rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

12 hours ago, Flub said:

Dunno. There's about a million things I still need to figure out.

One thing that puzzles me. To buy armour with poetics in Rev Toll you just buy them straight with poetics. To buy a weapon from the same place you have to buy two other items from the same vendor with poetics and then use those to buy the weapon.

WHY THE EXTRA STEP? Why not just sell the weapons for poetics? It's the entire game in a nutshell. 1 step would be fine? Insert more pointless steps to make it drag. From what I understand even though the story just keeps getting better and better the nature of the questing being padded as hell doesn't really change much.

It's probably a relic from when the weapons were new. Often you have to trade in a type of tomestone you could only earn limited amounts of for the tokens/items (which in total would be more than you can carry of that type of tomestone) to buy the weapon. When that particular type of tomestone was removed from the game it was changed to poetic, but the buying process remained the same.

I think the ARR stuff is what has driven me to doing the gathering and crafting, it's a bit of a grind but I know there is better stuff to come. I suppose in theory I could take my gathering and crafting classes past my main class, and she would still retain her level so would be fine to carry on. I suppose that I would see areas as a crafter first though which isn't ideal. Plus I'd hit the end of ARR and not be able to progress. I'll probably just keep the gathering stuff at about the same level once they catch up, maybe concentrate on it every five levels or so. Currently my main is 37 and my crafters mainly about 20 odd. 

Anyone who’s at 50, don’t forget to do at least some of the Hildibrand questline, it’s pure comedy and a great way of breaking up the slog of the main story quest at that point. 

I’m going to try and do Crystal Tower this weekend I think, never done any of the 24-man raids and am very keen to give it a go. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Anyone who’s at 50, don’t forget to do at least some of the Hildibrand questline, it’s pure comedy and a great way of breaking up the slog of the main story quest at that point. 

I’m going to try and do Crystal Tower this weekend I think, never done any of the 24-man raids and am very keen to give it a go. 

Are they easy to miss or do you get pushed towards them? Have heard they are great fun

Hildibrand is just side quests. They start in Ul’Dah somewhere and the first quest is called The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen. 

The Crystal Tower questline starts in Mor Dhona somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hildibrand is just side quests. They start in Ul’Dah somewhere and the first quest is called The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen. 

The Crystal Tower questline starts in Mor Dhona somewhere. 

Meant the Hildebrand ones, so thanks. While before I get there but I'll bear it in mind

You can see how well they're evolving the content once you get to Heavensward. The plot is more interesting (hugely so), much more connected. Duties have gone from being simple and occasionally a pain in the arse to almost mini dungeons.

I also got my black chocobo and he's a handsome boi. Gonna save the flight unlocking until I finish the content (Assuming the plot allows me to).

• Upvote 1

Love this (different version) from the fight I've just done

Pity a the YouTube versions of it are tied to gameplay.

Shame they didn't put that on Theatrythm, which would have been a nice change of pace in there. Thats a great game in it's own right as well though

3 hours ago, Flub said:

You can see how well they're evolving the content once you get to Heavensward. The plot is more interesting (hugely so), much more connected. Duties have gone from being simple and occasionally a pain in the arse to almost mini dungeons.

I think that's what's most impressive about FFXIV - the feeling that the team is just going from strength to strength, even after all these years. The general feedback on Shadowbringers has been outstanding and most people seem to rate it even above Heavensward. And the game seems more popular than ever, deservedly so. The constant stream of top-quality content for a game that's already beyond massive is truly remarkable.

Is this the longest single storyline in the whole of gaming? It certainly feels like it. The way they set things up months and years in advance is exceptional, and there's a huge amount of stuff you're probably not even seeing - you can talk to pretty much any character at any stage of the quest and they've always got something relevant to say. I can't even begin to fathom how big the script is for the game.

I know the original ARR gets a bit of flak occasionally for being bloated and less interesting than the expansions, but the more you read about the catastrophic original release of Final Fantasy IV and how they basically turned the whole thing around in 18 months by creating an entire new game while still supporting the original the more impressive it seems. There's a great 3-part series of videos on YouTube that covers the whole story.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think that's what's most impressive about FFXIV - the feeling that the team is just going from strength to strength, even after all these years. The general feedback on Shadowbringers has been outstanding and most people seem to rate it even above Heavensward. And the game seems more popular than ever, deservedly so. The constant stream of top-quality content for a game that's already beyond massive is truly remarkable.

Is this the longest single storyline in the whole of gaming? It certainly feels like it. The way they set things up months and years in advance is exceptional, and there's a huge amount of stuff you're probably not even seeing - you can talk to pretty much any character at any stage of the quest and they've always got something relevant to say. I can't even begin to fathom how big the script is for the game.

I know the original ARR gets a bit of flak occasionally for being bloated and less interesting than the expansions, but the more you read about the catastrophic original release of Final Fantasy IV and how they basically turned the whole thing around in 18 months by creating an entire new game while still supporting the original the more impressive it seems. There's a great 3-part series of videos on YouTube that covers the whole story.

