Tekken 6

TheShend

Just had some online matches with Asura, a couple of which were laggy as hell, for no particular reason - but surprisingly, the rest were fine, more or less. Taking that into account, I can only assume it's a locality issue, although that's far from ideal, especially with so few people on the forum showing interest, and no ability to search for opponents by region. Anyway, it doesn't change the general consenus about online, and given there's been nothing forthcoming about a patch of any kind, it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Dammit - I really, really like the core gameplay. If I could be assured of stable online play with my fellow countrymen, I'd be more than happy to keep a hold of the game.

EDIT: If anyone bothers picking this up and fancies trying online, my tag's "into the preach".

Getting really frustrated with the adventure mode. Whoever thought of taking Tekken, sticking the mechanics into a not-that-great 3d scroller and then sticking in enemies with guns that can juggle you from the far side of a corridor, and putting you into boss fights with sometimes ten or more other enemies to beat you senseless from every direction, was not a very kind person. :)

Getting really frustrated with the adventure mode. Whoever thought of taking Tekken, sticking the mechanics into a not-that-great 3d scroller and then sticking in enemies with guns that can juggle you from the far side of a corridor, and putting you into boss fights with sometimes ten or more other enemies to beat you senseless from every direction, was not a very kind person. :)

I suggest using a pad, if you aren't already. As for being gun-juggled, my only advice is to use free movement to intercept the guys responsible, because they suddenly stop shooting the moment you make your move. But yeah, there's plenty to dislike about scenario campaign, although I don't think the controls are one of em - actually, it's probably its one, redeeming feature.

Aye, running after them is my top priority, but then that usually results in Alisa getting pummeled to shit by everything else, and then said everything else coming and gutting me, it's making the G Corp tower (the Anna fight particularly) a real nightmare.

played a lot of this since yesterday - it's enjoyable enough even when it's a lag fest, but does seem to be plagued by peeps playing Hwoarang, and quitters. Grrr!

I've been playing ranked as Steve and have been generally a cheap bastard at every opportunity and not had a single quitter. Also not too many Hwoarang players so for once maybe ranked is the way to go. I'd go as far as saying this has my favourite ranked matchmaking of any online beat-em-up I've played, it's very quick to get you into a match and the skill level of the opponents seems very close to my own. If they fix the netcode at some point it'll be amazing.

Man, I really, really love the core gameplay. After months spent tolerating turtle-tactics in SFIV, it's massively refreshing to play a beat em up that's so offense-orientated - and when it's smooth sailing online, matches run at a blinding speed. I don't know how enamoured I'd be with the game if it weren't for the Bloodline Rebellion characters, mind you; lars, zafina bob etc are a quantum leap in almost every respect - character design, animation, movesets - and make the likes of Paul and Nina look and feel really antiquated by comparison.

The music is fucking awesome, too.

It's a real shame there's so much shit to pour on the overall package, because I really think I've found my new, favourite 3D beat em up.

Managed to return mine to the shop today. If it gets patched I'm going to re-buy it once its cheaper, but I didn't think it worth full whack. That being said, if you're a hardcore Tekken fan, there's plenty for you to get into.

I was going to give this a chance, but something puts me off than the less than great netcode. The core play of tekken is initimidating to me. Street fighter has shared moved between lots of characters- quarter circles, charge moves, dragon punch motions- know those and you can begin playing right away and get to know the characters and move on from there.

In tekken it seems like almost every move is a combo of some type, stuff you have to learn or memorise- which I hate, I've learnt the odd combo in SF (I main E Honda in HDR and SFIV so luckily I don't need to learn too much) but for me memorising different combinations of punches and kicks is something I cannot be bothered with. It's either that or you button bash- thats what I recall from my tekken 3 days anyway. Is that wrong? I'm soneone who hates practise mode in most fighting games, I like to have a core set of moves under my belt and learn the rest from fights, online videos and other players rather than sitting on practise mode memorising stuff bored out of my mind.

In tekken it seems like almost every move is a combo of some type, stuff you have to learn or memorise- which I hate, I've learnt the odd combo in SF (I main E Honda in HDR and SFIV so luckily I don't need to learn too much) but for me memorising different combinations of punches and kicks is something I cannot be bothered with. It's either that or you button bash- thats what I recall from my tekken 3 days anyway. Is that wrong? I'm soneone who hates practise mode in most fighting games, I like to have a core set of moves under my belt and learn the rest from fights, online videos and other players rather than sitting on practise mode memorising stuff bored out of my mind.

No, it isn't wrong at all. I feel the same way. One of the issues with some fighters is that of "move redundancy". The quintessential example (in Tekken's case) is that each character has two basic throws (LP+LK and RP+RK). These connect in the same way and do roughly the same damage, just with different animations.

Thing is, if one of them does slightly more damage, then you should really use that one all the time. Then the other basic throw is somewhat redundant.

Games like DOA4 get around the fact that many of its combos are redundant by having the mid-combo counters - many of a character's combos can be the same but the timing of the moves will be different, making it difficult to counter.

When I played as Paul Phoenix and King in Tekken Tag, people often used to get pissed off at my overuse of moves like King's Giant Swing - but the fact of the matter is that it connected in the same manner as many of his other throws, and did more damage - so when it came down to it, if there was a throw opportunity, I was always going to use it.

The trick to Tekken's combos though is to remember many moves for each character "tree" out into different combos - that's the easiest way to remember it IMO. Once you have all of those "starters" down, you can just play and gradually memorise the stuff that comes after.

