rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

On 10/07/2019 at 20:13, Jonster said:

I've created a cross world link shell. Now to get people on my friends list so I can invite them...

I've added Jasberfloob already so there's no risk of it going anywhere either :)

Can I get an invite please? PSN droodling, character is Hemlock Ravenclaw on Omega

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Help please.

I'm playing on PS4 and I'm on one of the final quests before Stormblood. There's a solo duty that halfway through puts you in some sort of magitek cannon to fight off a load of enemies.

The moves for this cannon appear on a new hotbar in the middle of the screen. I can't find any way to actually activate these controls using the controller. The only way I can do it is by using the touchpad to move the mouse pointer and click them that way, which is obviously impossible at the same time as trying to move and target with the controller and I'm just dying repeatedly.

How do I get it to add these new abilities to my actual cross bar? I've tried disabling the Mount Hotbar and playing around with the settings for the Pet Hotbar but nothing seems to actually shift these things from their new bar, and I can't find anyway to activate them with buttons. I'm completely stuck.

Got this sorted in the end, though I'm not quite sure how. Maybe disabling the Pet Hotbar completely did it, but it's forced these skills onto my crossbar now and I managed to complete the duty successfully. God those menus are confusing.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Got this sorted in the end, though I'm not quite sure how. Maybe disabling the Pet Hotbar completely did it, but it's forced these skills onto my crossbar now and I managed to complete the duty successfully. God those menus are confusing.

Glad you got it sorted. They have done a brilliant job at making it controller friendly but you get the feeling that a lot of it is held together with fairy wishes and it doesn't take much to break it.

My WHM is currently level 47. The next MSQ is level 49 so I'm just going to do a few dungeons to hit 50 before I continue. Does anyone know why my daily levelling roulette got stuck at level 16 though?

Isn’t that just the minimum level you need to be? I think Sastasha opens at 16. The roulette should pick from any of the dungeons you’ve got unlocked. 

8 hours ago, droodling said:

Can I get an invite please? PSN droodling, character is Hemlock Ravenclaw on Omega

You certainly can. I'll be on most of tomorrow and will check in on the other worlds periodically (no one was about tonight, but it is late).

Alternatively, if you visit Louisoix and search for Striker Eureka or Celestiane Lunarstar, and send one of us a tell we can invite you that way as well I think.

I just did the 8 man duty Cape Westwind. My first 8 man and I went into it nervous. I figure I'll just blame the other healer if I fuck up ;)

Turns out people are seriously overpowered in this game. I didn't have to do anything and the entire thing took about 30 seconds :)

28 minutes ago, Flub said:

I just did the 8 man duty Cape Westwind. My first 8 man and I went into it nervous. I figure I'll just blame the other healer if I fuck up ;)

Turns out people are seriously overpowered in this game. I didn't have to do anything and the entire thing took about 30 seconds :)

I remember how challenging they were before I took a break from the game, so I'm kinda grateful for it, but at the same it's a shame I won't get to do them 'properly'. I guess it's just a lot of people doing their daily main story mission, a clever way of helping those that are still catching up with the story.

It's the best design decision the game ever made though, giving people not only a reason to keep doing old content on a daily basis but even welcoming new players due to the bonuses they get. It means stuff never gets outdated and the queue times (especially at the moment with the high population post-expansion release) are extremely quick. It makes for a very smooth experience even for people coming fresh to content that's nearly six years old at this point.

Just finished the original ARR stuff. Super glad everyone was overpowered for that final dungeon. Unskippable slow as molassas cut scenes would have been a nightmare if we were wiping at the same time :)

Onwards! So about a 100 quests to Heavensward then?

Yep. It can be a bit of a slog but the plot really kicks up a gear as you approach Heavensward so try and enjoy it for what it is. There are a lot of optional level 50 dungeons and trials you can unlock now too so break up the story sequences with those if you like, for variety. 

Haha, yes, virtually every voice actor in the game changes between the end of one cutscene and the start of the next!

I think it was due to contracts - they moved from the US-based studio they'd used for ARR to a UK-based outfit for the expansions and they basically had to recast everyone. In general it's an improvement - you've now got actual Brits doing the voices rather than Americans trying to do the accent - and mostly the acting is better, as it was pretty terrible before. But yes it's a bit jarring initially. The good news is they stick with the same actors from that point on.

