Vroooommmmm!

McSpeed

So here it is, THE thread* to discuss the best thing you can do with your clothes on, only virtually: racing!

There's a tidal wave of racing games coming our way the following months and years, and this is the place to discuss them all. Comparing all of them can be done here without going off topic or whatever. A short list of the most interesting games coming up (feel free to suggest and add other titles):

Blur (Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)

DiRT 2 (Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Nintendo DS)

F1 2009 (Wii, PlayStation Portable)

F1 2010 (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360)

FUEL (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

Gran Turismo 5 (PlayStation 3)

Gran Turismo PSP (PlayStation Portable)

MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2)

Need for Speed: Shift (PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, Mobile phone, iPhone)

Need for Speed: Nitro (Wii, DS)

Need for Speed: World Online (Microsoft Windows)

Split/Second (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows)

SuperCar Challenge (PlayStation 3)

Superstars V8 Racing (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows)

ModNation Racers (PlayStation 3)

Obviously though, this thread isn't limited to just new and upcoming racing games :) I foresee this to mostly be the place where the eternal arguing about cases like "arcade vs. realism" and

will take place. Not a problem at all though, that's what it's for!

Ready?

Set...

GO!

* = Thread name courtesy of Meerman.

I think GT PSP is the potential game changer here. The videos look great, and they've alluded to modifying the experience to be more suitable for play on the move. If they've got that right (big if) I can see it becoming a serious time sink for a lot of people.

I've always viewed GT as Pokemon with cars, and in that context moving to a handheld seems like a natural progression - one that should have been out years ago.

As for the others, I'll leave it at Blur looking rubbish. Not a Bizarre Creations fan, but I expect better models and shaders from them than has been in evidence so far. It feels like BC want to make a Wipeout clone (which would be good) except they're having the licensed cars imposed upon them.

Superstars V8 Racing. Just seen it on GAME.co.uk. Never heard of it before. Anyone got info?

I believe it's a game of the Australian touring car championship (V8 Supercars), but I'm not sure. Will add it as soon as there's more information on it, as I've only seen a really shallow trailer yet and can't find much other information.

For some reason, I have this feeling that NFS: Shift is going to be an absolute cracker of game. A serious rival for Forza 3 in terms of racing experience alone, but I have been wrong before.

Oh, and nice thread McSpeed.

I'll be going for Forza 3, GT5 and GT on PSP. The GT series for me is getting a bit stale though and it really does need a kick up the bum. Forza 2's handling was better than GT5 Prologue, the progression of the career mode was much more enjoyable and I really didn't like the "pass every car to win" races in Prologue, probably because I didn't like the handling and I was forced to go like crazy to try and win with it.

I'm not sure about DiRT 2. I've disliked Codemasters ever since they followed up the amazingness of Colin McRae Rally 2 on PC with a CMR3 that was clearly unfinished, and they've been hit and miss ever since. CMR04 was good, 5 a small step backwards. TOCA Race Driver was average, 2 was superb and then 3 was not quite as good.

Then DiRT for me was a bit hit and miss. The graphics were great (if a little overly tobacco stained) but the handling was not quite there for each class of vehicle. Not awful by a long way but not quite there. The voiceovers by the codriver were cringeworthy and the menu system was absolutely atrocious. I did get quite far in the game before trading though, so I did find some level of enjoyment. Grid is superb though, really top stuff there.

I'm really not sure about Fuel. IGN reckon it's big but boring, and it has similar brownish graphics to DiRT. If it weren't by Codemasters I'd probably give it a try coz I know it will be either total crap or somewhere in limbo between above average and not quite a classic.

I'll be going for Forza 3, GT5 and GT on PSP.

Same here. I'll be buying a PS3 for GT5 (and Last Guardian).

I don't know if you've seen anything about NFS: Shift, but you said you like GRiD. From what I can gather, NFS: Shift is going to be similar to GRiD but with sim like handling. Better than GTR 2 on PC at the higher levels is the rumoured standard.

