Assassin's Creed 2

If you buy the Classics GOTY version, as opposed to the Complete Edition, the DLC is included on the disc rather than redeemed via a code.

Yeah, but it's also £8 more expensive than a second hand copy without - does it really add much?

Best part by far was the tombs, so I hope Ubi have went to town with them for part 3. Not seen much evidence of this being the case in the videos shown so far though

The good news is that they are part Brotherhood and according to a recent preview I read they are every bit as good as they were in II. Which I recently picked up again. I'm enjoying it more now that I play in shorter strechtes. Am currently playing rather hectic games like Super Meatboy and Vanquish as well, so this is nice and relaxing alternative to those games. Still not the biggest fan of the combat system but I am enjoying it a bit more now that I have new items at my disposal. And it's still a shame that there are so many missions where stealth isn't really an option, forcing you into the combat. Certainly not a bad game though, but not up there with Uncharted 2 and Arkham as last year's best for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Only 10 minutes in and I'm already annoyed. Clunky animations and the game assumes you've already had your way with it long before you get to the first combat section, which was terrible by the way. Just ramming buttons seemed enough, thankfully, as there were no instructions whatsoever. Also, Nathan Drake is at it again! Yay. Is he cheap to get or something? Why do developers willingly suck the life out of characters by employing him? I mean don't get me wrong he's a good voice actor and all but he only really shines as Nathan Drake. Otherwise he just falls out of place.

I hope this picks up when I get in my assassins costume.

Don't worry it picks up and improves massively once you get your assassin's gear. The beginning is very drawn out and not indicative of the rest of the game.

Good to hear that. They're focusing a bit too much on exposition if you ask me. Just kill the family already and let me become an angry assassin who's out for blood. Yay.

Also, Nathan Drake is at it again! Yay. Is he cheap to get or something? Why do developers willingly suck the life out of characters by employing him? I mean don't get me wrong he's a good voice actor and all but he only really shines as Nathan Drake. Otherwise he just falls out of place.

Just got into the tombs, I sense a pretty boring area coming up :(

Loved the baby part at the start - spent a good 5 minutes making baby Ezio punch, kick and 'headbutt', was hilarious.

And I did not expect the

It's a me, Mario!

bit at all. Proper lols :)

Just finished this last night, and overall I really enjoyed it. There were one or two bits I wasn't fond of (such as the 'get seen and you die' sections near the end) but the final act, where...

... you infiltrate the Cistine Chapel in order to assassinate the Pope ...

Was tremendous; largely because it shows that the developers were conscious of how poor the last act of the previous game played out and made a genuine effort to come up with something better, something more suited to the series. By the time you finish that lest section, you really feel like a master assassin... Not the "weekend brawler" the first game's ending made you out to be.

I've been hitting this hard over the past couple of weeks due to the hype around Brotherhood. I've gone from thinking it very impressive but a bit boring to not being able to get enough. I played through all the DLC this weekend and am at about 99.5% completion.

It was only around the time I actually finished the game that I felt I was starting to use all the tools at my disposal. Through most of the game I'd just been freerunning around, using the 'counter' move in all the fights and sticking to the hidden blade for assassinations. But towards the end I was wall-springing, doing daring leaps and catching onto high beams, carefully knocking out 'good' archers rather than killing them, toying with Borgia patrols by blending with crowds and picking them off one by one. And I realised the combat system is actually really good if you bother to get into it.

The one definite flaw is how unchallenging the fights are due to the amount of health you get and the ease of healing. Replenishing your health shouldn't have a hot-key, and the 'drinking' animation should take at least a couple of seconds so you can't do it whilst in a ruck. Being able to instantly heal during fights means they can easily become a slog unless the player makes an effort to make them interesting.

I'm having to try really hard not to buy Brotherhood now instead of waiting for Christmas.

I also finished this last night (picked it up for £10 a few weeks back), I hated the original but once I got into this I absolutely loved it. Couldn't put it down. It has many faults but chasing a target across the rooftops and eventually assassinating them in the face made it all so worthwhile.

I really, really want to get Brotherhood now but having just spent 30 or so hours finishing AC2 I'm not sure I can just walk straight into another 30 hour epic which is basically the same! Maybe I'll give gaming a break for a few weeks having just back to back completed Castlevania, Fable 3 and now AC2!

How do you quietly sneak up on those archers up on the roofs? Is it even possible?

So far I haven't had many stealthy moments. Even during the get-the-seal-platforming-extravaganza levels I have yet to successfully sneak past the guards. So far I've just been killing them.

How do you quietly sneak up on those archers up on the roofs? Is it even possible?

So far I haven't had many stealthy moments. Even during the get-the-seal-platforming-extravaganza levels I have yet to successfully sneak past the guards. So far I've just been killing them.

If you get behind them and don't run you can easily get them from behind. Or drop down on them from above. Or use throwing knives.

I still think Brotherhood allows you to be more stealthy if that's your thing though.

That's what annoyed me the most about this game, it would've been nice to run across the rooftops without some twat guard telling you off, and they're everywhere!

felt like a good christmas game though, nice and relaxed. I'm considering picking up brohood but there's just too many games out!

It's easy enough to outrun the archers even if you go into 'red alert' mode. Outsmarting the archers in one of the best bits of the game!

I agree that them hearing you running up on them is a bit lame. All games featuring a stealthy hero should assume that this kind of protagonist can run silently.

There are several ways.

The best way is to approach them whilst dangling over a ledge. You can reach up and grab them, pulling them off - but only after you're taught to do this in-game (it happens quite early on).

Alternatively, once you have the

hidden blade

you can either creep up behind them and take them out, or if you run up to them you can get them after they notice you, but before they call for help.

Alternatively you can tackle them in the same way you barge through people on the streets; often they go flying.

You can even grab them, headbutt them then fling them off.

Don't forget that enemy bodies thrown from rooftops can cause a panic in the streets. You can use this to your advantage if you're fast. That being said, hiring courtesans, thieves and mercenaries tends to work better - but those aren't free! :)

Glad I rented this, it's so much better than the barren borefest which was the original Assassin's Creed. One of the few games in which I've found myself going after unlockables because they're so intriguing, though something tells me that searching down every sign and decoding 'the truth' isn't going to be worth my while.