rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
ghosted

Borderlands from Gearbox

Release Date: October 23rd in Europe

So Gearbox seem fairly comfortable with First Person Shooters having worked on things like Opposing Force and Brothers In Arms and their next offering (which isn't Aliens Colonial Marines) is Borderlands

In short, it's a Mad Max styled FPS RPG in a large world sporting procedural weapon (and mission I think) generation meaning millions of different combinations are possible (to be taken with a pinch of salt). It's recently undergone a facelift which has pushed it well into my 'one to watch' category. Take a look see...

borderlandsss4med.jpg

borderlandsss5med.jpg

borderlandsss6med.jpg

borderlandsss7med.jpg

And you can get a glimspe of the thing in motion in the teaser trailer.

There's also a bit more info to be had via the lovely RockPaperShotgun here. Not sure about anyone else but I'm proper moist for this.

Update: Multiplayer.it footage

Update: Gameplay Trailer

Nice one woo.

I'm really surprised that there's so little interest in this, from both the press and general audience. Do people not like the new art style? I thought there was loads of love for Diablo these days and this, from what I gather, will be offering something similar in terms of 'looting' and exploring.

I'm finding it difficult to go back to Diablo II after the fucking thing rinsed me for all my best gear numerous times. I couldn't face the trawl back to where I died. Besides, there's been a few games that add to the formula which I wish was in Diablo, but like you say the patch is coming. Fuck knows when though :wub:

Interview with Randy Pitchford at Gametrailers, has some new gameplay footage throughout. I kept wondering when Randy would stop for air but the guy's so enthusiastic he just keeps on going :unsure:

Game itself looks great to me, especially like that lightning gun ;) The style change was one of the best things they could have done for that game, it looks great.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-borderlands/51346

I really like the look of this but releasing at the end of October is just a terrible decision. If they can't get it out before the end of August then they need to wait until at least March next year or it'll get lost completely.

I was going to say October isn't too bad but I've just seen that Red Dead Redemption, Brutal Legend, Forza III, Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell Conviction, Dragon Age: Origins, Ghostbusters and Max Payne 3 are all out that month. Even though I reckon some of those will slip there's still a lot of potential quality there. From a mainstream selling point of view though surely it's only Splinter Cell and Ghostbusters that are the real threat there. Everything else is an unknown and Forza is a different genre completely.

I was going to say October isn't too bad but I've just seen that Red Dead Redemption, Brutal Legend, Forza III, Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell Conviction, Dragon Age: Origins, Ghostbusters and Max Payne 3 are all out that month. Even though I reckon some of those will slip there's still a lot of potential quality there. From a mainstream selling point of view though surely it's only Splinter Cell and Ghostbusters that are the real threat there. Everything else is an unknown and Forza is a different genre completely.

Red Dead Redemption and Payne will be 2010 games, so that's those sorted.

That looks right up my street from the look of those vids

Role-playing FPS...........loot............custom weapons............multiple classes............4 player live......

Interest +5

Looks a hell of a lot more fun than Fallout in any case. You'd think they could make it less jerky, however. Bit of inertia on the aiming or something. It looks like a game from 2002.

That trailer is really fucking excellent.

Yep. It looks lovely. Brothers in Arms may have disappointed, but Randy Pitchford seems such a likable fella. I'm rooting for the guy.

Giantbomb Impressions

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/we-played-borderlands/1590/

Really does sound amazing.

In addition to the procedurally generated gun system, the other big thing people keep talking about with Borderlands is its graphics. The "concept art" style used in the game looks great so far, giving the game a very distinctive look while still allowing for a clean, smooth frame rate. Also, the game will apparently offer more variety in its locales than has been shown so far. Most of the stuff that Gearbox has revealed shows the wasteland areas that you'll see at the beginning of the game. But in talking with Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, I learned that the game will apparently offer quite a bit of environmental variety, including snow. Personally, I was expecting it to be all Mad Max, all the time. So hearing that the game will offer some different looks sounds cool.

:lol:

for some reason I have a feeling of dread about this. the last game that tried something like this was Hellgate London, and look how that was received. I enjoyed Hellgate, but it did get very very repetative.

Yeah, definitely going to hold out for trying it before putting any cash up. It could completely hook me, but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest that it will. Screenshots do look astoundingly good though. Looking at their past catalogue, Gearbox seem to be reliably adequate, so if this is actually good it'll be a bit of a departure for them.

It's from good stock - BIA:HH was a little gem, spoiled only by moments of last-gen design.

I fancy it as the breakout title for GB.