Same here. I'll be buying a PS3 for GT5 (and Last Guardian).

I don't know if you've seen anything about NFS: Shift, but you said you like GRiD. From what I can gather, NFS: Shift is going to be similar to GRiD but with sim like handling. Better than GTR 2 on PC at the higher levels is the rumoured standard.

PROPER sim handling? Interesting :)

PROPER sim handling? Interesting :)

The guys that are working on NFS:Shift are Blimey!/SMS, and they are mostly comprised of the original Simbin team. Most of the people that work there worked on GT Legends/GTR before setting up shop.

They had a Ferrari sim in the works, and I'm pretty sure they are using all the tech from that. Mind you its hard to tell how realistic it is as I haven't seen one video with someone using a wheel/no assists and they've also all been shit drivers from what I have seen.

I think there is a demo coming soon though. :D

Very interesting! :D

In other racing game news, I noticed that Megarace 1, 2 and 3 are now available at gog.com so I took the plunge. 1 holds up surprisingly well in the handling department. It can get a bit wobbly but generaly you feel like you can lean on the car in the corners. Megarace 2 is all over the place in terms of handling but it more than makes up for it in graphics, even now. I'm still a bit disappointed by this though. I only had the demo back in the day but I'm sure it was better than it feels now. I think something may be wrong. Megarace 3 is a mix of the two. Nice graphics and solid controls. All three have the superb Lance Boyle, too :)

All this leads me to a question about Megarace 2's graphics. They're pre-rendered and apart from the low resolution, they still look pretty good. Why can't games be made like this now? Surely they'd look stunning.

Well since we have this thread now, I'd like to chip in with my 2 cents...

ARCADE RACERS ARE SHIT! FFfFFffffuUUUuuUU...

Phew, that feels good.

My list for the upcoming racing season:

SBK09

Dirt 2

Forza Motorsport 3

GT 5 (next time the PS3 goes down in price)

Joe, where are the Forza threads in that 1st post list?! :)

My list for the upcoming racing season:

SBK09

Dirt 2

Forza Motorsport 3

GT 5 (next time the PS3 goes down in price)

Joe, where are the Forza threads in that 1st post list?! :)

I wanted to put the Forza threads in the first post, but couldn't find a good wat to do so. Will update it sometime soon.

And a bit surprising to see you're going for GT5 btw :( Same goes for me, although I've already got a PS3 and a 360. I'm not going for SBK09 however, I prefer four wheels over two any day.

I've hadn't been really into a semi-realistic car racer for years until I bought Grid recently. Just about getting bad at it, after being appalling for a couple of weeks. Hopefully graduate to average in a few more weeks.

Before that only Ridge Racer really had me hooked, with a bit of a nod to Wipeout HD.

I'm really looking forward to GT5 as I loved GT's 3 & 4. I got particularly into the rally sections. Love the rally in Dirt as well, although not played it much.

Anyway I want to get a GT Driving Force Wheel. Do these things really add to the experience? I'm hoping it'll make me better at GT and Grid.

Well since we have this thread now, I'd like to chip in with my 2 cents...

ARCADE RACERS ARE SHIT! FFfFFffffuUUUuuUU...

WRONGFAX! :(

There's as many excellent arcade racers as there are sim racers.

But enough of that :)

I've no idea when it's out but I believe ISI are working on rFactor 2.

I'm really looking forward to GT5 as I loved GT's 3 & 4. I got particularly into the rally sections. Love the rally in Dirt as well, although not played it much.

Anyway I want to get a GT Driving Force Wheel. Do these things really add to the experience? I'm hoping it'll make me better at GT and Grid.

Yeah, a decent wheel really adds to the experience. I got one for GT4 and have never looked back. The missus banned me from getting a drivers-side seat from a car in the scrappy though.

I eally want to play GRiD, but all codies driving games give me really, really bad motion sickness, so I can't...