Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

What idiot thought it was a good idea to give a boss a shockwave attack that is almost impossible to dodge. I swear I have died to this boss 25 times just because of that one stupid attack.

Jump over it to dodge the shockwave.

I was expecting the whole thing to be a slideshow based on the wailing of the last week. I haven't noticed a fucking thing - it's absolutely fine. If it does drop a few frames, take into account how incredibly hard these people must have worked on making it look so fantastic.

The drama was rather amusing considering the game runs and plays fine on the 360 .If I wanted to pick holes I could (let's face it, the game isn't perfect) but it's graphics and a tedious "discussion" of it's framerate isn't an area I'd pick on

And yeah it looks incredible in places, I'm early on

Just met Pan

But there's some staggeringly beautiful parts on that level, it's kinda a shame just to run past it all :P

And one of the artworks you unlock, of Gabriel going over the bridge on the horse. I have to get hold of that for my PC wallpaper.

Just finished Chapter 4, fantastic from start to finish. Now how the hell do I tear down the walls at the start of Chapter 5? I've got so many attacks and combos, I've forgotten half already. :)

Glad to know it wasn't just me :lol:

This game looks gorgeous. Some fantastic sceneries. It truly is God of Uncharted War 3: Belmont's Fortune.

Just one question: apart from the name Belmont I have yet to encounter any reference to Castlevania. Dare I say the name is merely a marketing move?

This game looks gorgeous. Some fantastic sceneries. It truly is God of Uncharted War 3: Belmont's Fortune.

Just one question: apart from the name Belmont I have yet to encounter any reference to Castlevania. Dare I say the name is merely a marketing move?

I believe that it started life as just plain Lords of Shadow.

I believe that it started life as just plain Lords of Shadow.

Aha, so the same 'trick' they pulled on Silent Hill 4: The Room. Originally it was a new IP named The Room. It resembled Silent Hill too much (according to Konami, so it is probably half the truth) and it was turned into a Silent Hill game.

There were two Castlevania games in development. Japan were working on one, Mercurysteam was working on the other. It was all a big secret, which is why this initally appeared at E3 as Lords of Shadow. Konami of Japan apparently didnlt like the direction of their home-grown game, so the rest of the development was ploughed into this. It was always going to be a Castlevania game.

Loads of the enemies are all from previous castlevania games, many of the bosses are as well. There's no denying that it takes from other games, but there are plenty of referencesto the franchise. It's a reboot and a damned good one at that. The later you get into it, the more Castlevaniaery it gets.

Am liking this too, although I would say (only a spoiler for those who have not got to Chapter 4 yet)

That guy at the end of chapter 3, Cornell, is bastard hard for that point of the game. Not surprised someone else got a bit stuck with him - only way I made it through in the end was getting lucky on the second stage of him where he didn't use many of his shockwave attacks for some reason or other.

Midway through the fifth chapter right now and enjoying it. Working through on the third difficulty setting which is kicking my arse somewhat, but it's mostly very rewarding. Story is picking up nicely too.

Is it me or does Begbie Belmont have an incredibly small head. He looks like Beetlejuice at the end of the film.

It's not just you - the wife made the same observation and I can't unsee it now. He's got the thickest neck in Christendom by comparison.

Also, whoever's doing the voice acting for Chupacabras - and aren't those bits just joyous? - is awful compared to the rest of the cast.

Strider's right about it getting more recognisably Castlevania as you move onto Disc 2. Starting to think an 8 would be a reasonable mark.

I've barely bought any new moves other than the heavy combo & upgrades, and its Y button equivalent. Spamming those can get you through most tricky battles if you are having trouble.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the meter thing increasing as you land more hits. It's fucking annoying building that up to the point where it's almost full, then getting whacked off-screen by an enemy that's hidden somewhere the camera can't reach.

This is apparently a reboot of the series, and doesnt take place in the original Castlevania timeline storywise. Dunno if that means we wont ever see Alucard, etc again though.

Edit: Strider more or less said it above :facepalm:

It's quite hard init? And I'm only on Chapter 2 :P

I'll drop it down to Squire if it pisses me off too much, which will probably be about Chapter 4. My gaming time is too limited to be worrying about 'being teh hardcore' and playing through on the toughest settings.

I'm having trouble keeping the focus meter filled. I suppose it'll come with practice.

Me too, I'd gone back and played the bog level to hunt for gems, fighting the goblins I'd fill it easy, then one of their 4 pixel high, nearly invisible grenades would hit me from nowhere, and blamo.

Actually that is a niggle - it feels a bit too zoomed out a lot of the time, and could they get font for the number of daggers on your HUD any smaller? I think that's a 3pt font. :hmm: (and yes I'm playing in HD on a 40" TV)