rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

I'm gonna take care of 2.4 tonight, one step closer to Heavensward!

It's been said so many times, but the story really is quite interesting, it's just the tiresome nature of the fast travelling and throwaway quest objectives that are the problem.

Yesterday in Shadowbringers.

Me: *talking to quest NPC*

NPC: "We gotta go some place, meet me there"

Destination is displayed on map

Me: *goes to destination and talks to quest NPC*

NPC: "We're almost there"

NPC vanishes and a new destination is displayed on map

Me: "why is this game the way it is... "

There's literally no value whatsoever to that middle part of the quest. I truly wonder what the design philosophy behind it is. I has to be deliberate right, it's been like this since A Realm Reborn.

9 hours ago, df0 said:

Yesterday in Shadowbringers.

Me: *talking to quest NPC*

NPC: "We gotta go some place, meet me there"

Destination is displayed on map

Me: *goes to destination and talks to quest NPC*

NPC: "We're almost there"

NPC vanishes and a new destination is displayed on map

Me: "why is this game the way it is... "

There's literally no value whatsoever to that middle part of the quest. I truly wonder what the design philosophy behind it is. I has to be deliberate right, it's been like this since A Realm Reborn.

| was hoping to see the back of those after the Seventh Astral Era quests...

Level 54 at the moment and over half way through 2.4. I ran the MSQ roulette last night which was an interesting experience. 20 minutes of unskippable cutscenes, me never needing to heal at all and over a million xp and a load of poetics at the end of it.

One weird thing though. The dungeon I ended up running was the final one in ARR. The idea of this roulette is that it lets new players continue the story and see the cutscenes by incentivising higher level players to run it. This worked for the entire fight up to the last fight. While I was stuck in the cutscene I could hear the fight going on. Once I got out of the cutscene a handful of players had pretty much finished the fight. The cutscenes are unskippable so there must be some glitch to break out of the last one since they never did it for any of the others.

Thankfully from what I understand they never made the mistake of putting plot into the dungeons like that afterwards so it's an odd little queue that stands alone. It's quite nice to run while you're watching something else on the other monitor.

I'm really glad they changed that, back in the day when I ran it as part of the main quest everyone just skipped every cutscene and I had to watch the whole ending to the story afterwards in the Inn. It was a massive anti-climax for what was supposed to be the culmination of everything that had happened up to that point.

Speaking of the Inn, does anyone have any tips on how to clear out gear? Having come back to the game, both my retainers, my armoury chest and my chocobo saddlebag are all stuffed full of old armour pieces (plus my inventory is full of crafting materials I'm not using). Do I just vendor the lot (and is there a quick way of doing this rather than transferring them all into my inventory) or are there particular pieces I should be bothering to put on the marketplace? I just want to clear out a load of space but I can't remember what anything actually is.

I have a similar situation. My bags and my retainer bags were chock full of crafting materials. My armour chest is full of stuff for all the different classes I tried out. I ended up vendoring every last piece of crafting material this morning. I'm not planning on crafting anytime soon.

The armour I'm not sure about. I might vendor anything that isn't WHM (My main class), bard (level 30) and BLM (The class I'm going to level eventually). It's a chore though.

Out of interest why would you keep old armour sets for your main class? Presumably you've out-levelled those anyway so they're prime candidates for off-loading. Or are you keeping them for glamour purposes/other reasons?

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Out of interest why would you keep old armour sets for your main class? Presumably you've out-levelled those anyway so they're prime candidates for off-loading. Or are you keeping them for glamour purposes/other reasons?

Never bothered to clean them out and a lot of them can be used for more than one job anyway. It's going to take me months to clear all the stories going forward so I could probably get away with clearing out the lot.

13 minutes ago, wev said:

Can't armour be changed into materia?

Dunno. There's about a million things I still need to figure out.

One thing that puzzles me. To buy armour with poetics in Rev Toll you just buy them straight with poetics. To buy a weapon from the same place you have to buy two other items from the same vendor with poetics and then use those to buy the weapon.

WHY THE EXTRA STEP? Why not just sell the weapons for poetics? It's the entire game in a nutshell. 1 step would be fine? Insert more pointless steps to make it drag. From what I understand even though the story just keeps getting better and better the nature of the questing being padded as hell doesn't really change much.

A lot of this stuff is historic. It improves a lot as the game progresses - for instance the equivalent at level 60 works much more simply, you've got one vendor that sells everything then someone else who augments them, and they're about five seconds away from each other. I think particularly at level 50 there was quite a long gap between content patches so there's quite a lot of grindy content there (the Relic Weapons quest in particular was a massive grind, and now it's totally pointless bar a couple of early unlocks and the possibility of a glamour if you're into that sort of thing).

