rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

I'm still bumbling along at level 37ish I think, just took down Titan. The MSQs are a bit weird, loads of fetch quests then some genuinely great stuff, I've just done the post Titan fight scenes and the story ramped up. I head off for the next section......and have to go fetch some tools to fix a watch. It's just pretty uneven. But I've got to realise that it's the original content and it gets better. TBH, I'm still finding it amazingly engaging anyway, if the story gets better thats a bonus. I'm enjoying just logging on and levelling gathering and crafting as well, it's just a relaxing thing to do, and I like being able to make my own stuff.

The only thing I am not finding interesting is the Scolar stuff at this level. It's awful. I know it's low level, I know there are a lot of skills to add, but it is boring to even bother with at the moment.

Summoner has a choice of pets who have different skills, 2 DoTs to get up, an AOE DoT spread mechanic, 2 Aetherflow triggers for Single target and AOE, an Aetherflow usage skill and some debuffs. Throw in a crap heal for good meaure. And Ruin, obviously.

Scholar has 1 DoT and Ruin for DPS. A single target heal and and AOE heal. And 2 pets who I can't see a difference in now, and are pretty useless. 

Hmmm, I wonder which one I will main? I'll still do the Scholar job quests but no way am I walking round the world using that build at the moment. It's also not teaching you anything about mechanics needed later, which Summoner seems to be doing and keeping me vaguely busy in fights.

How do we go about setting up a cross server linkshell then? As I can't bear the Novice Network much longer, and I'm not up for hitting Moogle server queues right now.

MSQ quality has its ups and downs. Parts are thoroughly engaging and push the story forward in an interesting way, parts are nothing more than infuriating travel and fetch quests. You'll grow sick and tired of travelling to The Burning Sands for absolutely nonsensical reasons.

56 minutes ago, df0 said:

MSQ quality has its ups and downs. Parts are thoroughly engaging and push the story forward in an interesting way, parts are nothing more than infuriating travel and fetch quests. You'll grow sick and tired of travelling to The Burning Sands for absolutely nonsensical reasons.

With my home to set to Limsa though its pretty quick to get there. But annoying as you say already! 

Is the gameplay in Shadowbringers significantly better then? Because I'm half way through Stormblood and the quest design (and dungeon design up to this point) is as generic as it comes. The storytelling might be good (it has a lot of padding) but what you're actually doing is fairly boring most of the time.

Those quests were a bit dull, I'm a bit further on now (about half way through 2.3) and it's improved, do some of the Hildibrand side quest stuff as it's all really funny

1 hour ago, Takizawa said:

I've just reached this point... https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Seventh_Astral_Era_Quests

I'm not sure I have the willpower to carry on.

I'm in the minority but I really liked that section. It's the point where the storyline really kicks up a gear as you move towards Heavensward. Unfortunately a lot of the quests themselves are quite dull (talk/teleport/talk) especially at the start, but as you go on it really gets its hooks into you. There are some new dungeons and trials in there too to look forward to.

I'm currently at the equivalent section moving towards Stormblood and I'm really enjoying it.

10 hours ago, Pixelbark said:

How do we go about setting up a cross server linkshell then? As I can't bear the Novice Network much longer, and I'm not up for hitting Moogle server queues right now.

I'd be happy to do this, or at least join

14 minutes ago, Jonster said:

I'd be happy to do this, or at least join

This would be a great Idea, i'm on Omega but would love hook up with rllmuk folk again.

I have a few of you on my PSN friends list but I couldn't figure out how to do it the other night. I asked around and I think someone needs to start a cross server linkshell, then set up a group in party finder, locked with a password so only rllmuk folk can join, linkshell invites can be sent to people in the group.

Word of warning, I think once the LS is set up, it cancels itself if there aren't 2(?) members after I think, a couple of hours, so timing is key! Presumably once we have one set up with a couple of  people in it, jobs a good 'un.

Was just going to log in and have a quick play, but 1200 on the queue, I'll pass tonight. I assume it'll quieten down in a couple of weeks again. 

