Borderlands from Gearbox

If you're referring to what i posted, i'm talking about the Elemental Damage that certain weapons dish out on top of standard damage. The types are: Fire, Electric, Explosive and Corrosive. An "x4" obviously has more of a chance to inflict added damage than an "x1". But you won't see those until you get further into the game.

If you're referring to weapons which have an x2 or whatever in the Damage stat, then that refers to how many bullets it spits out per shot. Obviously not all shots will hit unless you're up close - this is mainly applies to shotguns (although its not exclusive).

I sense there's going to be some MMO-style dps equations going on then ;)

Effectively my shotgun with 12 (x11) is better than my shotgun with 18 (x5) then.

Really looking forward to getting stuck in, thanks for all the responses guys.

One last question if I may... How much does the weapon damage vary as you progress? Does it stay pretty constant throughout, with the main variable being your level, or will there will be weapons that completely outdo my shotgun with 12 damage?

I have shotguns with 400+ damage. What you once thought was a good weapon will be overpowered very quickly.

Wait for Sledge's shotgun. That's tasty with it's 10,000% critical hit damage

Siren, Curtis :doh:

On Playthrough two, just about to hit level 50 with my soldier, have the turret ramped up to max on everything, huge capacity on my Combat rifle (around 240damage per round, capacity of around 210 per clip, about 80 accuracy with around 11 fire rate), which pretty much means I don't need a single other weapon, bar the 'Elephant Gun' (750+ damage omg), a shiled with 1050 capacity and health regeneration, glorious :wub:

Gonna run through the Zombie DLC tonight, me thinks. Almost 48 hours put into my main save file, with 10 hours on a split screen co-op run with my cousin.

Beautiful game.

what kind of weapon were you using? I had some of the best guns to be found in the game and never had anything that could take him down in a few clips. He was easy enough, but I still found it took a little while.

just my regular white SMG with the damage-increasing mod. as i said, i prefer to use zoom and go for quick headshots - so about 70% of my hits were criticals. the backup robo guys that come from the flanks were nothing but a nuisance - about a clip for the regular ones and maybe two for the Badass version. the whole thing was over in less than five minutes.

I started this last night with two friends, its really good stuff :)

We were finding it fairly tricky, one friend has never really played an FPS before so was fighting the dual sticks, and the other has only recently got into console games. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and I can see us sinking plenty of hours in, we're expecting a fourth member soon who has plenty of console FPS experience which should help a bit.

One question... what are the recommended weapons for Sirens? I started off with an SMG and psitol, but i've been enjoying the combat rifle and shotgun since then.

Early in the game you'll just use what's best at the time. Ultimately you'll find that your siren will become unstoppable with SMGs, especially a Double Anarchy (at short range) and a fire spewing SMG (long range), of which the best is the "hellfire" series.

I'm gutted I missed out on this at launch, must have been a real buzz at the time. I can only think it was when my 360 had RROD'd and I held off having it repaired for about 6 months, only deciding to get it sorted about 2 weeks before ME2 came out.

Regardless, its great to be playing it now, and i'm glad to finally have found a co-op game a few of my friends can enjoy.

Wow this is the game that keeps on giving, it's absoloutely superb.

Up to level 24 with my Siren now, inventory space is increasing, I have a incendinary blast alongside phasewalk, my class item gives me ability boosts and a crazy +44% SMG damage... It's relentless with upgrades and it's really addictive, i'm very keen on my current crop of four weapons, but I know they'll be an outrageously fun upgrade not far away.

Unfortunately i've had the day off today and so raced 10 levels ahead of my friends, but i've now started a second character. Borderlands is :wub:

aye, it is a very good game - the writing and characterisation is spot on - even though i have completed all the main quests and have only a couple of side-missions to finish i still go back just to try out different weapons and muck about. i found an amazing revolver that kills most things with one shot, sometime two if they are armoured up.

Quick question regarding the DLC... do all of the areas scale to your level like Moxxi's? Or should I be preparing to head off to some of the areas at a certain point?

The DLC scales so you should be fine. Beware the longer challenges in Moxxi though - those can be rather epic indeed, so make sure you've got the best kit you can before trying them. They're dead easy for the most part but the end can get a bit brutal, especially if the penalties and bonuses go certain ways.

Level 32 on my Siren now and still really enjoying this. I have a scoped SMG of every elemental type, which covers me for all occasions and a couple of outrageous weapons just for fun. I think I have made the mistake of heading to the Zombie Island mid-game, so i've ended up outgrowing the majority of my current quests, but saying that I thought the DLC itself was superb.

Due to having a few more gaming hours than my Borderlands playing friends i've gone ahead a few levels, so i'm now catching them up with a Soldier, which is also superb fun.

I think i'm going to struggle to find anything as co-op friendly when Borderlands is over, which is a shame as my two friends (both relatively new to console gaming) have been thouroughly enjoying it. Perhaps Left 4 Dead...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hopelessy addicted to this now, since my last post a couple of weeks back i've taken my siren to 37 and a soldier to 48 (and a beserker to 7 and a hunter to 15).