Apparently they're going to start streamlining some of the ARR quests, beginning in patch 5.1. It's already much less of a grind than it used to be (you no longer need to level a sub-class to 15 to get your job crystal, and you don't need to level other jobs to get specific cross-class skills, that's all been streamlined out) but clearly there are improvements still to be made. There are about 5 levels in the middle of ARR where you're just running around getting ingredients for a banquet which could be chopped in its entirety, and the early pre-Heavensward quests are still a complete slog, but in general the game's in a much better place than it ever used to be.

27 minutes ago, wev said:

Can't armour be changed into materia?

Any item that is 100% spritboound can be converted to Materia.

While I seem to have an unhealthy obsession with raising crafting and gathering jobs, it seems to be paying off. Have put a few things on the marketplace and got good money for them. 

Is anyone still after invites to the cross server linkshell? I'll  be on for the next few evenings and thanks to @Garwoofoo I know how to visit other worlds. 

46 minutes ago, Flub said:

Dunno. There's about a million things I still need to figure out.

Stuff I don't understand at all but keep running into: Hunts, Retainer Ventures, Wondrous Tails, Materia, Blue Mages, Orchestrion Rolls, Dyeing, Glamours, Deep Dungeons, pretty much every crafting role, housing, probably a load of other stuff that I've forgotten about.

I'm working on the Adventurer Squadron at the moment, that's pretty fun but I don't really know what I'm doing or even why I'm doing it. But sending my little dudes off on silly missions every 18 hours and watching them level up is quite diverting.

What crafting/gathering roles have people focused on? Would it be worth us figuring out who can help who by providing materials? For example I love fishing, but then just get my retainer to auto sell anything I catch as Ive not bothered with the marketplace, is there anyone whos a culinarian who would want my fish? Is it worth us trying to retrieve the old RLLMUK Free Company? Ive no idea who was in control of it nor if they even play the game any more.

I think the cross-world linkshell is probably the best way to co-ordinate, if we can get everyone on that then we should be able to do what we need to do. FCs are server-specific aren't they? We've got a lot of players on Louisoix as well as on Moogle these days.

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think the cross-world linkshell is probably the best way to co-ordinate, if we can get everyone on that then we should be able to do what we need to do. FCs are server-specific aren't they? We've got a lot of players on Louisoix as well as on Moogle these days.

Yeah that's fair enough, though the linkshell is great for communication it means it's more difficult to pool our resources, but if people are happy selling their stuff that's fine too, although the only thing I've used Gil for recently has been to teleport.

5 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

I sell all my old gear and random dungeon drops for grand company points to keep my retainers happy with venture tokens. 

Explain this process pls. Flub desires more venture points.

5 minutes ago, wev said:

Yeah that's fair enough, though the linkshell is great for communication it means it's more difficult to pool our resources, but if people are happy selling their stuff that's fine too, although the only thing I've used Gil for recently has been to teleport.

We are also very different levels as well so helping with crafting isn't ideal. I think once we hit max levels the crafting will become more relevant as a group. I'm just doing it now for the hell of it, i enjoy logging on and gathering. Not done much fishing yet though. I find the whole thing pretty relaxing. At this rate I'll forget how to play my Summoner

22 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

You can speak to the NPC next to the GC gear seller and one of the options is special delivery or some such. There you can sell old gear for GC points. 

I think you need to be a particular GC level to get this option - I don't seem to have it yet which is one of the reasons I'm levelling up my Adventurer Squadron as I think that's the prerequisite for my next rank. Unless I'm missed something (entirely possible).

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

I sell all my old gear and random dungeon drops for grand company points to keep my retainers happy with venture tokens. 

How have I missed this, only the other day I was wondering if there's anything useful to get with all these seals, now I can stock up on ventures and keep my retainer down the mines.

2 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Is anyone still after invites to the cross server linkshell? I'll  be on for the next few evenings and thanks to @Garwoofoo I know how to visit other worlds. 

I (Yavie Este) still need an invite, should be on in the next few evenings.

Moogle is listed as congested. When I logged in tonight it said I could transfer to a new or preferred server for free and get bonuses (Including increased xp before 70 I believe) so I've just set that going.

And lol. Spriggran the new server is even more congested :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Flub said:

Explain this process pls. Flub desires more venture points.

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think you need to be a particular GC level to get this option - I don't seem to have it yet which is one of the reasons I'm levelling up my Adventurer Squadron as I think that's the prerequisite for my next rank. Unless I'm missed something (entirely possible).

image.png.d984a9f78aff23ae456cd68ee4d46906.png

Then offload all your tat!

image.png.0afc9a31aa8c051d48772a7f2eacafca.png

• Upvote 1