rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Through into 2.4 now and feels more like a story building again.

apologies for not chatting last few days but boys are here and keyboard not plugged in. Have to grab logging in time when I can!

another question. Should I be using the Limit Breaks in dungeons? Tank just gave me instructions in one on where not to stand if I used it. I understand it’s a shared pool, should it be dps who use it?

Didn't realise it was a shared pool.

I usually wait until the final boss of the dungeon, the mid bosses are normally easy enough

2 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Through into 2.4 now and feels more like a story building again.

apologies for not chatting last few days but boys are here and keyboard not plugged in. Have to grab logging in time when I can!

another question. Should I be using the Limit Breaks in dungeons? Tank just gave me instructions in one on where not to stand if I used it. I understand it’s a shared pool, should it be dps who use it?

Most often its dps (melee single target, ranged normally some form of aoe). But the tank or healer can also use it if shit is popping off to badly.

Cheers guys. I’ll leave it to melee dps on bosses. I think it resets before bosses so it’s fine to use on big trash pulls as a summoner

Has Ignis had a cameo in FFXIV yet? I know Noctis has and Lightning from XIII too, but I think a Culinarian themed event centred around camping with Ignis would be pretty fun

Question for the healers out there. Once you reach the full party 8 player stuff, how do the healers decide who is looking after each tank? I’ve never seen them discuss it in party chat. 

I’ve just started playing around with AST and it’s a lot of (confusing) fun so far. Took advantage of those sweet instant queue times to jump from 30 to 35 in what felt like 10 minutes. It also made me realise how much more involved/focused you have to be when playing a healer. It gets stressful quickly when things get hectic, even at the simple Haukke Manor/Brayflox’s Longstop level I’m at at the moment. 

40 minutes ago, Pungee said:

Question for the healers out there. Once you reach the full party 8 player stuff, how do the healers decide who is looking after each tank? I’ve never seen them discuss it in party chat. 

You don't really just take care of one tank because most of the time there isn't anything that will damage both. I find that most of the time I don't really pay attention to the tank as with the exception of tankbuster abilities most raid bosses don't do all that much damage so it's more about recognising those abilities and then either throwing a heal out to get them back up to about 80-90% (and let regens/fairy take care of the rest) or throw out a big shield in advance. Broadly speaking I find dungeons are tank healing and raids are group healing. 

I've kind of put this on the back burner for the last week or two, having hit mid-expansion fatigue - it always seems to happen. I'm in the Azim Steppes now and I've done nothing but menial quests for hours and hours now, it's been ages since I last saw a dungeon and the Stormblood plot is best described as "low key". Playing a few more immediate titles before girding my loins and getting back to the grind.

15 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've kind of put this on the back burner for the last week or two, having hit mid-expansion fatigue - it always seems to happen. I'm in the Azim Steppes now and I've done nothing but menial quests for hours and hours now, it's been ages since I last saw a dungeon and the Stormblood plot is best described as "low key". Playing a few more immediate titles before girding my loins and getting back to the grind.

Same boat, but I was playing from the start. Hit the post-main quest stuff in Stormblood and totally fizzled out. Hopefully get back to it and finish up before my sub elapses, but man - when you hit the wall in this you hit it hard.

18 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think with any game that you put so much into you hit a wall at some point. I was charging through but am playing some other stuff on the side as well, and levelling my crafting and gathering all to 50. Makes a nice change of pace, but with my boys around I'm playing more on the 3DS and Vita as well which is giving me a decent break.

Enjoying the Hildibrand stuff too, it's a very silly change of pace. Just finished all the stuff with him at the Costa at that did make me chuckle a few times.

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

6 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Same boat, but I was playing from the start. Hit the post-main quest stuff in Stormblood and totally fizzled out. Hopefully get back to it and finish up before my sub elapses, but man - when you hit the wall in this you hit it hard.

Stormblood story is a bit flat coming after Heavensward, but you have to power through to get to Shadowbringers which is just flat out fucking amazing.

• Upvote 1

Cutter's Cry is a big step up for healers compared to the other dungeons, isn't it? I'd never had a single party member die in 11 levels of playing AST until we wiped three times in a row on the giant worm boss. 

I think I'm struggling to know when someone if affected by a negative status effect and what it actually is. Particularly since I've only played one other class (ARC/BRD) and so have no idea what the little icons represent for the abilities of the other classes. I guess this wouldn't be as much of a problem if I was playing with a mouse and I could just mouse over the tiny icons on my party list but it honestly seems impossible to keep up with who is affected with what using a controller. What am I doing wrong? Can I set it somewhere so only negative statuses show up there?

27 minutes ago, Pungee said:

Cutter's Cry is a big step up for healers compared to the other dungeons, isn't it? I'd never had a single party member die in 11 levels of playing AST until we wiped three times in a row on the giant worm boss. 

I think I'm struggling to know when someone if affected by a negative status effect and what it actually is. Particularly since I've only played one other class (ARC/BRD) and so have no idea what the little icons represent for the abilities of the other classes. I guess this wouldn't be as much of a problem if I was playing with a mouse and I could just mouse over the tiny icons on my party list but it honestly seems impossible to keep up with who is affected with what using a controller. What am I doing wrong? Can I set it somewhere so only negative statuses show up there?

image.png.acb8f134c5a89ff4484ea11973501b80.png

Any status icon with a little blue bar above it can be removed with Esuna.

