Sign in to follow this  
Solid SOAP

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Basically, the US want Zelda to look and play like Skyrim.

And miss the point of what a zelda game is

Darksiders managed to be a Zelda-ish game yet still be enjoyed by all over there, didn't it? I don't see why Zelda has to stop being Zelda for some people to enjoy it, despite enjoying it previously. It's not like they're all just reskins or anything.

What is a real shame is how safe the 'fantasy' environments of WRPGs are - in fact, I'll go further to say ARPGs.

They are borne out of a desire to live a history they dont have themselves. Most of us in the UK can rock up to a castle in the middle of the countryside quite easily. Our environment is dripping in 100s of years of history... But America doesn't have that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel the mainstream in America would struggle with genuine fantasy that goes beyond Vikings, castles, elves and dragons.

So, when they play a game that has them soaring about the sky on a cartoon bird from a town that floats

In the sky - they can't place themselves there and start to think its 'lame' and 'kiddie' rather than a genuine work of imagination...

Or maybe not or something..

Darksiders managed to be a Zelda-ish game yet still be enjoyed by all over there, didn't it? I don't see why Zelda has to stop being Zelda for some people to enjoy it, despite enjoying it previously. It's not like they're all just reskins or anything.

It was a zelda with muscles set in our world...

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

You can't open up Zelda like Skyrim. It stops being Zelda. You can allow dungeons in different orders, like Lttp did but essentially you could only do that because it had items that were non essential for the next bit. That's the opposite tack Nintendo took for Skyward sword, and they called it right IMO, to make things more reusable and more dense.

Cinematic story? You could make a movie out TWW easily. Just a very different one to that Skyrim would be made into.

Fundamentally US sites are punishing it for not pandering to their demographic. That's fine, in a sense but you need to be clear about it.

• Upvote 3

Darksiders is fucking gash. I usually cringe a little when Zelda gets unnecessarily edgy (Midna for example), but I can barely hold myself together when it ramps it up by about a thousand.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Darksiders is fucking gash. I usually cringe a little when Zelda gets unnecessarily edgy (Midna for example), but I can barely hold myself together when it ramps it up by about a thousand.

Edgy? It was hilariously over the top! The world's most pissed off protaganist ever, but in a Zelda game with some meaty combat. I thought it was ace.

Had a friend have a go at the harp playing sidequest, he can't do it either

fucking impossible :lol:

edit: He fucking did it just now! His advice: "play the harp like a retard"

The Skyrim comparisons are strange. Zelda is an action/adventure game with an awful lot of environmental puzzles. Skyrim is, in most respects, a fairly orthodox first-person RPG. They do both have 'sky' in their title, I grant you.

• Upvote 3

A busker at Chancery Lane Tube station tonight was playing a medley of Zelda themes in the middle of the evening rush hour. Absolutely lovely. As if I could be any more excited about this game. :wub:

• Upvote 2

Some of it is orchestral. A lot of it is dynamic chip music by the sounds of it, especially the dungeon themes. The dynamic stuff is (technically) the best I've heard in a Zelda game, with regard to how dynamic it actually is depending on the situation.

• Upvote 1

They are borne out of a desire to live a history they dont have themselves. Most of us in the UK can rock up to a castle in the middle of the countryside quite easily. Our environment is dripping in 100s of years of history... But America doesn't have that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel the mainstream in America would struggle with genuine fantasy that goes beyond Vikings, castles, elves and dragons.

So, when they play a game that has them soaring about the sky on a cartoon bird from a town that floats

In the sky - they can't place themselves there and start to think its 'lame' and 'kiddie' rather than a genuine work of imagination...

Or maybe not or something..

Are you inferring that, for example, we in the UK can much more readily place ourselves in a game about soaring about the on a cartoon bird on a town that floats because we have more history, and...castles? Seems tenuous, and I wouldn't agree that Americans enjoy less diversity in their fairy tales than we do.

Ocarina of Time 3D topped the multi-platform US charts a couple of months ago, of course.

• Upvote 1

Gah. Mine is coming signed for delivery today and M'Lady has to go into work so they'll be no one home to sign for it. On top of which, my full day holiday for tomorrow has had to be cut down to just the afternoon because I work with idiots. So I can't imagine I'll be playing until at least 3pm tomorrow.

This is literally the worst thing that has happened to anyone.

Gah. Mine is coming signed for delivery today and M'Lady has to go into work so they'll be no one home to sign for it.

Perhaps your postie will leave it with the pikies down the street? I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up when you get back.. ;)

Are you inferring that, for example, we in the UK can much more readily place ourselves in a game about soaring about the on a cartoon bird on a town that floats because we have more history, and...castles? Seems tenuous, and I wouldn't agree that Americans enjoy less diversity in their fairy tales than we do.

Ocarina of Time 3D topped the multi-platform US charts a couple of months ago, of course.

IMO Japanese artists have drawn from the European world a lot, just look a FFT for example. I feel that there is some truth that for Europeans, Japanese games are a sort of interpretation of our world; seen from their point of view.

I also dont understand the American hate. To me SS is Nausicaa: the game (or Laputa: the game). Curiously enough, Laputa setting was inspired by a Welsh mining community. Wiki: Some of the architecture seen in the film was inspired by a Welsh mining town. Miyazaki first visited Wales in 1984 and witnessed the miners' strike firsthand.

I think there is an element of truth in the fact that Zelda feels more familiar to Europeans than to Americans. And what Mr Cochese said.

Check the Lanayru Mine entrance.

Didn't find anything there but I assume you mean

the lanayru caves? I paid the Goron to do some digging, went back to skyloft and slept and went back to the Goron, but he hasn't made any progress. Am I on the right track? How long do I have to wait?

edit: It was story locked! Got it now.

DAH DAH DAH DAAAAAAHHHHH.

The awkward thing is that I'm working from home tomorrow, and all my colleagues have seen me receive this. I'm actually going to be working from home, and have no plans to start this immediately either since I'm still working through Twilight Princess. But that's not how it LOOKS, is it ...