rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Glamouring is pretty good fun and HW seems to have added a lot of better looking gear. My crafters have a really nice set at 52 that I will definitely turn into glamour when I upgrade it. The crafting gear in ARR looked shonky, as did the gathering stuff, its a major step up. Was going to do a bunch of gathering and work through the weaver 51-55 crafting and see what turns out. 

Am with you on the busy feeling. The Heavensward areas are virtually empty, Ishgard feels like a ghost town and I rarely see people in the wild, plus fates are not really viable. Although I enjoy the crafting and want to get on with it, I actually think I am just going to press on with MSQ and Beast Tribe stuff. I can come back to all the other bits when I am caught up. I'm also going to have less time as I start a new job next week. Been out of work for ages which has been depressing, but playing the game has helped a lot to get me through. 

Its the little extra bits that pop up as well. Was just doing some gathering, hit 52 and suddenly a new mechanic pops up, which adds another type of node in. Just all nicely drip fed to you to stop people getting bored.

I don’t have time. I could manage a few hours a week I guess - but feels like is that a waste? I’ll just muck about and no progress much or get the cool stuff. I’m also still scared of playing with mean randoms. -_-

Just now, Laine said:

I don’t have time. I could manage a few hours a week I guess - but feels like is that a waste? I’ll just muck about and no progress much or get the cool stuff. I’m also still scared of playing with mean randoms. -_-

I dread dungeons but I would say 9 times out of 10, people are great. Especially if you play your part without messing up and show that you have at least looked up the mechanics. But I do hate it when you get a nasty person in there, puts me in a bad mood for hours.

On time though, I get that. When I'm working I might struggle to play too much. But I don't mind paying the sub as I figure I get more than enough time from it to justify it for me. And what I like is that you don't have to get the latest stuff and there is a lot of ways to get smart gear and do fun things without being at the bleeding edge of the game. I spent 2 hours Chocobo racing at the weekend to be able to get some swanky boots for glamour with Saucer Points, and had a great time. My two sons had a go on some races as well. Being able to play all jobs on a single character is great as well. I basically view the game as a big playground where I can do what I want but there are loads of other people around me. It's a good escape.

Oof, finally I am max level in FFXIV after playing it for approximately a billion years. The end of Shadowbringers is exhausting and exhilarating, and the job they did of answering a lot of the questions from ARR is seriously impressive and satisfying. A lot of it was delightfully weird but they really managed to thread a strand of thoughtful grey through the main plotline.

• Upvote 1

Just did The Library from HW, am literally in a state after that. Wiped on the first boss, but a nice group who pointed out where 2 of us were going wrong. We then wiped on the last boss as we allowed too many adds to spawn, but did it second time .....just. Great dungeon design though with some fun bosses. Just tested my nerves a bit!

Been doing the Moogle Beast tribe quests each day and they are absolutely brilliant for levelling crafters, plus crafting has become a lot more logical in my eyes with the new changes. I was able to craft HQ stuff for the crafting job quests a lot easier than in ARR. They have removed some of the RNG so it makes it more about gear and making sure you use the right actions. 

Beast Tribe quests are a lot less of a pain in the arse now as well. in ARR they could take ages, in HW they are better, particularly the Vath and Moogle ones which they added 2nd and 3rd. The Vanu ones can take longer. You can do them in about 15 mins and they sync to your job level as well which is great. Getting closer to my Cloud Mallow mount.........

I'm now at level 58 and am up to date on the Dragoon quests, but the last two skills I unlocked I've no idea how to use in rotation and I don't have space on my cross/hot bar for them either, anyone got any suggestions on the best place to go for setup and rotation advice?

On 26/11/2019 at 22:42, wev said:

I'm now at level 58 and am up to date on the Dragoon quests, but the last two skills I unlocked I've no idea how to use in rotation and I don't have space on my cross/hot bar for them either, anyone got any suggestions on the best place to go for setup and rotation advice?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ua5uewclVNvIaVJ44eX3F3-y3QLKcn2z8R8d9Vvj5B0/edit

That's a lv80 guide so is really for endgame and raiding rotations but the principles and mechanics of the job are all there. It also has a guide to setting up your hotbar optimally.

