Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

For those who care if u go into extras in the game menu u can turn on health bars and exp gain so theres numbers flying all over the screen, love it!

I did that, I prefer it. You also get an early warning of incoming mobs as their health bars appear over the top over of everything :P

Just finished it and it's utterly brilliant. Interesting ending (which I won't put up as a spoiler unless someone wants it, but I'm far from done with it. Time to get 110% on each level. This could be the first game I platinum since Dead Space.

Bravo Konami, bravo Mercurysteam and bravo me for finishing it ;)

Bloody hell that was quick. I been trying every trial on each level as I progress on normal. I wonder if you have to redo the trials on harder difficulties or not. I didnt notice when I did the village on hard as the villagers didnt die. Upto the mountain tower level atm, on the boss.

Throwing the eggs back seemed to only lose it a tiny sliver of health, and the other eggs always land and hatch the annoying enemies that kill me sooner or later. I gave up and went to bed. Late I should add. Or early. Not many games have made me want to keep playing like that of late, think Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age were the last ones. I did manage the Ogre without being hit mind, but it was pretty damn frustrating :lol:

Right I think at this early stage (Chapter 2) Hard is probably not best to start now what with the low amount of energy that I have. I'll gather some more gems and see how I go

I considered starting on hard (Like a challenge ;)) but up to Chapter 6, and I'm INCREDIBLY glad I didn't.

So I just got the save corrupt error apparently pretty common with this game. I was only at the first Titan but I'm not sure I'll play it again now - shame, it seemed promising but no piece of software which ships with such an issue and doesn't have a day one patch available is a 1/10 title at best and probably not worthy of my time, lest it occurs again.

Trade for a superior offering tomorrow, I suppose.

Started this today. A bit good, innit? Am up to chapter 2-5, fucking loving it :wub: ace adventurey vibe, staggering visuals, stupidly slick presentation, satisfying enemy pwnage and a nostalgia that invokes memories of Super Castle IV - which is the one thing I wanted. :D

Can't remember what difficulty I put it on, but the giant spiders are a pain in the ass. Speaking of spiders, my missus just saw one crawl across the worktop in the kitchen and barged into me whilst I was holding a knife. Luckily I heroically moved the pointy end away from her. Unluckily it ended up sticking in my stomach! Only superficial, but I should probably wash it before I continue chopping things!

I've heard of this save corrupt problem. So the first thing I'll do when I head back on later is backup my save.

I'll be doing that now too, sad that someone has to suffer with it for others to be able to take the precaution to stop it happening to them though :(

I considered starting on hard (Like a challenge ;)) but up to Chapter 6, and I'm INCREDIBLY glad I didn't.

Yeah, I just kept dying and dying. Your life doesn't refill after each level so you're constantly worried about looking for health. Went as far as I could before simply getting frustrated with it and I don't want this to happen at such an early stage

Oh and how do you back up saves on the PS3? :unsure:

A quick tinterwebs search suggests it's a PS3 only problem

Well, the 360 version can apparently get the message, but the save usually survives intact in spite of that. Anyway...as furious as I was I'm already trying to play it again because it's incredibly compelling. Just a shame such a bug is present...anything involving save data being picked off is just shameful, I think..it should be something that is rock solid, a top priority..

If if hits me again, I'm not sure how much game there will be left for me to trade. ;).

Just finished chapter 1 and thought it was pretty good. I have a feeling the openess is going to annoy my 'must check every corner' nature and not allow me to get on with the game proper. It's certainly stunning to look at isn't it?

I slipped up at the first boss as I think I missed a prompt to use direction + A to dodge, instead of the standard direction + LT, so got thrown off a fair few times before figuring it out.

With this and Enslaved its turning out to be my best gaming weekend since ME2 came out, and i'd imagine they'll both me in my top 5's come the end of the year :)

I've heard it suggested that the save issue may occur if you quit when the game is saving a checkpoint (which it often does invisibly) so I'm trying to only do so when I die or after saving at the end of a level, perhaps that will make a difference...Perhaps it's a piece of ill-considered and, well, knuckleheaded design rather than a bug. Needs fixing, either way.

Anyway, I'm on chapter two and apart from that foible, this is pretty sparkling stuff so far - I dare say I'm on course to prefer it to God Of War if, for nothing else, that it's a bit classier and less overtly sensationalist.

Well If that's the case more fool those. Cos it's a giant glowing circle on the screen.

I know there's the circle and I wouldn't be stupid enough to turn off at that point but I'm pretty sure it doesn't appear at every checkpoint - They're very frequent and I know I've died and reappeared long after the last circle.

I finished it earlier. Absolutely fucking brilliant; fantastic end and a superb post-credits scene!

One thing, though ... please tell me I'm not the only one who sees Sean Connery from Highlander every time Zobek is on screen? :unsure:

Hah! I thought Connery as soon as I saw him...

This corrupt save business, is it something that can be easily avoided by, say, exiting to the title screen before turning the game off? That's been my standard practise for many years, I'm just wondering if it's enough.

I don't think there is a way to do that (get all the way back to the title screen), is there? I recall just pausing and quitting out of the game in my last play before the corruption. Now I'm either quitting on the map before the start of a level or if I must quit mid-level, I'll stand still in a place for a good few seconds prior to exiting.

And now a question from me, to anyone playing this on PS3:

Do you find that it makes the disc drive run pretty loudly at times? It really ramps up at certain points for me, sometimes at pretty uneventful points while running quietly in scenes to the contrary.

Nope not really I get the occasional fans kicking in then it's AQOTWF.

Then again I'm also playing it with the lossless amp on and the dts track tends to overpower any ambient noise in the near vicinity. In fact if I turned the amp up to max I'm pretty sure the neighbours would be ringing van helsing cos there appears to be some kind of wolf living in 143 ;)

Does anyone know how to kill Skeletons without breaking their shield? Its needed for the sewers trial, but theyre also annoyingly hard to kill anyway so would be handy to know. Can they be killed instantly with some move or secondary weapon maybe? Theyre a pain in the arse to fight when theres lots of them, the bit in the sewers was quite tough as I got stuck in an alcove and all three of them stopped me rolling out. Only just managed to survive that bit.

Edit: Figured it out. Holy Cross ftw.