Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

I know, another person taken in by Naughty Dog's style over substance :(

Oh, wait...

Though, that does make me think that maybe another poll might be in order - this time of the forum's "games of the generation". It's certainly about time for it.

I don't understand the Naughty dog comment, sarcasm or otherwise. There's loads and loads and loads of substance here. Way way too much of it. It all ranges from occasionally excellent to abominable, and is mostly sub par. The "style" of this game is naff to the extreme, a 12 year old's reinterpretation of Del Toro. There's a good six hour game here absolutely drowning in a sea of shite.

The writing is a bit a naff in Lords Of Shadow and you can tell Patrick Stewart sounds a bit bored but as an action game I thought it was superb. I'm looking forward to finally playing it at a good framerate. Hope they release Mirrors Of Fate on PC along with Lords Of Shadow 2 as they make up a trilogy.

I liked it. Er, hang on...

Probably playing right through something youre hating is a bit silly so I shouldnt worry.

There is some great style in the Illustrations you unlock every so often. I do remember those better than the actual levels so maybe something was lost in between. Its been a while.

I don't understand the Naughty dog comment, sarcasm or otherwise. There's loads and loads and loads of substance here. Way way too much of it. It all ranges from occasionally excellent to abominable, and is mostly sub par. The "style" of this game is naff to the extreme, a 12 year old's reinterpretation of Del Toro. There's a good six hour game here absolutely drowning in a sea of shite.

Just me getting my customary jab in at Naughty Dog's expense, sorry. I'd agree that it's even odder to have Lords of Shadow as your game of the generation - as you say, it's a game which veers far too far towards quantity over quality. It does at least have a decent fighting game in it, it's just that it's spoiled by repetition and rubbish platforming and "puzzles". I don't really understand why you forced yourself to complete it - once again, I've staggered to a halt on my playthrough, and have no intention to carry on. I enjoyed it for a little over 10 hours before it outstayed its welcome, and with less bloat it could have been a much better game, but I still consider 10 hours of enjoyment to be worth £15. Just, yeah, not my game of the generation.

Perhaps "presentation over mechanics" would have been more appropriate. It's a reasonable action-adventure with awful stealth elements, overlaid with brilliant scripted storytelling and a well-written linear narrative. Which makes it pretty much anathema to me.

It's been a few hours but I still can't process The Last Of Us being termed "style over substance"!

TLOS is great, but not that great IMO. Many people sucked in by the reviews and hype. Would make a better movie than it is a game IMO.

And I think you're being too hard on CLOS.

Probably playing right through something youre hating is a bit silly so I shouldnt worry.

No, I did like it, really. I even did all the challenges. OK, it's no God Of War or Symphony of the Night, but I like the fighting system once you get used to the rhythm. It has some nice spectacle, too. The story is a bit nonsense, though.

If anything, I thought the scant few ripped-out-of-Colossus bosses were pretty neat.

No, I did like it, really. I even did all the challenges. OK, it's no God Of War or Symphony of the Night, but I like the fighting system once you get used to the rhythm. It has some nice spectacle, too. The story is a bit nonsense, though.

If anything, I thought the scant few ripped-out-of-Colossus bosses were pretty neat.

I think mrpranny was referring to Moz getting more and more annoyed as he forced his way through a game he no longer enjoyed.

Perhaps "presentation over mechanics" would have been more appropriate. It's a reasonable action-adventure with awful stealth elements, overlaid with brilliant scripted storytelling and a well-written linear narrative. Which makes it pretty much anathema to me.

There is nothing wrong with the mechanics in TLoU. They allow for really dynamic gameplay and on the fly improvisation, which is more than most games offer, this one included. I started it, but by god, is it slow. Not just that, but some seriously good art-direction aside, it has really shallow combat and a rather crappy narrative. I wasn't expecting something with the depth of a Platinum actioner to begin with, but God of War does this type of game better. Way better.

Last Of Us isn't a stealth game, you simply take out as many guys as possible while their backs are turned before it all goes wrong and you shoot the rest of them. There's no real focus on stealth or stealth mechanics. If you try to stealth through it you're going to have a bad time. The shooting in last of us is revelatory at times, every single bullet matters. Compare that to castlevania where entire stretches of the game are totally forgettable and inconsequential :lol:

• 3 years later...

So, picked the deluxe edition up on steam for £4 recently...and I'm not sure what to make of it. There seems to be a lot to the combat, but I feel kind of overwhelmed sometimes. So much so that I've knocked the difficulty down to easy, and have yet to get the "combat flow" or whatever it;s called up to full more than once. Still early days as I'm just up to chapter 2, but still unsure about it being much more than half-decent God of War clone.

• 2 months later...

Is there a reason they can't just make Symphony of the Night in 3D?

I tried playing this for a couple of hours tonight hoping for a bit of gothic adventuring and was horribly disappointed to find it's a fixed camera, hack and slash, Devil May Cry kind of affair. A rubbish one too. It feels like an early access Steam game kickstarted by a small fledgling development team. Baffled by the almost universally positive reviews.

What did you like about it? Of the two hours I played:

- level design was bland

- there was zero exploration

- the whole thing was chopped up into weird little stages that gave it more of an arcadey feel than an adventure

- fixed camera made it impossible to see certain enemies and bosses

- unexpectedly having to change the direction you're pushing the analogue stick due to the camera's frequent reorientation

- endless QTEs

- those scripted QTE horseback chases

- pointless overabundance of combo moves as with all games like this

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

What did you like about it? Of the two hours I played:

- level design was bland

- there was zero exploration

- the whole thing was chopped up into weird little stages that gave it more of an arcadey feel than an adventure

- fixed camera made it impossible to see certain enemies and bosses

- unexpectedly having to change the direction you're pushing the analogue stick due to the camera's frequent reorientation

- endless QTEs

- those scripted QTE horseback chases

- pointless overabundance of combo moves as with all games like this

The game is a hark back to the likes of Castlevania 4, not Symphony of the Night. 

A modern day version of games like this are just like you describe, if you don't like playing things like that, this game isn't for you.