The Balance discord should always be your first port of call for queries of this nature as each channel has people who are experts at their respective jobs and will be happy to answer any questions you may have, even if you're still a lower level.

https://discordapp.com/invite/thebalanceffxiv

edit: also just found the following reddit comment by the writer of that guide in response to someone asking about lv60 dragoon rotation:

True Thrust - Disembowel - Chaos Thrust - Wheeling Thrust

True Thrust - Vorpal Thrust - Full Thrust - Fang and Claw

Those are your two combos and you just sorta alternate back and forth. Use Blood of the Dragon to buff Jump and Spineshatter, Dragonfire is great for trash, Geirskogul can only be used under Blood of the Dragon and is basically just an extra damaging skill.

That's the long and short of it. Buffs are used whenever and just punch stuff until it dies. Try and keep the Disembowel buff flowing since it's damage gain.

Hopefully a combination of all the above will provide you with the answers you're looking for. :)

• Upvote 1

Well thats Heavensward done! Had great groups for the last 2 instances, was with people who had done them before and we burned through them both really quickly.Loved all the story leading up to it, but the ending seemed a little flat, but it was obvious that they didn't want to go with the cut scene heavy instances this time. I can imagine that the final trial was brilliant fun when it was released, I reckon the whole thing only took us about 3 minutes with the group I had being massively overgeared.

So onto the quests that will take me up to Stormblood. Already picked up the Hildibrand quest, looking forward to more of that. Unlike @wev I've actually got spaces on my crossbar at the moment as I'm summoner and have set pet actions to another easily accessible hotbar. I suspect managing when to do what will get tougher a bit now, the only thing I really have to monitor is Trance and Deathflare at the moment, so looking forward to seeing what comes next. Playing Red Mage for a bit has made me realise how vastly different the job play styles are. 

Need to have a look and see what else needs unlocking now at 60, I've picked up the quests with +notation in Ishgard, I think there are some in Idyllshire too. My level is only at about 40% of the way to 62, so I hopefully will get to Stormblood before I am overleveled. 

@pinholestar

Thanks, Ill take a gander at those today, everything I searched wasnt up to date as the first patch post Stormblood (or it may have been Stormblood) streamlined the rotation and alot of the skills people were talking about on the pages I was reading last night are long gone.

Spent two hours this evening on The Striking Tree (Extreme) with the same party of people from a variety of different servers, the Tanks were both excellent, offering tips etc for each person, one in particular was handing out really great advice and in between wipes they'd both offer loads of encouragement

So I've decided to take a break from the game, as life has changed a bit. I am now working full time on weird shifts so don't have anywhere near as much spare time as I did have, so am playing some other games in my limited time to catch up on stuff.

Once life has settled a bit I'll be back, with the intention of being up to speed as the next expansion launches, but it's really nice knowing I have a ton of content in a game I'm loving to play through waiting for me at any time. I may be back out of work briefly in Jan/Feb so will head back in then as my escape route from real life. Am missing it already, but am also enjoying playing some other stuff as well.

• Upvote 1

@Vorgot

Try and pop back on next week for an hour as the Starlight Celebration starts on the 18th, as ever the content probably won't take long to get through.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, wev said:

@Vorgot

Try and pop back on next week for an hour as the Starlight Celebration starts on the 18th, as ever the content probably won't take long to get through.

I will do that as my sub is still running. I'll be back soon I'm sure and will stash some Crysta in my account as I am working for when I am skint and want to come back. 

5 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Does anyone know of a way to install the game with a lapsed sub?

I don't own it on Steam or any other platform.

You should be able to install the trial version on any platform and use an old sub, providing it was under level 35. But you will need a registered version for any character over that level,

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Takizawa said:

Does anyone know of a way to install the game with a lapsed sub?

I don't own it on Steam or any other platform.

Further to the above reply there’s also a free log-in campaign running until January. If you have a lapsed sub then you’ll get 5 days for free from the date at which you re-register.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/43e7d126141d197e07c9fbebec536794f172f722

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Vorgot said:

You should be able to install the trial version on any platform and use an old sub, providing it was under level 35. But you will need a registered version for any character over that level,

Ta. I was close to just buying the base game on Steam for £10 but i'll make a trial account.

2 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Further to the above reply there’s also a free log-in campaign running until tomorrow. If you have a lapsed sub then you’ll get 5 days for free from the date at which you re-register.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/43e7d126141d197e07c9fbebec536794f172f722

Ah, maybe this will let me download without making a trial account!

