Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

I found you can't really use most of the combos in the game on anything, you need to do 2 or 3 hits then roll away, tap-tap roll, tap-tap roll. None of your attacks stun the big mobs or knock them out of an attack so you they just plough on through with their attack while you're in mid animation of your 8 hit combo

Not really sure why some of the longer combos are even in the game.

Oh and drop it down to easy, like I did. It actually starts being fun again rather than a teeth grinding chore.

What? You get block breakers, and you can often use the long combos (direct for up to 9 hits), you just have watch the patterns and learn when.

So yes you can't stand face to face with the enemey and hammer buttons and hope to win/get focus/magic :P

Great, this is another one of those games that use the common synonym for annoyance: Challenges <_<

All trials can be done on Squire, so best to do them on that really if theyre being a pain in the arse. I've seen mention of "Esquire" but cant figure out if thats someone just mis-saying Squire difficulty or if its another very easy difficulty or something.

Edit: I've been doing them all on normal so far, and only the time related trials have been giving me trouble, notable the library one and the one with destroying 100 objects in 20 seconds or so. I think with the latter double jump will sort me out as I dont have to open a gate, and the former just needs more shadow/light magic and the holy water.

The main problem with the dodge is that there's no invincibility frames. You generally have to anticipate an attack as opposed to being able to react to it.

I find the direct attack (holding X, tap X, X... on a 360 controller) works well alongside parrying and countering with X. You can't just lash away though, longer combos rarely finish before you get smacked so you need to be mobile.

I'm doing all the challenges on Paladin mode. I am awesome though ;)

With max magic etc though :P

I felt like a demon parrying the Lycan Dark Lords attacks when he was in Lycan form, then hitting him a few times, parrying, hitting, dodging unblockable attacks while doing the trial on normal with little to no health and shadow magic. "Is this -Ooof- the best -Owww- the Brotherhood -arrgh- can offer?!? *pant pant*" :ph34r:

Chapter 8 down.

2 boss battles in a row which demonstrate why I love this type of game.

Epic atmosphere, takes the skills learnt over the game and at the same time is difficult but not impossible. I did both first time, but by the skin of my teeth. Tense, without being "impossibly/knife edge"

Given the upgrade I just got I'm considering back tracking a bit now - that seems to have been the last one I've seen things for that I couldn't reach.

Sooner or later developers are just gonna chuck a god mode in. No one cares about reward from challenge. Just chuck in god mode and let people mop up achievements for their pointless high score and move onto the next game. No attention or effort put in, just a string of mass consumption.

I bet if someone release a game on xbox live that involved the player continuously popping bubble wrap in return for 1G it would be the biggest selling game ever.

It's not that so much as there are more and more games coming out these days and it's difficult to keep up. A lot of people play games for enjoyment rather than challenge and might reasonably expect an Easy mode to be just that: easy. For a Normal mode to offer a bit of a challenge but not one that's too frustrating, and Hard and even Expert modes for those who do like their games tough.

Especially if a game is 20-odd hours long, you don't want to be repeating bits over and over. Things have changed, and a lot of players don't want the old-school approach of rote learning any more. Some do, and that's why a lot of games have harder difficulties or challenge modes.

I've always found it pretty silly that achievement points or gamerscore actually mean nothing. What are they for? showing you did some pointless activity in a game more or less. If achievements actually unlocked something in the game that was cool then it'd have more meaning. The points themselves do nothing, no matter how high your gamerscore is :facepalm:

Playing this last night and just about everything about it started to rub me up the wrong way, all the little flaws I was happy to look past, started to scream at me. The millions of invisible walls, the levels effectively being one long linear corridor, the boring and overlong titan boss fight, the crappy difficulty level, the lack of original ideas, etc.

Maybe I was in a grump, maybe I wasn't in the right mood. Who knows. :huh:

you should change your name to joyless-j9 you deep goon.

the titan boss fights aren't long if you do them properly. some of you have spacky hands i think.

you should change your name to joyless-j9 you deep goon.

the titan boss fights aren't long if you do them properly. some of you have spacky hands i think.

Especially as the trials for both of the titans are to finish them in just under two minutes or there abouts

Don't understand the difficulty, I breezed through it on normal and am now doing the challenges on Paladin and even the bosses aren't tricky. You just apply the same rules as you do in the Ninja Gaiden games (block first, hit the shit out of them later). That's been working for me. I wasnt even powering up by repeating levels in order to get everything first either.

Holy crap, Chapter 6 was awesome. Slowly becoming a strong favourite of mine now is this game :wub:

:lol: Glad you're liking it now.

