Uzi

Shadow Complex Aug 19th 1200 points

The intro to that, confirmed awesome

Nintendo, are you watching? Shadow Complex is Super Metroid for the current-generation. That's it. That's really all you should need to make this a day-one purchase because, in case you didn't know, Super Metroid is (still) awesome.

This and Trials in such a short time. Splosion Man before it too. XBLA is fucking amazing, my fave download service by FAR despite some of the gems on PSN

Some of my favourite Xbox 360 games are on XBLA. So many great titles (Geometry Wars RE2, the Mutant Storm games, Trials HD, and I haven't even properly played Braid yet) and more to come. I really love this generation for reviving the genre of cheap, more immediate but hugely addictive games next to the blockbuster extravaganzas that come on disc.

At the surface level, this is a pure action game: choke out guards with the B-button, leap electric fences with the A-button, Rambo your way up staircases of enemies with a squeeze of the triggers. But like those titles it so carefully apes, it's also a cartography game, challenging players to map every corner and crevice of the base in search of that 100 per cent badge of completion. Locked doors and obstacles hinder access to the base. But rather than asking you to locate keys to unlock these areas, you must instead find the power-ups that allow Fleming to overcome each type of blockage. Until you pick up the missile attachment for your gun, for example, every area closed off by an object that can only be destroyed by missiles remains off-limits. Shine your flashlight on an object and it'll glow the colour of the power-up needed to destroy it: orange for bullets, green for grenades, purple for foam and so on. Until you have the relevant power-up, all instances of that object will be impassable, allowing the designers to carefully drip-feed access to the sprawling complex.

:blink:

One to get. My only issue is, from the vids I've seen, the 'depth' looks a bit offputting. We shall see.

Day 1 man...

although the reviewer seems to miss the fact that Metroids Zero Mission and Fusion exist (and are amazing).

Really want a game like this though - and I don't really get on with Castlevania games tbh

Day 1 man...

although the reviewer seems to miss the fact that Metroids Zero Mission and Fusion exist (and are amazing).

Really want a game like this though - and I don't really get on with Castlevania games tbh

Yeah same here. Castlevania has gone stale on me. I really enjoyed some of the games in the series, but there's just too many of them and they're all the same. My main problem with Castlevania is that the whole Goth Horror Castle thing has been done to absolute death and there's hardly ever anything interesting to explore or an interesting story to unravel.

Now Metroid has varied environments and entertaining stories, and I prefer the sci-fi setting and weaponry over the whips and axes. Therefore this game also looks very interesting with all the powerups and military stuff. I'd still love a 2D/2.5D Metroid game on the DS though.

Yeap... There's only so much jumping about castles and sewers you can do. I also think the castlevania games complicate things too much.

Eurogamer review does say that shadow complex environments don't change much.

Gah, that Giant Bomb review pisses me off!!!

What's wrong with portable Metroidvania games? :D

I think you misunderstood what he's saying:

Shadow Complex is an incredibly well-made game that finally grabs the "Metroidvania" subgenre and drags it into the modern era instead of relegating it to a land of remakes or portable games.

He's not saying there's anything wrong with portable Metroidvania games, just that it's a shame the genre never got the chance to evolve beyond the standard that could be handled by SNES/PS1 hardware. I fully agree. It's amazing to see what they can do with traditional 2D game genres on powerful systems like the Xbox 360 (as demonstrated by games like Trials HD, Braid and other XBLA classics). The portable Metroidvania games are lovely games, but they're essentially running on 10 year old tech and therefore limited.

Anyway, I like the genre and reviews are good so I'll be buying this.

I think you misunderstood what he's saying:

He's not saying there's anything wrong with portable Metroidvania games, just that it's a shame the genre never got the chance to evolve beyond the standard that could be handled by SNES/PS1 hardware. I fully agree. It's amazing to see what they can do with traditional 2D game genres on powerful systems like the Xbox 360 (as demonstrated by games like Trials HD, Braid and other XBLA classics). The portable Metroidvania games are lovely games, but they're essentially running on 10 year old tech and therefore limited.

Anyway, I like the genre and reviews are good so I'll be buying this.

From what i'm reading, the difference in power doesn't make to much of a change. Just like it didn't make to much of a change in stuff like Braid from what i've seen and played of it.

If you're speaking in graphical terms then i can get it but in terms of actual content or gameplay i don't really see where you can make a difference in something that is already limited due to it's 2D nature. Apart from shooting on the z-axis that is.

But i do agree on what he meant. It's just that i also disagree with that notion.

I'm sure Stoker Ace (at least) has played this having cross examined his GT

....i should have asked what it was like really, given he doesn't write here much. I'd ask now be he's probably playing Forza 3 or something.

Acutally....it might not have been this...I thought this was Operation : Shadow Complex.

Kotaku review conclusion

Shadow Complex has reset the bar for what we can expect from an Xbox Live Arcade title. It also happens to ranks among the best 2D Metroids and Castlevanias, thanks to its strong map and upgrade design. While outstanding graphically, it lacks in some of the visual and character charm offered by its forebears, partly because of its photorealistic near-future setting. There's also not much meat to the story—not like there ever really is in these games, but when yours is based on a series of books, it's worth flagging—or much all that appealing about Fleming himself.

But these negatives are the most minor of concerns. Shadow Complex is easily one of the best games I've played all year, appealing perfectly to my own Metroidvania collection addiction and priced well below the amount of carefully crafted content it offers. I can't emphasize just how much of a pleasure it was to play through this game and how earnestly I'm looking forward to returning to it.

I can't wait till tomorrow morning. Might play some SOTN on xbla or Super Metroid to get me warmed up

Any news at what time locally this will be released tonight ??

Not tonight, tomorrow. XBLA stuff never comes out at night our time