Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Oh, they've stated it was flawed for some time now, a lot of people had their heads on the block for it.

Yeah but they can never say it enough, it's just encouraging to see this big open admission the game was so rubbish we're making a new one. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out I don't know if such a thing has been done with an MMO before. Seen as E3 is a milestone I'm expecting we're going to be seeing a lot of this game in the coming year, they really need to get it over that it's basically a new one and just ignore the previous metascore, but we didn't.

To be fair, they did manage to sort out a lot of the crud from XI. (eventually...)

Eventually is the problem, also ignoring that they did it in the first place, but I'm mildly excited to see what they do with version 2.0. So far The Old Republic really isn't doing too much for me but the prospect of a new FFXI is very appealing.

That screenshot of a HUD looks quite good actually. It doesn't look that confusing (and I've never played the game before), it just looks like quite standard mmo stuff - admittedly with a bit more on screen than personally like. But if you took out the combat log in the bottom left, and changed the thing in the top left to something more grid-like (assuming there is one), it would look good.

That, and the possibility of a complete rework has got me intrigued again. I contemplated buying it the other week but decided to resub to Rift until TOR comes out, but FF14 is starting to look like a good option again. I just hope they don't kill it by charging for subs again too quickly.

Yeah but they can never say it enough, it's just encouraging to see this big open admission the game was so rubbish we're making a new one. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out I don't know if such a thing has been done with an MMO before. Seen as E3 is a milestone I'm expecting we're going to be seeing a lot of this game in the coming year, they really need to get it over that it's basically a new one and just ignore the previous metascore, but we didn't.

Eventually is the problem, also ignoring that they did it in the first place, but I'm mildly excited to see what they do with version 2.0. So far The Old Republic really isn't doing too much for me but the prospect of a new FFXI is very appealing.

If TOR isn't doing it for you (and to be fair, it's doing nothing for me as well. I wasn't looking for WoW in space with story trees), have you checked out Guild Wars 2? It's looking REALLY impressive.

If TOR isn't doing it for you (and to be fair, it's doing nothing for me as well. I wasn't looking for WoW in space with story trees), have you checked out Guild Wars 2? It's looking REALLY impressive.

Yes, that's probably one of the reasons TOR isn't doing too much for me as Guild Wars 2 is about top of my most wanted list, it really is looking special, everything I want in an MMO and no monthly fee.

Good point about the Vita, even if you could only do simple things like crafting or farming when you're out and about, or getting your character to certain locations so you can just jump right in when you get back, lots of interesting ways you could use it.

They've actually been working on two games, the existing XIV (referred to as "the game") and an entirely separate "new" XIV, which we've not seen yet. Just how "new" it is remains to be seen, but from this part it sounds like a significant overhaul, requiring new client software and new servers:

Well that certainly explains the sluggish progress compared to other MMOs, combined with all the statements that they were throwing loads of resources at it. I'd written those off as PR bumf.

It's smart. People were banking on the PS3 launch as being a successful relaunch, and had the game continued with it's glacial update rate those people would have been - frankly, delusional. They couldn't pull the game off the market, but working on an overhaul offline and then launching it is the best alternative - it saves them the hassle of having to work on a live system, and the PR face for an immediate "we fucked up".

They could actually successfully relaunch this, this way.

• 3 months later...

Last I heard, they were remaking the entire game. FFXIV "Version 2.0" is due out at some point this year, not sure when. In the meantime, they've re-enabled subscription fees, so any players they do have are paying for a product which will be relaunched sooner or later. It's madness.

In its current form it's pretty much dead, we're just left waiting on more news about its rebirth! ...and more importantly how owners of the original version stand once it's re-released.

You never know if the "update" is free you could have got yourself an absolute bargain there!

Last I heard, they were remaking the entire game. FFXIV "Version 2.0" is due out at some point this year, not sure when. In the meantime, they've re-enabled subscription fees, so any players they do have are paying for a product which will be relaunched sooner or later. It's madness.

Oh shit, didnt know this.... I'd better check I cancelled everything! :unsure:

Could you use the codes from those new copies to bolster a subscription, do you think? I would imagine they don't stack, but you never know.

Pretty sure I've still got an £8 pre-order for the PS3 version from Amazon, should that ever see the light of day.

