GoldenEye - out now on Switch & Xbox

ras el hanout

22 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Contrary to what they’ve said there, I thought the owner of the Bond IP at the time (either EA or Activision) was fine with this coming out and it was Nintendo who put a stop to it? Presumably they were the original publisher?

That's the way it was reported at least. Plan was to release this on 360 and the N64 game to the Virtual Console but Nintendo Japan apparently stood in and said nope as they'd end up with the inferior release in that scenario. 

Maybe it could be done now as a HD port for the Switch and Microsoft platforms. That'd be nice. 

I always feel sorry for people who didn’t get to play this at the time, I mean it plays badly now on original hardware and things have moved on but at the time it was phenomenal even if edge couldn’t see it....

Please let it come out, I can still hear the gun noises and the feeling of that sniper for the first time, it’s up there with Mario 64 and Astrobot VR as a genre defining moment :wub:

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

Bonus level sneak peek

I realise there is no reason on earth to get annoyed about a silly fun mod, but: why, given the infinite realms of possibility and creation available to them, do modders almost always focus on recreating things from other games? I keep seeing people remaking Majora's Mask in the Banjo-Kazooie engine, or modding Mario Kart Wii to include... tracks from *other* Mario Kart games? Make new things! OK I'm done carry on.

12 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I realise there is no reason on earth to get annoyed about a silly fun mod, but: why, given the infinite realms of possibility and creation available to them, do modders almost always focus on recreating things from other games? I keep seeing people remaking Majora's Mask in the Banjo-Kazooie engine, or modding Mario Kart Wii to include... tracks from *other* Mario Kart games? Make new things! OK I'm done carry on.

Because it's fun, because they see it as way to challenge themselves, because it's a good way to learn and get better.

That looks great, albeit 00 Agent looks way too easy there with the benefit of twin stick aiming! 

The multiplayer footage at the end reminds me what a fine deathmatch map Complex was. Love all its connected routes and nooks and crannies.

I think I've linked to this in another thread, but last year, here's Robin Beanland demonstrating where the GoldenEye echoey sonar/timpani sample came from:

It's "122 sfx - Infinite" in this list:

http://synthmania.com/Proteus_FX.htm

http://synthmania.com/E-mu Proteus FX/Audio/Factory Presets/Bank 0/122 sfx - Infinite.mp3

Also on the subject of the GE soundtrack: here's Graeme Norgate's list of which tracks were by him, and which were by Grant Kirkhope:

12 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

That looks great, albeit 00 Agent looks way too easy there with the benefit of twin stick aiming! 

The multiplayer footage at the end reminds me what a fine deathmatch map Complex was. Love all its connected routes and nooks and crannies.

Goldeneye was always at its best played twin sticks....

15 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Goldeneye was always at its best played twin sticks....

I could never get the hang of the 2.x controls. I think it was the fact the two hands floated independently in the air - maybe if I'd tried taping the two controllers together to keep my hands a fixed distance apart, I might have gotten used to it.

My control scheme of choice was 1.2 (aka "Turok style"), where the right thumb on the C buttons acts as WASD movement, with the left thumb on the stick for aiming. The big advantage of that was that you could always instantly hit the 45° angle required for speed-strafing. (That was something that the XBLA/Rare Replay Xbox 360 version of Perfect Dark screwed up by making the 45° angle really strict to hit on the analogue stick, along with adding a mechanic where your running speed increases if you hold forward for long enough.)

I've heard people say that GoldenEye's controls (based around aiming with the left thumb on the analogue stick and shooting with the left index finger) messed them up when they played proper twin-stick FPSs like Halo and TimeSplitters, and had to get used to the new standard (left stick WASD, right stick aiming).

For me, switching between N64 and PS2 FPSs was never a problem. I think it's because the sensations of the different pads under my fingers were so different. However a few years later, I forced myself to switch from inverted aiming to upright aiming in FPSs: I got used to it quite quickly on PS2 and Xbox FPSs, but then returned to GoldenEye and found that my training didn't apply and I still had to play it inverted!

Do any N64 emulators let you simulate the 2.1 controls using the two control sticks on a modern pad? It feels like it should be possible, even though I imagine its a bit of a pain to get an emulator to think that the two sticks are coming from two different controllers. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are just about doable on modern controllers, even though the default setup usually means that right trigger is aim and left trigger is shoot.

It’s been a while since I’ve tried N64 emulation but I assume it would be easy enough - just map controller 1’s stick motions to one analogue stick and controller 2’s to the other.

I remember one N64 emulator plug-in that allowed mouse control to look around in GE - although it was a bit janky because a stick has a more restrictive turn speed. :D 

26 minutes ago, K said:

Do any N64 emulators let you simulate the 2.1 controls using the two control sticks on a modern pad? It feels like it should be possible, even though I imagine its a bit of a pain to get an emulator to think that the two sticks are coming from two different controllers. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are just about doable on modern controllers, even though the default setup usually means that right trigger is aim and left trigger is shoot.

Perfect Dark on Xbox works great with a modern controller. I know it’s been specifically updated to work with it, but if this version of Goldeneye was ever released, I can’t see it causing any problems.

11 hours ago, JPL said:

Perfect Dark on Xbox works great with a modern controller. I know it’s been specifically updated to work with it, but if this version of Goldeneye was ever released, I can’t see it causing any problems.

Yep, I did all the Combat Simulator missions on the 360 and it was sweet as a nut.

On 31/01/2021 at 20:02, Nick R said:

I've heard people say that GoldenEye's controls (based around aiming with the left thumb on the analogue stick and shooting with the left index finger) messed them up when they played proper twin-stick FPSs like Halo and TimeSplitters, and had to get used to the new standard (left stick WASD, right stick aiming).

That’s basically why I’ve never seriously played a FPS since Perfect Dark, apart from Metroid Prime 1 and 2, which admittedly aren’t full FPSes, but were similar enough and used a GoldenEye-influenced control system. Never got used to the Halo/Timesplitters style...

On 31/01/2021 at 21:02, Nick R said:

My control scheme of choice was 1.2 (aka "Turok style"), where the right thumb on the C buttons acts as WASD movement, with the left thumb on the stick for aiming.

Same here, 1.2 Solitaire (now Southpaw). It's what Turok: Dinosaur Hunter used. Playing Turok for a couple of years has ingrained its controls into my DNA, to a point that I can't play FPSes without a similar control scheme. Thankfully GE, PD and Halo had the options to change control schemes, but I had to skip a lot of excellent shooters because you couldn't change control schemes in those titles. What added even more insult to injury was that other titles tried their hand at Southpaw controls, calling it 'lefty controls', where they would not only swap the sticks but the triggers as well (without a separate option to do so). Highly infuriating, especially as a right-handed person (I'm a bit strange).

Imagine my joy when I found out that the Xbox One allowed you to swap the sticks in the console's controller menu. Best console ever, keep that option in forever! :D

• Kryptonian changed the title to GoldenEye - out now on Switch & Xbox