Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

It's weird; but it does sorta feel like a trad Castlevania, maybe it's just the self contained levels and the map between stages.

I wanna see the cast of Castlevania classic monsters tho: Axe Knight, Medusa Head, Azaghal, Bone Archer, Bone Pillar, Blood Skeleton, Corpseweed, Flea Man, Shades, Marionettes, Succubus, Gorgons, Mermen, Skull Lord, Orobourous, etc. etc.

Maybe they come later. :mellow:

question for level 2-3

Labyrinth Entrance

i have beaten the greater lycanthrope but can't put the stake/lever into the back of the device in order to open the door. all the buttons i'm pressing are either not doing anything, or dropping the item.

help!

awesome, awesome game btw. reckon it'll be a tossup between this and bayonetta for my goty. suspect that vania may tip the scales later in the adventure.

edit: come to think of it, i got bayonetta last year as i got the jp version...

Sat down to start playing this at about 9 last night, next thing I knew it was 1 o'clock, enjoyable stuff. Looks stunning and love some of the moster designs, the little flying red devil things are cute. Couple of frustrating moments falling off stuff to my death but the respawn placement is very forgiving.

Wandered into this thread by accident last night, having meant to click something else. Not played a castlevania game since the woeful 64 version and didn't even know this was in development, let alone released. I read through the last few pages in here and my interest was piqued - so I watched a couple of vids on YouTube.

I'm now walking back from Asda, copy in hand ^_^

question for level 2-3

Labyrinth Entrance

i have beaten the greater lycanthrope but can't put the stake/lever into the back of the device in order to open the door. all the buttons i'm pressing are either not doing anything, or dropping the item.

help!

awesome, awesome game btw. reckon it'll be a tossup between this and bayonetta for my goty. suspect that vania may tip the scales later in the adventure.

edit: come to think of it, i got bayonetta last year as i got the jp version...

You don't put it in the door - there's a pedestal in front of it you combine the stake with to make a twist switch

In 5-2

How do I move the statue closer the hole?

It's picked up loads - combats gelling, settings are more..."Castlevania" - although still uber pretty.

Frame rate seems better too.

When did people start back tracking? Given the trouble the first LoS gave me, I'm guessing I either missed some stuff or should have backtracked for more goodies

Love this, loving this, loving this! :D

All my worries disappeared within 5 minutes of play. Most bothersome from what I have heard has been the frame rate but it really, really isn't that troublesome. Reading GAF and hearing people say they won't be picking up the game because of it really need to sort their lives out. Been playing this on PS3, could be it be smoother? Sure. Does it affect the game, (at this stage anyway) not in the slightest. Finished the first chapter and it has been an absolute joy. Epic music, varied environments, beautiful artwork, solid combat, it borrows a lot from other games but when it does it so well I have no worries about this

Speaking of combat, picking up a Ninja Gaiden vibe to the whole thing. Playing this on hard, it's all about the dodge an move. Go in for a quick flurry of attacks, dive out the way, move in for the kill. Even at this early stage and tackling the trials, it's a great feeling building up your stats and coming back to earlier in the game and being a total badass

Seeing as the early stages of the game are supposedly the worst part of the game, what lies ahead will probably knock me for six

Oh man, the castle itself is fucking amazing. I've just come across what I feel to be the first 'missed opportunity' for some awesome and cinematic combat that could also have been a tribute to the 2D games of old.

I know. That's when the Castlevania vibe really kicks in. On stage 12 now.

I love the pencilled artwork for the travel book, right down to the animation for the moves you unlock :wub:

That is such a great touch isn't it :wub: Normally, I would quickly glance over these and never comeback but it's a joy to see them once you have unlocked a new move. Even the book showing all the characters you have met, it's just a wonderful package

Just finished it and it's utterly brilliant. Interesting ending (which I won't put up as a spoiler unless someone wants it, but I'm far from done with it. Time to get 110% on each level. This could be the first game I platinum since Dead Space.

Bravo Konami, bravo Mercurysteam and bravo me for finishing it ;)

Up to 5-7 and it's all gelled. Combat is flowing nicely, I did 5-6 without any deaths or serious trouble. Made me feel proper bad ass :ph34r:

Strider - did you back track for gear/upgrades etc? I want to power ahead, but if I'll need more life/magic wont bother for a bit.

Has anyone found an "killer" combos yet? I'm finding the Gilotine (Hold X in the Air, base X when landed) does nice damage and gets your focus up fast.