IGNORED

New gaming site/community

davejm

Hi guys,

For the past couple of years, a few peeps (including myself and Super Stu) have been working on a new gaming site. Essentially, it's a community led site (articles and news items are posted by the community, rather than staff writers) with the idea that site members can build up a personal gaming profile built around a database of games.

Site features

- We currently have around 13,000 games in the database, covering current and retro platforms

- Game info includes basic info such as publisher and developer info, release dates, cover art etc and screenshots

- Games can be rated out of 10 with the chance to leave a mini-review type snipped of info

- Members can flag whether they own a game, whether they're playing it, or whether they're watching it

- Email or PM notifications are sent to members when games they're watching recieve database edits such as release date changes, or when a related forum article (news article, review etc) is posted.

- Members can view or share their own profile, which lists all the games they own, are playing or are watching; as well as any articles they've written.

- Profile pages and the site homepage features an 'infofeed' which lists member or site activity as it happens; i.e when people add games to the database, add games to their collection, or when they start playing a game.

- Any articles posted on the forum (reviews, retrospectives etc) are linked to the main site and can be viewed from a dedicated article page which can be filtered by platform or article type. The best articles will be featured on the front page.

- Members can create 'Top Lists' (for example; Top 10 RPGs, Top 5 Mario games) which are linked from their profile and can be published on the forum for discussion.

- There's probably other stuff I've forgot to mention, and we welcome new ideas!

How can you help?

We're looking for database 'researchers'. Ideally we'd like people dedicated to specific platforms, that can monitor Gamespress (the gaming press website where pubs/devs issue press releases etc) and add any games to the database that get announced, upload any cover art, edit release dates etc. We need people that can do this on a daily basis, so that we can be sure a specific platform is covered as thoroughly as possible.

What I will say, is that this isn't a professional site. I'm the only coder, and there are a handful of staff members that will moderate. We can't pay for professional news hounds or data entry peeps, so we're asking for people to join us that like the idea of the site, and feel like they want to be a part of the community and are willing to spend time helping out.

Any takers?

While we're still developing the site (including security features) we don't want to give out the URL.

I've PM'd Rayn.

I would if I could.

I can't quite work out if this is a sign of interest that you want to help or not? :s

I could be interested in this - my old forum seems to have gone thoroughly to pot so I'm looking for another internetz diversion. Just let me know what you're after and how it's done and I'll see if I can help.

I'll help you out. But I'd suggest that you try and get groups of people looking after a platform / publisher etc rather than one man to each one.

I just checked and I still have access to gamespress as well. You'd best PM me and let me know more specifically what you'd need done.

It's an interesting site, and clearly you've put a lot of work into it already, but I wonder if you should push the user-comments/mini-reviews feature a bit more, else it seems a bit Moby Games-esque.

Also, I don't know where you've plugged this, but for the retro bits you should mention it on Retro Gamer, and for the C64 and Amiga the Lemon community seems pretty-good, you may get some support from there?

Sadly I can't help, but good luck with it.

Why isn't this a Facebook app?

At it's core, the site is a forum with all this jiggery pokery cleverly added on by Dave, but we've discussed having an application on Facebook so it's definitely on the cards.

It's an interesting site, and clearly you've put a lot of work into it already, but I wonder if you should push the user-comments/mini-reviews feature a bit more, else it seems a bit Moby Games-esque.

Also, I don't know where you've plugged this, but for the retro bits you should mention it on Retro Gamer, and for the C64 and Amiga the Lemon community seems pretty-good, you may get some support from there?

Sadly I can't help, but good luck with it.

Cheers Gabe. We've been reluctant to approach already established communities, as one of our aims is to create a community of our own. So yeah, we've done no real 'plugging' of the site up to now. All the database entry has been done by people we already know that have helped us get started.

Site looks boss...not sure where I can help, but would like to if there is anything less technical needed.

No technical know-how is required! :) The updating of the database is all done via web forms, so if you know how to use a forum such as this one you'll easily be able to use the database functions of the site. It's all down to whether you can spend the time checking the relevant news sites (gamespress) and updating the game info as it changes, but yeah, it's all very easy to use the site.