Oh shit, didnt know this.... I'd better check I cancelled everything! :unsure:

You should be fine, you need to have specifically chosen a subscription plan to be charged:

Please note that if you have not selected a subscription plan by January 5th, 2012, your service account will be temporarily suspended. If you wish to continue to play FINAL FANTASY XIV beyond January 6th, 2012, you will have the opportunity to set up a subscription plan starting from December 16th, 2011 via the Square Enix Account Management System.

There are loads of details on their Lodestone site, including official design documents:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/index.html

EDIT: Ah, according the their roadmap, the new version isn't scheduled for release until the end of this year. The first we'll see of it is at the upcoming E3. As for how "new" it is, apparently since last June and until next April work is being done on "Map Rebuilding, Server Layout Redesign, UI Redesign, and Engine Rebuilding". Following that is a six month period of "Existing content porting". That sounds like they plan to rebuild the client and server software from scratch, but keep as many of the existing assets as possible. It'll be a different game but it'll look the same.

From their Systems and Content plan, they promise a lot:

Characters

Complete redesign of character creation screens and process.

Addition of Miqo'te males, Highland Hyur and Roegadyn females for version 2.0.

Creation of more character customization options (e.g. , hairstyle).

Ability to walk and view character in game environments and use emotes as part of creation process.

Expansion of Armoury, focused on classes and jobs, prior to version 2.0.

Jobs to progress by clearing quests rather than gaining EXP.

UI

Complete redesign of user interface for version 2.0 currently underway.

Customization of both gamepad/keyboard and mouse/keyboard configurations.

Global standard for MMO UI when using mouse/keyboard to navigate in-game windows. Will not require a

manual for explanation.

Drag and drop functionality, item name/icon display toggle to be added to gear interface.

Release of a "mannequin" system for one-touch changing of gear sets.

Gear equipped to mannequins will not take up inventory space.

Mannequins available can be increased via certain quests and battle content.

Markets

Improvement of search function, release of auction house features, measures to stimulate in-game

economy after patch 1.20.

Complete redesign of markets into a system incorporating retainers and auction house elements. Planned

for version 2.0.

Enemies

Enemy leader and group systems to be removed before version 2.0.

Enemy "call for help" system released in patch 1.19, causing nearby enemies to link when called.

Release of a system to calculate enemy strength based on party size and member levels. Enemy "call for

help" system to be adjusted in patch 1.20 so only appropriate enemy types link.

New summoning ability available to certain jobs and classes after version 2.0.

New taming ability available to certain jobs and classes after version 2.0.

Release timing of the above abilities is to coincide with addition of new jobs and classes.

Summoned and tamed pets will not count as party members, and will develop over time. Release of a

"companion" system for these pet NPCs to fight alongside PCs.

Incapacitation of body parts for boss fights, encouraging party members to focus on single targets for more

engaging battles

Items

Examination of a system to introduce legacy FINAL FANTASY items.

Legacy items will have unique graphics and stats.

Obtainable only by players fulfilling certain attribute requirements after first "applying" for them.

Requirements for obtaining classic items, as well as their graphics, to be altered in future updates.

Appearance of items arlready obtained will change.

Planned for after version 2.0. Further details to be announced at a future date

In-game Areas

Redesign of all non-instanced areas for version 2.0.

Planning to convert all dungeons into instanced raids. Release of content finder (see below) to help players

find groups quickly and easily.

Two new dungeons to be added in patch 1.21. More dungeons to follow after version 2.0.

Release of treasure maps to be discoverable by Disciples of the Land. Planned for after version 2.0.

Maps to reveal location of chests and dungeons. Dungeons to be new content designed for a combination

of classes from all Disciplines. Planned for after version 2.0.

Main Storyline

Release of a feature to replay cutscenes.

Planned for after version 2.0 due to cutscenes requiring retouching as part of overhauls to all in-game

maps.

In-game voice in all four languages (Japanese, English, French, and German) after version 2.0.

Seventh Umbral Era storyline to give way to new storyline after version 2.0, and will not be replayable.

Battle System

Enemy claiming system done away with, and new system released that gives loot rights to first attacking

party only.

Above system and new battle algorithms in-game as of patch 1.19. Future algorithm balancing to continue

for version 2.0.

