Uzi

Shadow Complex Aug 19th 1200 points

Searched and couldn't see a thread so thought I'd get the ball rolling. Delete if there is one and I've been an idiot

Anyway just watched this interview with Cliffy B and the some other dude

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-shadow-complex/50289

It looks pretty good!

Bionic Commando Rearmed graphics, a full castlevania style map with presumably new areas unlocked as you gain more abilities. Quoting Super Metroid as their main inspiration they're saying a first run through of the game will be around 10-14 hours. That's more than most retail games these days! They also stated like Metroid games you can find exploits and smart play to do super quick speedruns (will obviously be leaderboards and achievements for that).

I'm excited by such a full featured game coming on the service when you can expect most action/adventure games built up for it to be a couple of hours long. The lnfluences of Metroidvania are great- hopefully if this is received well it'll push other devs to bring out more tradtional games like Rearmed and this reimagined for services like XBLA/PSN/WW

This was the highlight of the MS conference for me, and it's supposed to come out this summer so i don't have to wait long :unsure:

Day 1 for sure. Looks like a great combo of Castlevania and Metroid gameplay. Looks really smooth too. Hopefully they have co-op in there too.

I agree, I don't think the art style fits the 2D perspective at all really. It's flat, uninspired and lacks the stylisation necessary to pull off the perspective. Great idea though, the map made it look immense ;)

btw. How good was the bit in the conference when his microphone started fading... fading... gone. :unsure:

.::: This is why E3 was already good. :) And then they added Other M!

I really hope they optimize this for stick controls; SotN with the 360 d-pad was a bit... rotten.

I admit that I'm not a fan of Metroid, Castlevania or BC:R, but I watched the trailer for this and thought it looked incredible, and (potentially) it's a fantastic advert for the service. Will certainly be looking to buy this - what odds for it being 1600 points though?

what odds for it being 1600 points though?

Fairly high

But reports are saying it's about 10-12 hours long, putting it up there with a lot of today's full price releases

Joystiq have a hands on report

The summary

Of course, I only played a small snippet of the game, and there's no telling how well the whole game will hold up and, yeah, it's a lot like Metroid. And I want more. Thankfully the wait shouldn't be too long

:)

This was one of the most impressive things shown, for me. Things like Arcade and PSN have always had great potential for delivering original games in "outdated" genres - rather than remakes* or conversions - and that's what makes stuff like this so exciting for me. I'm no fan of Metroid (I get stuck and don't know how to backtrack), but I'm hoping there's enough in the game to keep me distracted whilst I work out what I'm doing...

*though BC:R was awesome

It's part of the "Summer Of Arcade" - so erm, summer.

Yeah, i just wondered if there was a specific date.

I think last year's summer thing was July through August IIRC?

Be nice to have a Metroidy game to play. I actually find some of the backgrounds and 2.5d stuff to be overly-busy. Regular 2D would have sufficed for me.

Things like Arcade and PSN have always had great potential for delivering original games in "outdated" genres - rather than remakes* or conversions - and that's what makes stuff like this so exciting for me.

Absolutely.

There's a hint from Epic that this won't be cheap (as reported by Joystiq - i.e. >$20. If true, that could be missing a real-trick, and also potentially setting a dangerous pricing precident for XBLA titles.

I don't think so. 20 dollars is around 1600 points (around 13-14 pounds) which is what I expected and it's fair for something that has a good 10 hourish first playthrough time.

Stuff like Wanted came out recently and that's about 4 hours long- even discounted you'll find that at around 20 pounds. I think Uncharted took me less than 10 hours to finish too.

If it's being given the same care and attention as a full game, then 20 dollars is fine. A bargain actually if it's as good as they say it will be. I'm happy to pay that same price for other games of similar length and quality too.

also - CliffyB has always been a big Nintendo fan - I imagine he'll do the Super Metroid influence justice. Reminds me a bit of Flashback with more action.