Just about to fight the Lycan king, can't wait! Love it when you get a game that you can't wait to play when you get home from work

it is the best thing ever. chapter 7 has some of the best graphics i have seen in a game. i think it was 7 anyway

when you're pegging it across the bridge and the castle is in the background and it looks amazing

Yeah that bit is incredible. Very Castlevania as well.

The visuals actually get better if that's possible as well.

Sooner or later developers are just gonna chuck a god mode in. No one cares about reward from challenge. Just chuck in god mode and let people mop up achievements for their pointless high score and move onto the next game. No attention or effort put in, just a string of mass consumption.

I bet if someone release a game on xbox live that involved the player continuously popping bubble wrap in return for 1G it would be the biggest selling game ever.

Spoken like a true developer there. Sure it's the gamers' fault.

That first Titan, jesus. Hidden checkpoint halfway through which I reached on my first go but with a sliver of health, so I had to do the second half of the boss without taking a hit. Load of trial and error bollocks anyway, climb up so far then get knocked off because you didn't know you had to go left or right or down for a bit to avoid his hand.

First thought was 'ah well, least I'm getting achievements.' Second thought was 'oh shit this is the PS3 version.' Third thought: 'what a fucking bellend that Kevvy Metal is.'

The issue (if there even is an issue here) is simple - there are many different types of gamer, each with different amounts of gaming time and each wanting something different from their games.

Time for me is a crucial factor, I have limited gaming time due to real life commitments, should be punished for this? should I be excluded from playing games I want to play and enjoy due to this? Sure when I was in my late teens and early twenties and lived on my own, I could put the many hours in needs to learn all the attack patterns, all the combos, repeat sections over & over. Times change, I've changed - and I want enjoyment & fun from my games now, not rote learning and drudgery.

Anyhow I've dropped it to easy, I'm having fun. That's all that matters, right?

That first Titan, jesus. Hidden checkpoint halfway through which I reached on my first go but with a sliver of health, so I had to do the second half of the boss without taking a hit.

What? On what version/difficulty? Everytime I've checkpointed (360, Normal) I've respawns with 50% health, regardless of what I had when I checkpointed.

Ok, well perhaps my little rant was dumped in this thread without much context. I didn't read exactly what was happening and I ranted as soon as I read a recommendation to switch down to 'easy mode'.

My frustration shouldn't really be directed at anyone specific on this particular game even, I can just blatantly see the direction that the evolution of video-games is taking. People are less inclined to really get their teeth into a game..make an effort and see past a few short comings or moments that might not be to an individuals taste. It's all become so sterile and homogenised.

Much like the knee-jerk reaction to the Dead Rising save system. Some people have clichéd expectations, such conservative thought with no inclination to consider why a feature is a particular way.

Anyways, This Castlevania game has been excellent so far.

I don't see this decline myself.

Plenty of games today have a good mix of; Hard, Extra-Hard, Uber-Deth-Mental-Hard modes, plus most have additional challenges and shit to go for. Both GoW 3, Bayonetta, Metroid: Other M are all good examples of this, perfectly playable on Normal, but with bags of stuff for the nutters that want do everything and devote all their hours to a game.

The two can co-exist with a tiny bit of work on the part of the developer

Is this the same Laine that just told me on twitter, you want to buy the game after playing the demo!? :wacko:

When did I say I wanted to buy it seriously? I wanted it for Patrick Stewart! :P

My problem with the demo is that it's super short and a bit dull. I kill some wolves, then ride a horse a bit, kill some wolves. It's pretty at the end though. And i've never really played Castlevania, apart from about an hour of SotN.

The issue (if there even is an issue here) is simple - there are many different types of gamer, each with different amounts of gaming time and each wanting something different from their games.

Time for me is a crucial factor, I have limited gaming time due to real life commitments, should be punished for this? should I be excluded from playing games I want to play and enjoy due to this? Sure when I was in my late teens and early twenties and lived on my own, I could put the many hours in needs to learn all the attack patterns, all the combos, repeat sections over & over. Times change, I've changed - and I want enjoyment & fun from my games now, not rote learning and drudgery.

Can't say I like this attitude at all and it's something I find problematic with mid-to-large releases in general, like some vanilla-ising of every game, popcharts-ing them up, making them as palatable to as many tastes as possible. It sounds like a case of entitlement, saying that all games should cater for all playstyles and lifestyles. Balls to that. Let devs make what they want, let them put their time into creating the game they had a vision of, let quality niche games exist.

(Speaking generally here, not specifically to Joyrex), it's not a case of 'should you be excluded'. It's a case of that not every single game should pander to your wants, that not every title will benefit from having time and money put into a dedicated You Mode.