rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

15 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Woo! Got my house in weeb land!

image.png.16fa6855fd8d0a141fa355743c137020.png

Now I finally have something to waste all my money on.

Nice! I've still not put anything in my apartment as I want to craft it so it'll have to wait for a bit as I have too much else to do. A house would be nice eventually, but plenty of time for that!

Just getting into Heavensward now, done the first dungeon, think it was The Dusk Vigil? About to head to the Chocobo Forest. Like the new areas so far, the difference in layout as they knew you would be flying gives it all a much more realistic feel. Just unlocked flying in Western Coerthas which is fun.

Crafting and gathering change a lot with the collectable stuff, that seems a decent way to earn XP (and master recipes). Just gathering at the moment as I'm not in all the areas to get all the stuff I need for the crafting yet so will start it once I make progress in the Dravinian forelands. Need to learn the crafting rotations properly now as well to do 50* and above, have found a website that has all that on so just need to put a day aside to get into all that in the next week or so (You'll get your shawl ASAP @wev!)

Quick question for veterans!

I know the cutscenes at the end of ARR were unskippable, and I was really grateful for that as I wanted to see the story stuff play out. Now I don't think the same thing happens in the final HW and Stormblood dungeons. Am I going to get abuse for watching cutscenes, or are there a lot less this time around? 

I didn’t get any abuse - it also tells you at the start if someone is new 

They’re also not as long as ARR

basically don’t worry 

55 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I didn’t get any abuse - it also tells you at the start if someone is new 

They’re also not as long as ARR

basically don’t worry 

cheers. I worry enough going into dungeons so that’s good to know. 

Just did the All Saints Wake instance. That was bloody good fun!!!!

Complete failure with the first group, second group we all chatted away and completed 3 tasks. Might well run it a few more times to see the other tasks, I think there are more than 3.

Is it literally just the new mount, a poster and a carriage as an external house decoration they're offering up for this year's Halloween event? Can you buy previous years items? I have a few things from a previous event (ghost costume, vampire clothing)

Was still fun though. I actually like the way the the events are done in general. In WoW you end up doing the same stuff year after year and for days at a time, it can get tiring. I like the Headless Horseman fight but I must have done it over 40 times. Ff14 has a different approach I suspect on purpose

Which minigames did you do? We had to find cookies, pumpkins and 4 hotspots, the latter took me ages! Everyone was waiting on me

Now I have flying in 3 areas in Heavensward I can just marvel at the step up in environments from ARR. The Churning Mists are just spectacular to move around in.

Crafting has had a sharp ramp up in difficulty, but I like the way they have done that. The collectables thing gives you different routes to level, which is good.

A highlight so far has been the Moogle Beast Tribe quests though. It's not obvious how to unlock them which was a pain, but for crafters they are far better than the Ixali ones in ARR. They are a lot shorter, but you can only do 3 per day. But, actual quests along with the dialogue options are amazing. Genuinely funny moments. And I will max out the Moogles, I need a Cloud Mallow mount. After using one in the quests its the only way to travel

You really can see how they took the work they did in ARR and just refined everything for Heavensward. It's a brilliant expansion so far for me, after a little lull I am loving playing again just to see what happens next rather than complete a checklist

• Upvote 1

I was rocked that jacket for a while, just the jacket though.

It's a shame you can't see what Glamour's people are using, unless I'm missing something, as I saw someone wearing a nice choker last night that would look great on my character, I used examine but that only showed me the item they had equipped

6 minutes ago, wev said:

I was rocked that jacket for a while, just the jacket though.

It's a shame you can't see what Glamour's people are using, unless I'm missing something, as I saw someone wearing a nice choker last night that would look great on my character, I used examine but that only showed me the item they had equipped

If you wait a short while it switches between the glamour and the actual item.

• Upvote 1

On 08/10/2019 at 20:17, Vorgot said:

Nice! I've still not put anything in my apartment as I want to craft it so it'll have to wait for a bit as I have too much else to do. A house would be nice eventually, but plenty of time for that!

Just getting into Heavensward now, done the first dungeon, think it was The Dusk Vigil? About to head to the Chocobo Forest. Like the new areas so far, the difference in layout as they knew you would be flying gives it all a much more realistic feel. Just unlocked flying in Western Coerthas which is fun.

Crafting and gathering change a lot with the collectable stuff, that seems a decent way to earn XP (and master recipes). Just gathering at the moment as I'm not in all the areas to get all the stuff I need for the crafting yet so will start it once I make progress in the Dravinian forelands. Need to learn the crafting rotations properly now as well to do 50* and above, have found a website that has all that on so just need to put a day aside to get into all that in the next week or so (You'll get your shawl ASAP @wev!)

Big changes to crafting incoming this Tuesday, btw.

Preliminary Patch Notes for 5.1 (Click on the items link to avoid all current story spoilers):

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/8ce1cb59a72145623c96a2aeabdb5df4189ff01a

Wow, lots of changes. I was just about to start using Raths rotation which I think was the standard for 60 and 70 star stuff but that’s changed now. Will have a good look through the changes later but thanks for that. Gatherers changing as well. Hmm, lot to take in there! Plus Summoner changes. Don’t know why I hadn’t checked patch notes, I just didn’t think such big changes were incoming. Because I’m miles behind on story I don’t keep up on all the current news for fear of spoilers so miss this stuff.

Thanks again!