Well that’s something at least- but there’s at least one character who sounds much worse now to me :/ and yeah it’s very jarring when they literally change within seconds lol

Shit man. I'm only up to patch 2.2. This is going to take forever. I really hope they get much better at the questing.

Go here and talk to this man. Cross the road and talk to this one, cross back and speak to the first man again. Teleport somewhere else and talk to another man. Kill a couple of trivial mobs. Teleport to Minfillia and say hello. Repeat until the heat death of the universe

The storyline is good, but the actual gameplay part of the questing isn’t- it’s mainly time-filling fetch quests.

To be honest, I wouldn’t even bother doing the hard version dungeons to break it up. What happens then is that you level up a little, and the quests become even easier. Plus, you won’t be able to get any more role quests to unlock new skills until you get to Heavensward, so you’re stuck with the skills you have until then.

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

Go here and talk to this man. Cross the road and talk to this one, cross back and speak to the first man again. Teleport somewhere else and talk to another man. Kill a couple of trivial mobs. Teleport to Minfillia and say hello. Repeat until the heat death of the universe

Yup. And you have not seen the last of The Burning Sands/Milfania, there's so much more :lol:

It gets better in Stormblood and beyond.

I don't have a problem with any of the characters but man you can tell they were desperate to give people something, anything to do as quickly as possible. I think if I wasn't aware it improves massively this is the point I'd quit. I made the mistake of looking at how much I had left to do before Heavensward started. Jesus.

Hmm. I quite like the way this little refugee story is going in 2.2. It's slow and talky and needs me to teleport a lot but it's at least a bit interesting

I'd like to buy a new staff with the poetics I've earned for my WHM. I went to the vendor in Revenant toll and she literally had zero weapons. Am I in the right place? Currently level 52

From the Wiki... are you talking to the right vendor?

Allagan Tomestone of Poetics are the new Allagan Tomestones introduced in patch 2.4. They are used to purchase Ironworks Armor (Item level 120) and Ironworks Accessories (Item level 120) from Auriana in Mor Dhona (x22,y6). These Armor and Accessories can be upgraded into Item level 130 Augmented Ironworks Armor and Augmented Ironworks Accessories with Carbontwine and Carboncoat.

Additionally, they can be used to purchase Rowena's Token (Poetics) for 60 each, also from Auriana in Mor Dhona. Rowena's Token (Poetics) and Encrypted Tomestone can be used to purchase Ironworks Magitek Weapons from Aelina.

14 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

From the Wiki... are you talking to the right vendor?

Ok. So people on Resetera are sezzing you can totally buy weapons with poetics and it looks like you can't. How would one get a new weapon for an alt that you'd levelled?

*Edit* My WHM literally hasn't had a new weapon for 11 levels. That can't be right.

Well, sounds like you can, you just need to trade in the poetics for the tokens, then trade in the tokens for the weapons.

Although, from memory, the pre-Heavensward quests start rewarding you with armour and weapons pretty soon, so you might want to just continue with those unless you are struggling.

7 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Well, sounds like you can, you just need to trade in the poetics for the tokens, then trade in the tokens for the weapons.

Although, from memory, the pre-Heavensward quests start rewarding you with armour and weapons pretty soon, so you might want to just continue with those unless you are struggling.

That's a good point. Would be a shame to waste the poetics when I can just blast through the rest of these quests in two or three evenings.

I bought a load of armour with my poetics as I'd filled up my quota of them doing dungeons etc I'm sure I'll fill up on them quite quickly

Just did Leviathan. Quest Rewards were a selection of weapons but nothing at all for casters. Not the first time they've done that either. It's really, really weird.

*Edit* Lol. And the next quest is the rest of the weapons. Very odd.

On 13/07/2019 at 14:51, droodling said:

How do you check in on other worlds as I am happy to do admin stuff to help us all connect? I am online Mon-Fri a lot (Not working at the moment) daytime and evening. Weekends my boys are here so I struggle. But if I know how to add people from other worlds I'm happy to facilitate that.