Don't suppose you've got a link for that? I know very little about the original game apart from it flopping (no idea why though). SE do seem to support these MMOs well though as they still have the servers for XI running from what I've heard.

Also, finished 2.4 tonight, love the title of the last quest

Let Us Cling Together

Having a great time in Heavensward. People are surprisingly nice in dungeons too. Just had a quest dungeon where the tank started off by pulling too much. I said I was still levelling and he started pulling in manageble chunks and we got the dungeon finished no problems.

W5FvpcZ.jpg

hd6rrRi.png

OrqT4vI.jpg

ny6hLMY.png

momlDJp.png

HN05vWW.jpg

gzPr7nw.jpg

hjssCuc.jpg

I like the way they do the flying unlocks. I've been hovering up the currents via the compass first and then I get the rest by following the main quest with the final one granted just as I move on. It's very nice system that keeps you grounded as you experience the story but when you need to go back later you get the extra mobility.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Flub said:

Having a great time in Heavensward. People are surprisingly nice in dungeons too. Just had a quest dungeon where the tank started off by pulling too much. I said I was still levelling and he started pulling in manageble chunks and we got the dungeon finished no problems.

I like the way they do the flying unlocks. I've been hovering up the currents via the compass first and then I get the rest by following the main quest with the final one granted just as I move on. It's very nice system that keeps you grounded as you experience the story but when you need to go back later you get the extra mobility.

Some really nice pics there, looks like the envrionments take a step up, and they are something I am already impressed with, coming from WoW.

The best thing about other people’s FFXIV shots is looking at them and thinking “who’s that person and where’s the Warrior of Light?”  After hundreds of hours of having my lovable doofus up front and centre in every cutscene, I sometimes forget that he’s a generated character and not the default PC that everyone plays with. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Some really nice pics there, looks like the envrionments take a step up, and they are something I am already impressed with, coming from WoW.

They do indeed take a huge step up.

I was up until 2am playing last night. I certainly wouldn't have done that for ARR content either.

11 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Part 1

Oh cool. I didn't realise there was a noclip doc about the game.

Right, I think I'm near the end of my gathering/crafting limit for now.

One thing that annoyed me about the crafting was that you couldn't craft from the retainers inventory which means a lot of swapping and managing stuff. Thought it was a daft restriction, but looking into it, it does make sense. The retainers inventory has to be pulled from the server every time you look at it, so having it automatically load every time someone went into crafting would cause a massive load on the server. So I get that. I presume it's a holdover from an early technical design decision.

Saddlebags load from the server each time you enter a new zone, and that causes enough server load anyway apparently. 

So I'll forgive the devs for that. What I won't forgive them for though is putting a culinarian recipe in the level 1-5 list when one of the items (Rodanberry) is not available to gather until level 40 odd and is also not available to buy anywhere except from one event vendor. Everything else, as I'm using all crafting and gathering classes, I have been able to get myself up to level 25 so far. Seems weird that they stuck this one recipe as an outlier, and it cost a fair bit on the market boards. But I wanted to complete that 1-5 list. Also having some required items that are sold by just 1 or 2 vendors and are uncraftable seems just being awkward. Looking at you Blue Cheese. Other than that, crafting has been fun and a good way to get seals from provisioning quests.

I did the first two raids of the Crystal Tower series (level 50 24-man alliance raids) last night and they were fantastic fun. It was my first experience of 24-man content in FFXIV and I was expecting (a) a long queue and (b) a challenge and neither of those things materialised. I got into each raid in less than ten minutes and we cut through them like butter, I just basically followed everyone else and punched stuff at random and it seemed to work. (Although levels are synced, equipment levels aren't, so everyone's massively overpowered now compared to when these were released). Still, seeing a whole crowd of people racing around is somehow really funny, like a Final Fantasy XIV flash mob rather than an adventurers' alliance.

Also the plot seems really interesting, and relevant: apparently it ties directly into Shadowbringers (and in fact overlaps with some of the pre-Stormblood plot as well) so it's probably worth doing it at some point for that reason alone. But honestly it's just really fun.

• Upvote 1

Alliance raids (24-mans) when they're relevant and at current gear levels so provide a real challenge are my favourite content in the game. The final Stormblood one (The Orbonne Monastery) was exceptional and the Shadowbringers ones are going to be Nier-themed so I really can't wait for them.

Having 24 people all working together to overcome is just such an amazing experience and I've made many friends through them. The old ARR 24-mans are just so trivial now in terms of difficulty that entire mechanics are completely bypassed or nullified. Still quite the spectacle but if you can get up to speed and be able to play the Shadowbringers ones when they're still relevant then you're in for one of the greatest experiences in the entire game.

And yes the Crystal Tower storyline is very relevant to the Shadowbringers story as a whole, so it's a good grounding to have it fresh in your memory. I couldn't remember any of it and had to go back and watch the cutscenes to remind myself of just what happened and the characters involved.

Shadowbringers story down - first time I'd been at the end of the MSQ.

That was fucking amazing throughout - even with some MMO trope quests it call came together marvelously. Ardbert :wub:

• Upvote 1