Crafting and gathering changes are definitely welcome. Has nicely tidied up my hotbars for those jobs. Need to actually do some crafting now but it seems to make more sense now. Summoner changes don't really affect me as I am at 60, so I'll pick those up as I go.

One thing that is irking me a bit though is my level. At the end of ARR I ran MSQ roulette a bit to get poetics for gear. Then got XP for all of that slog through the inbetween quests so hit Heavensward way over levelled. So I've just done The Vault and hit level 60. As I had some Silver Chocobo feathers I have 3 pieces of Shire gear that I can now equip, so I am absolutely destroying mobs while questing. Seems a bit mad. I'm trying to put a brake on my levelling, so no side quests (except ones that unlock stuff), no buff food and no roulette. Any other way I can slow it down? Moogle quests only affect crafting so they are fine, Vath quests I want to do for poetics so I'll take that hit. Think I'll not do any roulettes at the end of HW and hopefully I'll be back more evenly in Stormblood. It's only a small niggle as it's my issue that joined the game very late, but it would be nice to be able to switch off XP gain for a while.

Nier 24-man alliance raid is insane. That end boss music :o Pretty impressive how they’ve incorporated the core aspects of Nier into a FFXIV raid. Mournful desolation, bullet hell and high heels, it’s all there.

Haven’t had a proper look at all the crafting changes yet but it appears that levelling has been made considerably easier and they’ve got rid of the need to level everything for the cross-class skills. Kind of moot for me as I have them all at 80 anyway but there’s no doubt it’s had the time commitment shaved down for those who want to pursue endgame crafting now.

Think the only thing might be to switch jobs and spread the xp. I had something similar going into HW my Bard was quite over levelled, so I did the story on SAM and used roulettes to get my Bard to 60 for Stormblood.

Then in Stormblood I switched back to Bard for the story and used SAM on NIN to do other things. About to start Shadowbringers at 71.5 on my Bard, so not too bad.

8 minutes ago, JPR said:

Think the only thing might be to switch jobs and spread the xp. I had something similar going into HW my Bard was quite over levelled, so I did the story on SAM and used roulettes to get my Bard to 60 for Stormblood.

Then in Stormblood I switched back to Bard for the story and used SAM on NIN to do other things. About to start Shadowbringers at 71.5 on my Bard, so not too bad.

Thats not a bad idea, may do that for Stormblood. I'll see where I get to at the end of HW. It's not a huge problem, it just means it's a bit easy at the moment. Am only 3 levels ahead though, current quests are 57 so I'll see how it goes. Don't really fancy levelling RDM from 50-57 at this point. Thanks for the suggestion though.

14 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Haven’t had a proper look at all the crafting changes yet but it appears that levelling has been made considerably easier and they’ve got rid of the need to level everything for the cross-class skills. Kind of moot for me as I have them all at 80 anyway but there’s no doubt it’s had the time commitment shaved down for those who want to pursue endgame crafting now.

The moaning I have seen is that it will punish people levelling at low levels but I can't see how thats the case, it's been simplified and made more friendly if you want to just level one job. I'm looking forward to getting cracking into it TBH and working out a rotation myself. Had some fun the last few days crafting some stuff for my apartment which still looks sparse but is pretty funky. I'm not entirely sure how useful an apartment is, especially as you can't have a glamour dresser, but its a fun thing to have and decorate

7 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Thats not a bad idea, may do that for Stormblood. I'll see where I get to at the end of HW. It's not a huge problem, it just means it's a bit easy at the moment. Am only 3 levels ahead though, current quests are 57 so I'll see how it goes. Don't really fancy levelling RDM from 50-57 at this point. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If you have Shadowbringers Dancer and Gunbreaker start at 60.

22 minutes ago, JPR said:

If you have Shadowbringers Dancer and Gunbreaker start at 60.

Another good point! So they would be available to me now. Will have a look and finish HW with one of them maybe. Cheers again

EDIT : Ah, misread that as Stormblood rather than Shadowbringers which I don't have yet. Hmmm. Might have a think about this and see how cheap I can find Shadowbringers for. Would be fun to maybe try Dancer and I am getting the expansion at some point in the near future anyway

Just now, Laine said:

I want to come back so bad!

Do it! I've only been playing for a few months but having a ton of fun with the game.

I decided to reduce my XP gain by using Red Mage to do the Vath daily quests and it's fun to play as a different job for a bit. Plus they sync those quests to your job level, so 50 is fine. I may well run some roulettes to get them up in levels a bit. Got my toon glamoured for that job in their starter gear as well for a different retro look. Am loving the questing and progression, particularly since HW is so much better in gameplay terms than ARR, but am looking forward to getting to true endgame as well. Getting excited by whats coming, trying new dungeons, all that stuff was great when I played WoW and I'm sure it'll be great here.

1 hour ago, Laine said:

I want to come back so bad!

Do it!

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

Got my toon glamoured for that job in their starter gear as well for a different retro look. Am loving the questing and progression, particularly since HW is so much better in gameplay terms than ARR, but am looking forward to getting to true endgame as well. Getting excited by whats coming, trying new dungeons, all that stuff was great when I played WoW and I'm sure it'll be great here.

You've already started it, fashion is the true gaming end game now. No doubt a few people wanted gear upgrades from the raid, but really it's all about the 2B outfit. Just like all those people who are playing PvP for the first time for some MGS Rising cosplay.

I do know what you mean though, I've enjoyed playing through the expansions but it does feel a bit like playing catch up and in pretty quiet zones. Looking forward to finally being on current content hopefully with busy zones and people doing FATEs.