Eventually though you'll have to prune your knowledge a bit, and use the training mode to figure out if any of your combos are redundant; in that case you need to work out which ones connect in the same way, then just stick with the strongest one. Not specifically a Tekken example but I did this in DOA4 with Tina; for each of her juggle launchers I found the most damaging follow-up, and always remembered that one, to maximise my damage potential off the juggles.

For me with Tekken 3/4/Tag/5/Soul Calibur/2/Virtua Fighter 5 this was usually the way I got the hang of it. In the end I'd find myself only using about a third of the movelist.

I was going to give this a chance, but something puts me off than the less than great netcode. The core play of tekken is initimidating to me. Street fighter has shared moved between lots of characters- quarter circles, charge moves, dragon punch motions- know those and you can begin playing right away and get to know the characters and move on from there.

In tekken it seems like almost every move is a combo of some type, stuff you have to learn or memorise- which I hate, I've learnt the odd combo in SF (I main E Honda in HDR and SFIV so luckily I don't need to learn too much) but for me memorising different combinations of punches and kicks is something I cannot be bothered with. It's either that or you button bash- thats what I recall from my tekken 3 days anyway. Is that wrong? I'm soneone who hates practise mode in most guys, I like to have a core set of moves under my belt and learn the rest from fights, online videos and other players rather than sitting on practise mode memorising stuff.

like I said earlier, the new breed of characters seem greatly more sophisticated than your usual Tekken fare, and they definitely don't lend themselves to random button-bashing. Like with any beat em up, learning a character is gradual: pick a handful of moves that work for you and stick with them until someone or something avails you to other possibilities. I just started with Lars and I've only really scratched the surface of what he can do.

I still can't wholeheartedly recommend it, but once they patch it or drop the price - whichever comes first - I'd seriously suggest fight fans give it a go, starting with one of the more recent additions to the roster.

Thanks for those answers, clarifying the nature of the game to me. Preacher, the scary thing about picking and finding a character is that they're so many! I might pick up a cheap Tekken 5 for the PS2 to see if it has any hold over me and upgrade to 6 if I get into it and the code gets fixed.

Thanks for those answers, clarifying the nature of the game to me. Preacher, the scary thing about picking and finding a character is that they're so many! I might pick up a cheap Tekken 5 for the PS2 to see if it has any hold over me and upgrade to 6 if I get into it and the code gets fixed.

I'm not particularly enamoured with Tekken 5's roster additions as they are in 6, truth be told - they're definitely a step-up from the old guard, but don't even compare to the breath of fresh air the bloodline rebellion crew represents. Lars in particular is unlike any other character in terms of move set and execution. I'm by no means a Tekken expert, but it doesn't take a genius to see the difference between old and new in Tekken 6, and I'm uncertain as to whether you'll get that same sense of progress from 5. Tekken fans, please feel free to point out why I'm wrong.

There are characters that are geared more towards single moves that fit certain situations, rather than lengthy combos. I'm not a great memoriser either, which is why I play Feng - he has very few combos in his move set, but he's still very useful. Other characters to consider imo would be Asuka, Dragunov, Lili and maybe Bruce or Jack. Can't offer an opinion about the new ones yet as I haven't had chance to play them much. Obviously with juggles you just have to learn them but you can still get to decent level by just using relatively simple ones.

I'm not particularly enamoured with Tekken 5's roster additions as they are in 6, truth be told - they're definitely a step-up from the old guard, but don't even compare to the breath of fresh air the bloodline rebellion crew represents. Lars in particular is unlike any other character in terms of move set and execution. I'm by no means a Tekken expert, but it doesn't take a genius to see the difference between old and new in Tekken 6, and I'm uncertain as to whether you'll get that same sense of progress from 5. Tekken fans, please feel free to point out why I'm wrong.

I think going from Tekken 3 to 5 might not feel like that much of a progression as the big deal with Tekken 5 was that it it felt like Tekken again, after 4 veered off course a bit. I think playing 5 to see if you might like 6 isn't a bad plan though - I haven't had much chance to play 6 yet but it seems to be taking what was good about 5 and running with it, expanding on it.

I'm loving this.

It looks good, and I've always had a soft spot for Tekken.

I've not had too much time to play, but an hour of ranked matches this afternoon was excellent. Some games were laggy, but it was never too bad.

My 360 tag is "Soi", if anyone is up for a game.

It's absolutely worth it IF you have other offline friends to play. Unsure varies from perfect to unplayable, jury is still out there for me.

Still the best home version of tekken ever, juggles are toned down in damage, cast is well balanced, customisation is good. I'm a fan :hat:

Lars is ...unusual definitely, but I'm a massive fan of Leo and Miguel at the moment. Leo is what Akira from VF would be like if he had a-cups :hat: Miguel fights like a drunken tourist.. or perhaps something like Yamazaki from KoF, all laid back swagger B)

What's the difficulty like in this? I've enjoyed playing beat-'em-ups but have always had to tone down the difficulty. I've done okay in previous Tekkens (apart from 5 but I think I may have tried playing on medium) but I'm just wondering if there are changes at all.

Aside from the rather cheap end boss (who i swear can actually attack while he's blocking :hat: ), the difficulty is pretty good dependant on what you set it on. In other news, finished the campaign! Bit of a non-ending, not sure whether i'll go back and hunt the secret stages but I guess if I want all the characters for arena i'll have to.

I'm really quite disappointed with this game to be honest, my mate's got it and when I saw him playing that adventure mode I thought 'WTF?', nothing like Tekken Force mode which I was hoping for, but that wasn't what I was interested in. So we have a couple of vs. matches and I soon start to notice the truly appauling loading time you're greeted with after each fight, it's not even like the graphics are a big step up from T5: Dark Resurrection. Bob is an awesome character though.