GoldenEye - out now on Switch & Xbox

ras el hanout

Ramone, did you enjoy Perfect Dark then? It improved on Goldeneye in almost every way.

It's coming to Xbox Live this winter if you're interested.

No, for me PD was a big let down, I remember getting an erection reading the previews about how they had employed an architect to design the buildings in real life and in the end the building ended up being about three floor of identical rooms. And doors you couldn't go out. And aliens. No, I liked Perfect Dark but even Pefect Dark lost something that made Goldeneye so great, there's no level in PD I can remember playing again and again, just for fun. I once masturbated over the bit where Joanna Dark is on the floor in a lift, I think she'd been drugged, you could nearly see her knickers.

I'm hard pressed to remember many of the level in PD, the plane, the Airport... the crash site, the building at the start... The villa!

Actually that one was the best level, the rest were MEH.

So I don't agree at all that PD improved on Goldeneye in almost every way, I think that is total bollocks.

But perhaps TWIN STICKS have caused FPSes to be not as good as Goldeneye. With goldeneye you had to stop to shoot. Perhaps that's what made it so great??/

I remember reading something about the level design of GoldenEye - that rather than design them as videogame levels, they designed them to be like functioning buildings first. This lead to the game feeling a lot more 'open world' than other FPSs of the time, something that helped enormously with the replay value (and something the designers later capitalised on with the 'par' times they included). Did I dream that or can someone back that shit up?

Me and my friends created a cardboard frame that hung over the TV screen and enabled us to play a 4 player split-screen game without seeing the other players quarter of the screen. Two of us lay on the floor and the others sat on stools. Worked brilliantly.

I miss that piece of cardboard.

Your Nintendo overlord stopped us having Goldeneye on XBLA

Grr. Why do people still perpetuate that myth? Does nobody stop to think why Nintendo would have a problem with Goldeneye getting released, but is fine with Perfect Dark being ported to the 360?

Grr. Why do people still perpetuate that myth? Does nobody stop to think why Nintendo would have a problem with Goldeneye getting released, but is fine with Perfect Dark being ported to the 360?

Umm, because they don't own the rights to Perfect Dark?

My first FPS was Zero Tolerance,

:) Mine too! And Corporation, also on the Mega Drive. I think I might have briefly played Duke Nukem 3D as well.

If I could be bothered to find the necessary tools and files (Project64k, Darkman's DInput, etc) I'd definitely have a go at trying out multiplayer GE with keyboard/mouse. I think it'd be pretty straightforward (for an emulation nut like me, anyway...maybe not for a layperson), but I'm in the middle of several other games right now, and I doubt I'd find anyone else with the patience to test it out with me. :(

I've tried emulating it (not online though), and although you can do things to make it work on a keyboard like bind R+Cdown (crouching) to a single key, the R-trigger manual aiming mode really doesn't lend itself to keyboard and mouse control. It's just a lot more fun with a pad. Still, It worked well enough for me to make this avatar! (Which it's about time I changed...)

Ramone, did you enjoy Perfect Dark then? It improved on Goldeneye in almost every way.

On paper it did, but in retrospect for every great addition (reloading animations, bots, custom multiplayer weapon schemes, more complex AI) there was a step backwards (framerate, unbalanced highest difficulty, aliens, voice acting).

I remember reading something about the level design of GoldenEye - that rather than design them as videogame levels, they designed them to be like functioning buildings first. This lead to the game feeling a lot more 'open world' than other FPSs of the time, something that helped enormously with the replay value (and something the designers later capitalised on with the 'par' times they included). Did I dream that or can someone back that shit up?

http://www.zoonami.com/briefing/2004-09-02.php

Umm, because they don't own the rights to Perfect Dark?

In a sense, Nintendo doesn't own Goldeneye's rights, unlike DK or Starfox, it wasn't their IP. That Bond license they signed back then only had a limited lifespan, one that would cover them for the duration that they expected to publish and sell the game at retail.

If PD does well on XBLA, maybe they'll push things a little further with the various parties involved in this issue, which has to include Activision you would think. They probably want a cut, being the publisher they are, but does Microsoft want to concede such a demand if it's been made.

PD should be great on XBLA, given that it'll hopefully run at 60fps. I certainly had a problem with it on the N64, given that I felt it was pushing to the hardware too far and slowdown was to the detriment of gameplay, sense of immersion in the world and moments of intense action.

Whether Rare have done something clever with upping the detail of the character models and the textures, maybe providing several graphics opinions. Be wonderful if one of them was the high res mode of the N64, but with a faux raster line, final render pass.

Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye on so many levels but admittedly got weak toward the end when fighting aliens. No denying Golden eye was great though probably my 1st FPS* and I have been addicted to them ever since.

* Turok 1 on N64 may have been my first FPS if it came out before Goldeneye

I'd played Doom, Duke, Quake; Goldeneye was a revelation. What was so great about it was the setting and atmosphere, for the first time you had a 'realistic' action game. It ate up hundreds of hours the year it came out with drunken 4 player action, and is directly responsible for me having to repeat a year at Uni. Trying to beat the cheat time in Silo is still etched on my retinas. Looking back in these days of 50" plasmas I still can't believe that we used to 4 player multiplayer it on a 14" tele. 2 litres of cider, ReLoad on the stereo and Goldeneye in the N64, Happy days!

Turok was a launch title wasn't it?

Yep, £70!! and the required memory pak wasn't onsale until a few weeks later.

we've even got a whole host of songs that are forever known as 'goldeneye' tracks cos there were normally 5 of us for one reason or another, so one had to mix while the other's played....

I have a drum and bass cd that, as far as I'm concerned, is the soundtrack to mario sunshine.

In a sense, Nintendo doesn't own Goldeneye's rights, unlike DK or Starfox, it wasn't their IP. That Bond license they signed back then only had a limited lifespan, one that would cover them for the duration that they expected to publish and sell the game at retail.

If PD does well on XBLA, maybe they'll push things a little further with the various parties involved in this issue, which has to include Activision you would think. They probably want a cut, being the publisher they are, but does Microsoft want to concede such a demand if it's been made.

PD should be great on XBLA, given that it'll hopefully run at 60fps. I certainly had a problem with it on the N64, given that I felt it was pushing to the hardware too far and slowdown was to the detriment of gameplay, sense of immersion in the world and moments of intense action.

Whether Rare have done something clever with upping the detail of the character models and the textures, maybe providing several graphics opinions. Be wonderful if one of them was the high res mode of the N64, but with a faux raster line, final render pass.

Nintendo hold the rights to GoldenEye 007, the N64 game program.

I don't know if there's a way that Rare could remake the game that doesn't infringe on the existing version.

I've never seen the film as my Dad taught me never to watch the 'James Bond, Secret Agent' films as he deemed them 'english propaganda', but the game was great.

I loved the storyline. I loved the bit at the end of the first level (presumably some sort of dream sequence) where the disillusioned Bond, presumably tired of all the killing in the name of british imperialism, commits suicide by throwing himself off the side of a dam.

• Kryptonian changed the title to GoldenEye - out now on Switch & Xbox