Balance and release of crowd control system with firm control of status timers (e.g., sleep, paralysis, blind)

after stabilization of battle algorithms.

Two PvP venues, Coliseum and Frontlines, to be released after version 2.0. Unique zones to be created so

as not to affect non-participating players. Release of PvP-specific abilities, gear, and ranking.

Support for multi-party alliances for large-scale content to be released together with the above.

Synthesis

Basis of new recipes released in patch 1.19. New additions to continue to be made prior to version 2.0.

New high-end recipes to have high levels of difficulty, not only in terms of recipe complexity, but also

crafting location requirements (e.g., facilities within a kobold stronghold).

Materia released in patch 1.19, with future plans including release of additional materia slot items, materia

to mitigate requirements to equip gear, further system expansions, and additional items.

Release of an item notebook after version 2.0 to log all recipes and crafted items for consolidated, easy

viewing.

Release of a "signature" feature for version 2.0 enabling players to put their names on items they craft.

Gathering

Disciple of the Land Stealth ability released in patch 1.19, enabling gatherers to remain concealed from

enemies in the field.

Release of an item notebook after version 2.0 to log gathering level and item information for consolidated,

easy viewing.

Release of treasure chests that may appear randomly at any gathering node.

Chests to yield treasure maps that may only be viewed by Disciples of the Land.

Company System

Release of in-game player communities known as Free Companies. Planned for version 2.0.

Free Companies can be formed by as few as 4 players by submitting an application to a Grand Company.

Free Company-specific content to earn points used to improve company rank, gain access to personal

estates, perform cooperative synthesis. Planned for four-phase release after version 2.0.

Mounts

Chocobo mounts released in patch 1.19.

Future plans include chocobo gear, rearing, battle, mounted content, and shared chocobos, to be released

sequentially after version 2.0.

Plans to release other forms of transportation.

Communication

Release of a delivery system and mail system for version 2.0.

Delivery system to enable sending of items to safehouses and other players.

Items can be sent to other players regardless of their online status.

Mail system to enable sending of short in-game messages to other players.

Messages can be sent to other players regardless of their online status.

PC search function to be completely overhauled, and a search UI added with various functions (e.g., Free

Company searches).

Release of a content finder system after version 2.0.

Content finder to allow input of information such as class, job, and level, to find other players across all

worlds for groups for dungeons, instanced raids, primal battles, etc.

Further details to be released as they become available

Achievements & Trophies

Achievement system to recognize and reward accomplishments in battle, synthesis, gathering, etc.

Release of additional achievements in future patches.

Various types of achievement rewards, such as titles and items.

Planned release of initial achievement system in patch 1.20, with over 300 achievements.

New Content

Below are the main content additions planned for after version 2.0. New content announcements will be

made via patch notes.

New primal battles.

Summoning system that awards the ability to summon primals to Free Companies that defeat them.

Campaign of battles against the dragon horde in the defense of Ishgard, with participation possible as any of

the four Disciplines.

Two forms of PvP, the Coliseum and the Frontlines, to be released sequentially.

Large-scale instanced raids of the Crystal Tower and a vast labyrinth. Further expansions planned for

future patches.

Wandering Odin primal, who grows in strength and drops greater treasures with each defeat.

Further details on all of the above to be released in the days leading up to version 2.0 release.

Crikey! 97p? I'd have some of those for work colleagues if I spot them..

I can nip back and get some if you want? Have to pay postage, mind.

So they released the game, it was fucked and they're building everything but the look of it from scratch? Wow. That's pretty fucked up. May as well leave it sealed till the end of the year then.

• 2 months later...

Is anybody still playing this?

I picked up a copy because I had some spare change on a voucher so it was basically free,

been following the updates on the lodestone and it looks to me like its heading in a good direction, but having not spent time in the world itself its hard to tell.

• 1 month later...

I'm not dead yet, but I do seem to be called FF X|V now. Some pictures of version 2.0 and more here. It's actually looking pretty good, a bit like an HD FFXI which I would have been happy with way back when it was actually released. I could be tempted to give it another go, seen as I already own it anyway and Mithra Paladins...

An interview on the PS blog about the PS3 version, say they expect it to be released with the 2.0 update this winter.

battle3.jpg

battle1.jpg

battle2.jpg

div1.jpg

creation1.jpg

• 2 months later...