rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

34 minutes ago, wev said:

@Vorgot

On your last point that's exactly it. You'll be aiming for a particular job late on. E.g. I started as a Lancer with the ultimate goal of being a Dragoon (coz their armours fucking awesome) and had to take on a couple of other classes/jobs to get there as some skills crossover (I think I have Blood Drive and Life Surge). But I have a few others, all of which I've found out are DPS :lol: plus the gathering/crafting classes which are a nice distraction (I sometimes play via remote play and go fishing whilst watching the F1 or something).

that Base.com offer is a steal, although as @Hexxhas discovered with his copy of Stormblood, you might have to contact Square-Enix regarding the keys to get more upto date ones. I'm waiting to see what I get for my birthday on Tuesday, if I get some Amazon vouchers off someone I might put it towards the latest expansion whichll get me everything in one hit I believe.

On your Character menu, where you equip your gear, you can create sets of equipment. I have these mapped to one of my crossbar pallettes so I can change between stuff easily.

The Hunting log is there as additional means of gaining EXP and yeah as you level up you'll gain another page and so on. The same applies to your crafting classes, as you hit certain levels you'll get more stuff added to your craft list.

I've just unlocked Blue Mage, which I think is from Heavensward(?) and am intrigued in following that line, if only for the dapper uniform, but then Stormblood has Red Mage which is even more dapper. 

The new patch has a class that uses Gunblades (from FFVIII)

Cheers

The jobs one I guess will require some planning to get there, but I'll worry about that much, much later! Just got out into the field a bit, headed to Summerford farm and it is a lovely looking game. Blue skies all day! Love it. 

Looks like the new expansion has it all in one go, which is nice, but no 30 day sub. I'll grab the complete edition now and then it'll be a long while before I'm ready for the third expansion anyway! 

Giving me a warm feeling so far, and I really like how they've made it work on a gamepad. Being able to rearrange everything on the HUD is great as well. I have my UI pretty big as I struggle with some games and tiny text but it's all readable and the UI isn't in the way at all. I used to have so many addons installed on WoW, the screen looks positively uncluttered on this. But I'm enjoying the MMO vibe as well.

10 hours ago, wev said:

@Vorgot

On your last point that's exactly it. You'll be aiming for a particular job late on. E.g. I started as a Lancer with the ultimate goal of being a Dragoon (coz their armours fucking awesome) and had to take on a couple of other classes/jobs to get there as some skills crossover (I think I have Blood Drive and Life Surge). But I have a few others, all of which I've found out are DPS :lol: plus the gathering/crafting classes which are a nice distraction (I sometimes play via remote play and go fishing whilst watching the F1 or something).

that Base.com offer is a steal, although as @Hexxhas discovered with his copy of Stormblood, you might have to contact Square-Enix regarding the keys to get more upto date ones. I'm waiting to see what I get for my birthday on Tuesday, if I get some Amazon vouchers off someone I might put it towards the latest expansion whichll get me everything in one hit I believe.

On your Character menu, where you equip your gear, you can create sets of equipment. I have these mapped to one of my crossbar pallettes so I can change between stuff easily.

The Hunting log is there as additional means of gaining EXP and yeah as you level up you'll gain another page and so on. The same applies to your crafting classes, as you hit certain levels you'll get more stuff added to your craft list.

I've just unlocked Blue Mage, which I think is from Heavensward(?) and am intrigued in following that line, if only for the dapper uniform, but then Stormblood has Red Mage which is even more dapper. 

The new patch has a class that uses Gunblades (from FFVIII)

You might wanna save off on blue mage. It's not a "real" job, but more a set of sidequests for fun.

It may eventually turn into a "proper job", but at this time it's limited to level 50

8 hours ago, Hexx said:

Red Mage :wub:

I think that's where I would like to head for (as I get waaay ahead of myself as usual). Fun playstyle and a funky look.

Have ordered the complete edition this morning, but will hold onto the code until I hit 35. I can't see any benefit to using it before then apart from access to the Market which I would presume is irrelevant whilst levelling.

Are the crafting classes worth getting into? In WoW endgame I could turn a tidy profit on the auction house with some crafted stuff.

I've barely used the market, maybe occasionally when I couldn't be bothered to go gathering for specific items I needed to craft something, but that's about it.

As for Blue Mage, that's a shame

Bit more play...I really like Red Mage. Pretty Pew and OOT flourishes.

MSQ down....got a bit silly at the end as I have to do EVERYTHING while the others stay at the base "analyzing intelligence"...

Like all the cut scenes put your front and center of the raid group. Adds to the "it's your story" feel they're doing so well.

• Upvote 1

Yes red mage is super fun, much more movement than the turret like black mage and the melee moves are a pretty fun mechanic to build up to. I am about to hit 60 soon think I am at the end of Heavensward's story, so loads to go.

