any number of other rubbish adventure films.

I seriously doubt anyone’s going to pay good money to see a film where the bloke from Serenity kills loads of foreigners and discovers that Sir Francis Drake found a gold coffin full of magic dust that turned a load of Nazis into gollums.

Having now played through both Uncharteds to completion, Nathan Fillion would be perfect as Nate. Sometimes it almost seems as if Nolan North is channeling Fillion during his performance!

Also, an Uncharted movie would hopefully be a welcome addition to the barren adventure yarn field - shit like Sahara and Tomb Raider notwithstanding!

Some more details. Marky Mark to play Nathan Drake?

Choice quote:

Fans of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune wondering why De Niro and Pesci are reuniting in the adaptation of a story that doesn’t involve a couple of New York gangster-types—well, that’s because David O. Russel’s story is rumored to have “something to do with antiquities dealers in New York.”

Oh. Dear. :facepalm:

Why does no one every listen to the internet?

Snakes on a Plane, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim (I think) and others. Massive hype on the Internet. Sure-fire hits, according to the Internet. Reality was different.

• Upvote 2

Wahlberg's acting range only goes between a cop and a tough guy. Outside of that, he was okay playing a clueless naive soldier that gets tortured by an Iraqi Michael Jackson fan in Three Kings.

He's an easy parodied character actor ...

And he needs to admit as much.

Wonder if his PA is has been tasked with searching Twitter since this news broke. I know I'd hate to be the messenger when it comes to reporting back on the response.

I doubt he reads his twitter (@mark_wahlberg) mind, given that it only follows on person and that it stated that his road manager writes it.

Wahlberg's acting range only goes between a cop and a tough guy. Outside of that, he was okay playing a clueless naive soldier that gets tortured by an Iraqi Michael Jackson fan in Three Kings.

You need to see Boogie Nights then, easily Marky Marks best role (along with the departed :) ). Fillion would have been perfect for the role but seeing how Wahlberg was in Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees and most recently The Fighter its easy to see why David O. Russell went with him.

Snakes on a Plane, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim (I think) and others. Massive hype on the Internet. Sure-fire hits, according to the Internet. Reality was different.

Kick-ass had a budget of 28 milion and made 100 million at the box office, it did alright. All three were massively pirated on release though, kind of a problem when your audience is comprised of hyped up tech-savvy netfiends. I'm betting if they offered a download for each film for the price of a cinema ticket on launch, they'd have made more money :lol:

I actually quite like Wahlberg's confused brow-furrowing, he's funny. Mostly unintentionally. He's going to be fucking dire as Drake though.

David O. Russell talks a bit about the film:

“This idea really turns me on that there’s a family that’s a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities … [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice…. We’ll have the family dynamic, which we’ve done in a couple of movies now. And then you take that and put it on the bigger, more muscular stage of an international action picture, but also put all the character stuff in it. That’s a really cool idea to me.”

I've never played the games so I don't know if I should be outraged or happy with his comments.

I don't understand, why use a licence and then abandon everything apart from the name? They could just as easily start a whole new franchise with the names they have attached and make just as much money surely.

• Upvote 1

Russell's comments don't necessarily mean that the protagonists are members of this art-dealing, globe-trotting family - he could easily be referring to the film's villains. One thing that both Uncharted games suffered from was weak villains, so this could be a promising start.