Arrow pointing down (as in the image above) = debuff. Arrow pointing up = buff.

It's not expected or required that you know every single buff and/or debuff status and its icon as there are so many of them and as a healer you honestly only need to worry about a few of the debuffs, such as paralysis. They'll appear first on the row of icons next to a player's name in the party list.

• Upvote 1

Am hoping people don’t mind if I spend a few FC credits on actions to buff gathering Xperia’s and crafting skills? Am trying to power through to 50 on gathering and crafting, when I know I’ll solid day of it I’ll activate the buffs. We have a ton of credits sat there at the moment. 

I'm happy with that, I think they'd be earned back quicker than they can be spent?

I'm gonna have to remote play this for the next few days as my other half has been playing State of Decay 2 for the past 3 days :lol:

End of 2.4 now, didn't realise I had to to Titan/Garuda/Ifrit on hard to progress. Ifrit was a breeze last night, 5 minute queue. Garuda I waited 40 minutes before giving up on waiting and went to bed. Will try again later.

Thanks to the friendly Mukker who pointed me at some guides and reminded me about levequests my gathering and crafting has rocketed on. Plan to get Botany, Mining and all crafting to 50 before I start HW which will not be difficult. Having 3 retainers, one for BTN, one for MIN and one ACN going out for specific mats is a godsend. Plus I'm starting to make some money now from the Market Boards with dyes and HQ items, plus anything that can be used for levequests. And gardening stuff as well. Think I'll be buying an apartment soon to kit out as my own.

Like the current event as well, a nice piece of thanks from the devs to the people playing the game. Watching the documentaries posted a while back you can see how much they appreciate the players and how devastated they were when the game originally tanked. Plus a mini Y'shtola, whats not to love. I ended up with the mini Enkidu after the final Hildibrand trial, which was a nice bonus as well. Enjoying having my little minions with me when I'm gathering and crafting!

All in all I'm now very invested in this and am going to take my time with the MSQs as I catch up with the rest of the world. Just found out that I have got a new job after being unemployed for a while, might be a bit before I start though, and the game has helped me through that and will keep me busy for a while. I've had a rough few years and the ability to be able to jump into a different world is a really big help to stop negative thoughts and brooding to set in!

• Upvote 2

@wev Funnily enough we had 4 DPS, no tanks or healers. Not really a shock!!!!!!

That music is brilliant, it's one of the tracks on Theatrhythm as well, love playing it

Up to 49 on my AST and I’m not sure if I’m cut out for playing a healer full time. 

I get tense every time I join the dungeon roulette. The lower level stuff is easy enough but now it’s throwing in stuff like Stone Vigil and Aurum Vale it’s getting incredibly hard to keep everyone alive, debuff-free and with the right cards applied, and the sense of guilt when people start dying at a boss is killing me. Fair play to the full time healers out there, you’re doing good work. 

28 minutes ago, wev said:

Anyone done the Message in a Bottle mini event quest?

Hide contents

your character meets Yoshida!

Yeah, thats the event I was talking about, its pretty smart. The letters in bottles are good too

13 minutes ago, Pungee said:

Up to 49 on my AST and I’m not sure if I’m cut out for playing a healer full time. 

I get tense every time I join the dungeon roulette. The lower level stuff is easy enough but now it’s throwing in stuff like Stone Vigil and Aurum Vale it’s getting incredibly hard to keep everyone alive, debuff-free and with the right cards applied, and the sense of guilt when people start dying at a boss is killing me. Fair play to the full time healers out there, you’re doing good work. 

Fair play to you for giving it a go as well, it seems like it would get tough as the levels ramp up. Done a fair few dungeons and getting through them as DPS without messing up it enough of a challenge. 

Titan Hard - Controller wouldn't accept button inputs all of a sudden, got knocked off, watched the rest. Keeper of the Lake, dies twice in the final boss, though I could swear I was under the shield the second time. I apologised at the end and the healer "patted me gently on the shoulder" so all was good.

The Chrysalis I was impressed with, there were only 4 of us who made it out of the void things at the end, luckily it was Tank, Healer and 2 DPS so we burned him down, that felt like a nice victory!

Going through the level 50 gathering where you have to wait for spawn points at certain times, but am getting through it! If anyone wants the Coblyn Larva or Kidragora minions sent in the post let me know

5 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Yeah, thats the event I was talking about, its pretty smart. The letters in bottles are good too

The only problem is I can't find the Vendor, I've googled and it says they should be at Bloodshore nearby where you take on the quest

28 minutes ago, wev said:

The only problem is I can't find the Vendor, I've googled and it says they should be at Bloodshore nearby where you take on the quest

The vendor is right next to the quest giver but difficult to see with everyone there. 

deselect the targets, then point away from the vendor but look to the side of them and press X. You should then get the vendor. Took me a few goes but I got it in the end

• Upvote 1