Will grab the new linkshell from Wev when I am on, my character is Stabasco Saurus the only other active member of the old Albion linkshell it seems.

Yup, @PC Master Race is also a Leader so can invite people (I think you can only have one Master so if there's a point where I'm not going to be online for an extended period of time I'll be sure to transfer it to someone who's on often). I'd also said I'd make @bcofn a Leader too 

1 hour ago, wev said:

I'm on now, anyone know who Yavie Este on the AlbionJR link shell is?

That would be me.

I think I'm to the end of 2(that's Realm Reborn right?).X - although that's more based on "It's gotta be over soon, how big could it be?" rather than anything else

Things have picked up a lot

Just done Saint Shvia

Way beyond the basic good/dark story of the main bit - and is feel proper "Final Fantasy" now with different storylines/

Is there some logic to the new classes starting at 60 instead of 70? Unless I'm missing something (which is possible) doesn't that mean when the expansion launches you'll be going back through the previous expansions content to level up? Just seems a bit odd.

40 minutes ago, Radish said:

Is there some logic to the new classes starting at 60 instead of 70? Unless I'm missing something (which is possible) doesn't that mean when the expansion launches you'll be going back through the previous expansions content to level up? Just seems a bit odd.

It’s always been that way. New jobs start 20 levels below a new expansion’s level cap. It’s because it enables players to get used to the new job’s skills and playstyle rather than fumbling their way through the new content before knowing what they’re doing and potentially causing problems and wipes in group progression. At least I believe that’s the idea behind it anyway.

If you’re willing to wait you could level up Dancer or Gunbreaker to 70 before starting the Shadowbringers main story. There’s one or two in my FC who are gonna do that but the vast majority will play through Shadowbringers with their current main job and then go back to level up the new ones.

Well the end of ARR escalated a bit :lol:

Like they repeated warnings "there are a lot of cutscenes next make sure you have time" :)

Enjoying this now, nice to play a decent MMO again and I'm getting ti grips with the systems. The way they have mapped controls to the dualshock is really good. Level 14 Arcanist and got my code for the game plus the 2 expansions but obviously holding back on using it until I'm at 35. Just finishing up my level 10 class quest then I presume I can start up crafting classes as well. 

Am interested to see how it goes once I am in groups for dungeons, think I'll stick with DPS to start with and then maybe try some healing or tanking later. I'm finding switching targets a bit tricky on the controller so don't want to have people relying on me to stay alive quite yet.

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

Am interested to see how it goes once I am in groups for dungeons, think I'll stick with DPS to start with and then maybe try some healing or tanking later. I'm finding switching targets a bit tricky on the controller so don't want to have people relying on me to stay alive quite yet.

Hold L2 and press R1 and R2 to switch target on enemies. 

Up and down on the d-pad to switch target on party members.

With a little practice you’ll be targeting whatever you want within a fraction of a second. Although I have several DPS jobs at lv70 my main is a Scholar and I find healing just so much more engaging in this game. Early dungeons ease you into healing and tanking very gently and you’ll have significantly shorter queue times too. Don’t be afraid, go for it!

I didn't know that about switching targets... Although holding L1 then using L2/R2 sounds like a faff, I think you can remap it all anyway?

47 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Hold L2 and press R1 and R2 to switch target on enemies. 

Up and down on the d-pad to switch target on party members.

With a little practice you’ll be targeting whatever you want within a fraction of a second. Although I have several DPS jobs at lv70 my main is a Scholar and I find healing just so much more engaging in this game. Early dungeons ease you into healing and tanking very gently and you’ll have significantly shorter queue times too. Don’t be afraid, go for it!

I'll try that with the targeting, thanks. 

I tanked and healed in WoW so I'll give it a go at some point, particularly the healing side which I really enjoyed in WoW but only got to pretty late on.

So I unlocked fishing and cooking, but then realised all my clothes were Arcanist only. So poor Zifa had to do some fishing in her undies. Is there a merchant in Limsa who sells basic gear? Couldn't find one in Hawkers Alley

1 hour ago, wev said:

I didn't know that about switching targets... Although holding L1 then using L2/R2 sounds like a faff, I think you can remap it all anyway?

It works well. Although I have about 500 days of muscle memory thanks to playing FFXI on a DS2. 

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

So I unlocked fishing and cooking, but then realised all my clothes were Arcanist only. So poor Zifa had to do some fishing in her undies. Is there a merchant in Limsa who sells basic gear? Couldn't find one in Hawkers Alley

Yeah there’s a Battlecraft Supplier called Iron Thunder who’s just down from the main aetheryte in Limsa on the right hand side. He sells Disciple of the Hand/Land gear. Further down is the Fieldcraft Supplier called Syneyhil who sells tools for crafter and gatherer classes.

• Upvote 1