Playthrough 2 has been much more challenging, despite knowing where i'm going and what i'm doing, it's been much more fun and i'm really starting to find some lovely weapons now. Expanding the skill tree is so very addictive, my soldier has a fair mix of support and infantry. I particularly love grenadier, regenerating greandes after a kill is hilarious when going head to head with a big group of spiderants or skags :)

Is anyone able to briefly explain how the XP shares when playing as odd groups? For example last night I joined a friends game with this set up:

39 beserker - HOST

47 soldier - ME

25 soldier - FRIEND

From what I can work out the game is set to the hosts level, so I was getting minimal XP from kills (between 3-25), the host was getting the normal amount and the 25 soldier was recieving a lot (though the same as what he'd get if level 39). In a way it worked, we're trying to get the soldier to 33ish so he can finish the game and start a playthrough 2 with us as a group, but i'm not entirely sure I understand quite how it's worked out yet.

One more thing... picked up money is shared but ammo isnt, correct?

EDIT: Ok ONE more thing, if anyone on the 360 has a nice shield they could spare my soldier i'd be uber grateful, been on the lookout for something half decent since level 25 now. My current one is 588 capacity, 182 recharge and 30% max health. Thanks.

The level of the game is set by the host. So if you join a level 60 host with a level 1 character, you would gain lots of XP very, very quickly. If you were to join a level 1 host with a level 60 character, you would gain pretty much no XP at all. If you were all the same level, you'd be getting the same XP. It only changes when there's an imbalance.

If you want to boost the XP of a character, just join the highest level game you can. In all likelihood you won't be able to survive long or kill anything but as XP is shared, it won't matter. I wouldn't recommend playing in this way for a first playthrough but it's good to know when you want to try out other characters on subsequent games.

BTW, money is shared, ammo isn't.

EDIT: Ok ONE more thing, if anyone on the 360 has a nice shield they could spare my soldier i'd be uber grateful, been on the lookout for something half decent since level 25 now. My current one is 588 capacity, 182 recharge and 30% max health. Thanks.

The best shield advice is to get one that regenerates health...

I've never found the need, soldiers turret does that for me, as does phsewalking on a siren.

From what i've played, more immediate defence is what would benefit me most.

Really? Even as a solider I found a healing shield useful - quite often your power may be on recharge. Do you die a lot?

The level of the game is set by the host. So if you join a level 60 host with a level 1 character, you would gain lots of XP very, very quickly. If you were to join a level 1 host with a level 60 character, you would gain pretty much no XP at all. If you were all the same level, you'd be getting the same XP. It only changes when there's an imbalance.

If you want to boost the XP of a character, just join the highest level game you can. In all likelihood you won't be able to survive long or kill anything but as XP is shared, it won't matter. I wouldn't recommend playing in this way for a first playthrough but it's good to know when you want to try out other characters on subsequent games.

BTW, money is shared, ammo isn't.

Thanks for your answer as always mate :)

I think you'd have to be very VERY good to carry two lower levels players, as you say, whereas two high and one low seems to work very well.

Really? Even as a solider I found a healing shield useful - quite often your power may be on recharge. Do you die a lot?

I have barely 10 seconds between each turret use, what with the cooldown reduction and the -5s from each hit perks.

I don't die a lot, no, but I do find my shield is gone quicker than i'd like. If I do get down to losing health I can turret/phasewalk and its topped up within 5-10 seconds. Phasewalking also allows time to regenerate shields and you get a fairly hefty -damage on exiting, but it's not so easy for soldiers as you're still under fire with a turret active.

I actually did this to level a character for a game. I got my level 40 odd character, stuck it on playthrough 2, and joined a level 1 newbie. I kept him back on his own while I ramapaged around killing stuff. He mashed up through the levels quickly.

The best shield advice is to get one that regenerates health...

depends on the character. with my Siren i go for maximum shield capacity coupled with a decent recharge rate and tons of health packs. hiding behind a cactus while your health slowly climbs back up doesn't appeal to me, i prefer to get right in there and destroy as much as i can before i require medical assistance.

depends on the character. with my Siren i go for maximum shield capacity coupled with a decent recharge rate and tons of health packs. hiding behind a cactus while your health slowly climbs back up doesn't appeal to me, i prefer to get right in there and destroy as much as i can before i require medical assistance.

Same as, and with Inner Glow and a lengthy phasewalk duration you can recharge that lost health during combat anyway.

I don't rely on health packs unless i'm playing solo, they're just not easy to use in co-op in the heat of battle.

Not sure if this works, but here's my current soldier:

I'm surprised you didn't go for bigger magazine size. I whacked that up pretty much as soon as I could. Then when you get other bonuses you can get huge clips = great fun!

I'm surprised you didn't go for bigger magazine size. I whacked that up pretty much as soon as I could. Then when you get other bonuses you can get huge clips = great fun!

My class item has bonuses to assault, impact and overload, so those are at 4, 9 and 5 respectively :)

My class item has bonuses to assault, impact and overload, so those are at 4, 9 and 5 respectively :)

Doesn't it stack if you keep adding there though? I love big clips, I'm sure I got one around 200 or more in an assault rifle.