Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

Yeah I noticed that pretty much as soon as that level started. It's smooth as hell compared to the previous levels.

Oh, and those sword enemies can piss off :hmm:

It's got nothing to do with video settings. It's very noticeable if you're used to playing games with high fps. This and Bayonetta are like night and day.

Not even high fps, but a solid fps. God of War III and Bayonetta are solid(well not the cut scenes on GOWIII)but the game play is. I honestly don't believe people think the fps is acceptable, judging from the opening four sections alone.

Anyway, wish me luck guys, I'm going back in

15x2yqd.gif

I've played loads of games with and without high fps etc and I cant say I've noticed. I only ever notice things like that when things get really jerky in games tbh.

At the Pan puzzle level atm, and did the trial after a few attempts. Still dunno where that life gem is though :huh:

It's got nothing to do with video settings.

Performance drops on the 360 can occur if your console is set to a higher resolution that 1280x720, or 720p. It's all a question of budget, if the console is given the task to scale the image to a high res, it can drop frames.

It's game specific, sometimes there is no difference in performance, other games there is a slight drop. Then you have stuff like RE5 or Dead Rising which will disengage v-sync and continually tear frames.

It's generally best to just set your 360 to 720p or 1280x720, regardless of the resolution of you monitor.

Having some 100Hz mode turned on, on your TV can also cause all sorts of wierdness.

It's got nothing to do with video settings. It's very noticeable if you're used to playing games with high fps. This and Bayonetta are like night and day.

Even the PS3 version of Bayonetta has a better framerate than this... :(

Finished the first chapter and first few stages of the second chapter. Very impressed as well and really enjoying what I've been playing. Locales have been varied and combat is really starting to open up. You can just see even now that you really can't mash, you have to do a lot of blocking/countering/dodging even on normal. Be interesting to see how it goes on throughout the game. The only complaint I would have is that the framerate just isn't smooth enough, it doesn't bother me a lot but if they had've locked this at 30 frames per sec it would run so much smoother, it seems to be an unlocked framerate rather than one which is set. A bit more spit and polish would have been nice though maybe they are just really pushing what they can do on the hardware, especially with those graphics. Still, I'm loving it and having a great time so far :)

Did the 1st level on the hard setting (knight) and the warg wasnt too tough, though I had gained a load of combos etc. The tricky part was after you beat him and you do the QTE. The sneaky bugger waits on top of the rock and doesnt leap right away, sometimes even climbing back down if you pick up the log too early forcing you to beat him up again. The key is to watch his eyes; they glow bright red just as he's gonna leap, so be quick with the RT.

Really struggled with finishing off that bog troll with the QTEs - it seems you have to press a button just as the 2 circles collapse into one and no earlier or later - don't know why that wasn't covered in a tutorial with a great big sign "press button now".

Also that titan boss - ugh - got there in the end but *whispers* only by turning the difficulty level right down.

The missing gem near the Pan puzzle is on a body on a side path close to the body containing the scroll - not at all obvious to spot - go right rather than back into your screen.

Two things which are mightily vexing me in the game - and I might be wrong about them but we'll see - are combat related.

Firstly the dodge roll. Now in games like DMC (and Darksiders which I've been playing recently) when you roll you are, at the time, completely immune to damage. In this I'm trying to roll all over the place to keep my combos up but I just keep getting thrashed all the time.

Secondly when laying into an enemy he seems to be entirely capable of just attacking back before I've finished. They don't do any obvious counter or give much warning that it's about to happen, they just lash out while you're in the middle of trying to look cool.

One rather disturbing realisation that I had was that I think this is the first Konami game I've bought this generation :blink:

Yeah, it's a bit annoying. Levels have multiple paths (normally you end up in the same place), but some..hints...would be nice.

This really. It doesn't help that it never tells you which direction your objective is in so knowing which path you're meant to take and which on just leads back in a circle.

Really struggled with finishing off that bog troll with the QTEs - it seems you have to press a button just as the 2 circles collapse into one and no earlier or later - don't know why that wasn't covered in a tutorial with a great big sign "press button now".

It does on the very first boss when the peasants are being attacked in the village! That werewolf thing.

One thing I'll say for the game.

If you die, it's very forgiving. Fall off a platform and you near instantly respawn losing a sliver of health. Checkpoints are numerous and if you have to restart a checkpoint you always start at half health (even if you hit the check point with next to no life left)

What you all on about just beat the troll after exploring the bog and in the next area. Christ this has some impressive graphics and the music. I don't know if it's the dts soundtrack but it's pretty epic.

Funnily enough the music a little bit later on reminds me of that used in Two Worlds - a sort of staccato STAB ..........STAB STAB STAB with horns. Not many people will think this.

I know I must get out more.

It was. The first one of those you get in the opening level is super-slow and tells you to wait until the circles are overlapping.

What it doesn't tell you is that you can be pretty much as late as you want when pressing the button (as long as the shrinking circle is inside the larger one), but if you're even a fraction of a second too early, you'll fail it.

Bunch of whining bitches up in here. Framerate? Pfft! Halfway through Chapter 4, I'm digging the hell out of this. Tons of epic moments so far. I had a good feeling about this after watching the previews, but so far, it's surpassed expectations.

Pretty much sums up my time on CH1. I'd probably be inclined to give up making games if I was one of the guys who produced this - staggeringly beautiful,varied, accessible, nicely balanced challenge (warrior) and you have everyone commenting on how the framerate has destroyed civilisation as we know it. I was expecting the whole thing to be a slideshow based on the wailing of the last week. I haven't noticed a fucking thing - it's absolutely fine. If it does drop a few frames, take into account how incredibly hard these people must have worked on making it look so fantastic.

If these are the 'boring' bits - bring the rest on. Superb stuff.

If anyone is looking to pick this up today, Argos seem to be doing it for £32.99. Didn't think that was too bad price-wise. They've got copies in store at any rate and you can reserve them online.

Proper looking forward to this :)

---

S0L

---

If anyone is looking to pick this up today, Argos seem to be doing it for £32.99. Didn't think that was too bad price-wise. They've got copies in store at any rate and you can reserve them online.

Thanks for that, reserved one at my local :)

I'm so in love with this game. I want to marry it and have babies. It's everything I want from a Castlevania title, short of a 2D sequel to symphony which will never happen.

Just to the the start of level 10 and it's getting absolutely epic. So much to do, so much to see. The puzzles are also cranking up. I just did an entire level set in

a puzzle box consisting of loads of traps. It also plays the music from the clock tower levels as well

This is game of the year for me. It's not better than Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I'm such a slut for Castlevania and I'm so pleased with how this has turned out.

What idiot thought it was a good idea to give a boss a shockwave attack that is almost impossible to dodge. I swear I have died to this boss 25 times just because of that one stupid attack.

What boss is that. I've found all of them to be a piece of piss (only playing on normal mode though). They all have tell tale signs you can see coming from another country away.

What boss is that. I've found all of them to be a piece of piss (only playing on normal mode though). They all have tell tale signs you can see coming from another country away.

Cornell, the big fella with the mace

. I figured out his pattern after two deaths (dodge attack, dodge, attack) but his shockwave always caught me. If I saw it coming and jumped I landed right in it. Very frustrating. Got him now though.