Thanks both. I'll probably just sit and watch that Shadowbringers intro movie over and over, but it'll be worth it.

I bought the whale mount from the Store. I can’t hear your comments about the waste of money over how awesome it is.

edit: look at it, it's glorious. Has its own theme song as well with whale sounds.

• Upvote 3

I've been working my way through the Extreme trials which have been a lot of fun and has shown the community at its best, as soon as you say it's your first time doing each of them people start saying what to do, what not to do and generally putting up with any wipes then coaching on any mistakes made. I did Shiva last night and Garuda today. My Duty finder says I've still got Moggle Mog and Leviathan to do but I also need to unlock Ifrit and Titan (maybe others too)

• Upvote 1

I don’t think I can rescue my character. I had one of those log in key thingies and I’ve lost it and of course I don’t have a back up password anywhere. And I still have no time to play or money. D: Oh and I’d probably need an external hard drive for all the stuff now too. 

This is my semi-regular I want to come back but don’t do anything about it moan. :blah:

• Upvote 1

I use the phone app but have a photo of the recovery key in my photos library.

I'm missing playing the game but am enjoying playing some other stuff at the moment. I've been working full time for the last 2 months and have had zero time to play anything, but that will be scaling back soon so I may well come back if I find I have the time. And @wev, extreme Moggle Mog? You must be mad. I had so much trouble clearing that in the story as it seemed all the groups I was in had zero clue what to do, it was painful. I can see if you have a good group it could be a lot better, but I found typing on PS4 to be difficult as well as using the pad so if I was another player I would be frustrated playing with me. 

@Vorgot

I spent so many nights playing PSO on Dreamcast that switching between keyboard and controller to be not a problem.

I've joined a couple of Discords, the first isn't that inclusive, it's mostly people emoting at each other but I did get the jist that not alot of people do synced Moggle Mog (less than those who do synced primals anyway) so I might just do it unsynced and get it over and done with, that does mean though that I wouldn't learn how to play it properly which I don't like the idea of.

The other discord I joined from watching a streamer and getting chatting with her regulars today, just so happens that her main is on Moogle too and her regular group have jobs at all different levels so that they can often pick up new people to play with.

I did get a party to do Leviathan the other night but 20 minutes in after 3 wipes one guy decided he didn't want to continue, we waited around for 10 minutes for somebody else to join but had no luck, by then it was too late in the evening for me to begin queueing again.

That Discord with the streamer sounds good. Some of the fights are such good fun if you can pull them off as a group, but I would need voice comms to get the most out of that. Some of my best memories in gaming were doing complex fights in WoW with my guild, but I see my FFXIV experience as a different beast where the instances are a side thing which in a way is a shame as they can be spectacular. The library dungeon in Heavensward was brilliant fun as I was with a good group. 

I think I suffer with a bit of gaming anxiety when I'm online and not sure how I will get past that, it was spoiling my enjoyment a little. I doubt I will ever be able to get that social gaming thing again, but at least FF XIV is slanted to solo play, it won't put me off coming back once I've finished a few things on my PS4

I'll see how things pan out with them then share here.

I get the anxiety thing too even that time I bumped into you in Limsa Linda Lominsa I was like "er what shall I say?" "Does he want to talk or shall I leave him to his crafting" that kind of thing which is completely at odds with how I was on PSO where I'd spend hours in the lobbies chatting with people from my friends list or (before the hacking became widespread) jumping into open parties.

Edit: :lol: Limsa Linda

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Laine said:

I don’t think I can rescue my character. I had one of those log in key thingies and I’ve lost it and of course I don’t have a back up password anywhere. And I still have no time to play or money. D: Oh and I’d probably need an external hard drive for all the stuff now too. 

This is my semi-regular I want to come back but don’t do anything about it moan. :blah:

12 hours ago, wev said:

I had one of those key fobs but never used it.

Are those key fobs universal?  I have one I don't use that still works...I can pop in the post tomorrow if you want it?

@Mitchell it's a one time pass code, once you've registered the code to your account it's tied to your account, another key fob will generate a different code that would be no use if youd already applied one to your account. Apparently @Laine can have her code removed by square-enix support if she wants to do so.