I need to figure Linkshells out, it seems to be in my chat box, but need to make it its own tab I think. I made the mistake of joining up to the Novices Network, and was bombarded with nonsense. Managed to leave that after I looked up instructions! I'll have a play about in the morning and see if I can work out how to do chat properly now I've attached a keyboard to the PS4

On 12/06/2019 at 20:03, wev said:

Okay, i've made a new Linkshell, its called Mukkers (because my mind is creatively barren right now), I don't know who is who within the old Linkshell's and/or if they want in to this one so let me know your character name (or send me a Tell on the game or whatever, I'm Reii Tali) 

If you want to add a tab to the chat log follow the arrows on these screenshots

Click here to add a new tab, a box should pop up allowing you to name it
Reii-Tali-12-06-2019-19-40-27.png

Then the cog takes you into the settings

Reii-Tali-12-06-2019-19-40-36.png
Reii-Tali-12-06-2019-19-40-43.png
Reii-Tali-12-06-2019-19-40-52.png
Reii-Tali-12-06-2019-19-41-02.png

@Vorgot this is how to put the Linkshell on a tab. 

56 minutes ago, wev said:

@Vorgot this is how to put the Linkshell on a tab. 

Right, sorted that out, cheers. 

On the chat I presume anything I type only goes to the currently selected channel, so I need to switch to Party when I go into a dungeon if I want peeps to communicate with me!

Very specific question: how do I add specific mounts to my hot bar? I’ve definitely done it in the past because I’ve got one on there, but the Mounts section of the menu only allows me to add one of the two Mount Roulettes which isn’t what I want. Can’t find anywhere in the menus where I can highlight and add individual mounts. 

23 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Very specific question: how do I add specific mounts to my hot bar? I’ve definitely done it in the past because I’ve got one on there, but the Mounts section of the menu only allows me to add one of the two Mount Roulettes which isn’t what I want. Can’t find anywhere in the menus where I can highlight and add individual mounts. 

Go into the Mount Guide. Then bring up the subcommands for the mount you want (I'm on PS4 so its square, not sure if you are PC). Should be an add to hotbar option. I only have one mount, but have set it this way

50 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

You can also add a macro to an input if you want. I'm not at home to get a screenshot at the moment but I have L3 set to mount my Chocobo (I have other mounts but always use Boco) when in out in the field and then if I click it in a city or dungeon it does Sprint. Only issue is it throws up an error "can't mount here"/"can't use sprint whilst mounted" or whatever when I use it and there's supposed to be a command I can put in to get around that but what I typed into the macro field yesterday doesn't seem to do it.

44 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Go into the Mount Guide. Then bring up the subcommands for the mount you want (I'm on PS4 so its square, not sure if you are PC). Should be an add to hotbar option. I only have one mount, but have set it this way

Yeah that doesn’t actually seem to work. Individual mounts just get “add to favourites”, not add to hotbar. Only the two roulette options have the option to add to hotbar. Maybe they changed it for some reason. 

21 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah that doesn’t actually seem to work. Individual mounts just get “add to favourites”, not add to hotbar. Only the two roulette options have the option to add to hotbar. Maybe they changed it for some reason. 

Thats really weird as I still have the option to do it

Zifa Thunoja 09_07_2019 11_39_11.jpg

Zifa Thunoja 09_07_2019 11_40_00.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hexx said:

You can turn that inventory grid off in bottom right if you wanted 

Might do that later, doesn't really get in the way though. My HUD takes up a fair amount of the screen as I have crappy eyes and am sat on the sofa, my lads think it's hilarious.

Your HUD looks no different to mine, what that says I don't know :lol:

i think that option appears because it's your Grand Company Chocobo.

scratch that. It appears on all my mounts, same with minions

2 hours ago, wev said:

I think I set everything to 140% except for the crossbar, which is 120 I think. Smaller than that and I really can't read it.

Spend almost a whole day crafting and gathering, which I have to say I found very relaxing. Want to try to get all my crafters and gatherers to 20 so and then try and organise my inventory between retainers and saddlebags. Tragic, but I really enjoy this item management stuff. I do wish they had storage that you could put your crafting stuff into and be able to use it without having to move it to the inventory. I'd even pay extra for that, a big crafting/gathering box that items can be used from when you are in an inn room maybe.

4 hours ago, wev said:

i think that option appears because it's your Grand Company Chocobo.

scratch that. It appears on all my mounts, same with minions

That's so odd. I've checked it again and it definitely doesn't work for me. I can summon them or favourite them, that's all. This is on PS4.

Oh well, I can live with it, but there must be some reason behind it.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

That's so odd. I've checked it again and it definitely doesn't work for me. I can summon them or favourite them, that's all. This is on PS4.

Oh well, I can live with it, but there must be some reason behind it.

Thats really bizarre. There must be a setting you have used somewhere else thats stopping it, but who knows what it is. 

There's all sorts of odd design decisions in FFXIV, such as I can't invite people from other linkshells I'm on into another linkshell but I can invite them if they're on my Friends list (in game, not PSN or whatever)