Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Willei

I'm getting negged for having a shit internet connection? Amazing.

I saw that and thought the same - went to +1 you and hit the neg instead.

+1'd one of your posts in the New Vegas thread to bring balance to the force, mind.

Got it this morning and played it at lunch; really enjoyed it so far! Just got the first proper upgrade thingy and traversed a fun little fallen ruins section. Looking forward to putting some more hours in later on.

The atmosphere's great - really dark and brooding.

Installed it (360) but disc 1 only boots for the first half of the game and the second disc is needed for everything post chapter 5. It's a pain, especially when you unlock shit on disc 2 that you need in order to access certain parts of disc 1.

Cunting 360 and its non blu-ray compatibility!! :rolleyes:

Well I guess this sorts out which version I'm going for.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-face-off?page=2

In terms of the impact on the gameplay experience, the two-disc setup is a touch intrusive but nothing that is going to overtly affect your enjoyment of Lords of Shadow. The game has 12 chapters in all - five on disc one, seven on disc two - and the change-over point is seamless enough; you swap discs and the game doesn't bother you again. However, part of the game's charm is that the powers you unlock in later sections of the game allow you to access areas of earlier levels, adding a lot to the replay factor. You can even go back whenever you want and continue the main quest at a later date.

Now you might think that having both discs installed to HDD would allow for no swapping at all, but that wasn't the case when we reached chapter six, and it wasn't the case when we immediately went back to the previous level. In both cases the disc needed to be inserted even though we had all the data immediately to hand on the HDD.

Perhaps it's an issue with the review code we had (highly unlikely), but it seems to be that the 360 itself is doing a hardware check before it allows you to access the data. Certainly, once the disk has been inserted the game continues to run from HDD as per normal. It's not exactly a game-breaker but it is a bit strange. Both discs can be booted to run the code, so perhaps Konami didn't want friends going halves on buying the game?

I'm still undecided about ordering this, it certainly looks lovely from everything i've seen today.

Does it follow a similar progression to GoW? Fairly linear paths, combat, boss fight, story section etc? If so it sounds right up my street.

This game has me really confused. The demo was shite, but the reviews and impressions here from people who've played the game are pretty universally positive.

Would someone mind just highlighting how the proper game differs/improves on what's apparent in the demo? What you get in the demo is an uninspiring arena fight against some werewolves with little to do, and a lame mounted chase section against some wargs, for reference.

The further you get into the game the better it gets. Structurally it's very similar to GOW, the combat is surprisingly deep and the puzzles really start kicking in once you get to the castle. The bosses are great, QTE is well used and it's a million times better than the sorry excuse that is the demo.

I'm slightly confused, didn't the devs claim you could install disc two and play the entire game without having to change discs. :huh:

Anyway, still looking forward to this but won't be picking it up tomorrow. I've (probably rather stupidly) decided to wait for the Collector's Edition.

The further you get into the game the better it gets. Structurally it's very similar to GOW, the combat is surprisingly deep and the puzzles really start kicking in once you get to the castle. The bosses are great, QTE is well used and it's a million times better than the sorry excuse that is the demo.

Does the camera improve? It was particularly awful on the second Titan, I thought, but it's been hit and miss in other areas, too.

Still not reached the stage where I'm thinking 9/10 or even 8. It's a solid 7 for me, but no more. Still a long way to go, mind - I've not hit disc 2 yet. But it's telling that I can't wait to get back to Vanquish and I feel like I just don't feel the same way about this. Yet.

I can only ever see this being the case.

Otherwise what's to stop you and me both installing the game, and you keeping disc 1 and me keeping disc 2, and us both playing the full game (concurrently) with only 1 disc?

I can only ever see this being the case.

Otherwise what's to stop you and me both installing the game, and you keeping disc 1 and me keeping disc 2, and us both playing the full game (concurrently) with only 1 disc?

I don't mind swapping discs, it's just that in this particular case the implementation sounds incredibly clumsy. Mass Effect 2 did the whole open world on multiple discs thing and it was fine, but this sounds like if you decide you want to do some off-mission exploration you might end up getting up and down every 5 minutes to swaps DVDs.

It's particularly aggrieving in this case as, according to the Eurogamer comparison, the actual game itself is 4gb, the other 8gb is poorly compressed FMV.

Does the camera improve? It was particularly awful on the second Titan, I thought, but it's been hit and miss in other areas, too.

Still not reached the stage where I'm thinking 9/10 or even 8. It's a solid 7 for me, but no more. Still a long way to go, mind - I've not hit disc 2 yet. But it's telling that I can't wait to get back to Vanquish and I feel like I just don't feel the same way about this. Yet.

Hard to say mate, as I've not had any issues at all. The camera does go a little silly on that titan, but I ran far back and it soon righted. It's a solid 9 for me. Just had a tussle with one of doctor frankenstein's monsters. Great stuff.

Only just started playing this, and doing the village trial. How do you get 100%? Keep all the villagers alive? I got 92% with keeping 2 alive, 1 got hit by the wargs unblockable attack I think :facepalm:

I just saw the world map. Christ, I can see me playing this for a while :wub:

Only just started playing this, and doing the village trial. How do you get 100%? Keep all the villagers alive? I got 92% with keeping 2 alive, 1 got hit by the wargs unblockable attack I think :facepalm:

I just saw the world map. Christ, I can see me playing this for a while :wub:

well each level actually has a 110 percent to complete. The first trial only requires you to keep one villager alive. I'm betting completing it on each difficulty goes towards the overall percentage as well. Basically there's a ridiculous amount of replay value in it.