IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

Are the ques still an issue? I played this many years ago on PC but never really got into it, made it to level 20 or so.

Is it possible to skip levels to get to the newer expansions or are leveling the only option?

No, worst I've seen in 1k during peak hours. Couple of weeks ago it was 6k.

edit: You can not skip levels but you can ease the pain of going through the Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) which is mandatory to unlock content and make progress for the price of 18.50 quid.

https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-gb/product/804

Do know, this does not increase your level but increasing that number is easy enough. Dungeons, FATES etc.

If you start from scratch there's a metric ton of Story (MSQ) that you have to go through: there's the base game (A Realm Reborn) + 3 expansion packs (Heavensward, Stormblood, Shadowbringers).

PROS:

Get to the exciting Endwalker content immediately.

Experience that "new expansion" feeling.

Not going through the awful story (subjective).

CONS:

You'll miss out on the exciting story (subjective).

You'll miss that natural learning curve.

@koefoed You can also level skip a preferred job if you prefer: https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-gb/category/7/2

I would think carefully about what it is you want to do before you skip though.

Btw, slogging through the lower levels doesn’t teach you how to play at 80/90, either way you will need to dedicate yourself to learning (job guides, ‘performance monitoring’, etc.).

The story is fucking amazing, but it does build and continues to back reference stuff from ARR and the early expansions into the very end of the end game. If you don't pay attention it will be 'boring' but if you keep tabs on who the characters are then it is extremely enjoyable.

There is, of course, a bit of filler quests where you end up ferrying berries between continents or delivering sandwiches to soldiers ( having just killed a literal god) but personally I never found those *that* bad (it is a jrpg after all) and felt they were just an attempt at pacing... you cannot be killing gods every day!

Also there is so much to do that if you do get fatigued reading (as there is not enough voiced stuff) then you can go level a crafter or gather some logs or something to break things up.

I can see it being a bit daunting at level 20 looking at the fun those at 90 are having, but they say the XP has been boosted and so it should not take too long to level up to the heady heights!

44 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

The story is fucking amazing, but it does build and continues to back reference stuff from ARR and the early expansions into the very end of the end game. If you don't pay attention it will be 'boring' but if you keep tabs on who the characters are then it is extremely enjoyable.

There is, of course, a bit of filler quests where you end up ferrying berries between continents or delivering sandwiches to soldiers ( having just killed a literal god) but personally I never found those *that* bad (it is a jrpg after all) and felt they were just an attempt at pacing... you cannot be killing gods every day!

Also there is so much to do that if you do get fatigued reading (as there is not enough voiced stuff) then you can go level a crafter or gather some logs or something to break things up.

I can see it being a bit daunting at level 20 looking at the fun those at 90 are having, but they say the XP has been boosted and so it should not take too long to level up to the heady heights!

To add balance, I completely disagree with all of the above. The paper thin story is as interesting as a wet sack of gravel yet is treated like it's a second coming of story telling. See it like someone applying for their first job and really expanding the little bit of experience they have on their resume. A lot of words without saying anything. I hate it. Same for the sheer amount of vapid filler nonsense quests.

I do love everything else. I love the parts where I get to play.

My genuine advice: start from scratch and get invested. I realise I am one of the very few if not the only one here who hates the story and story telling so what do I know :) Give it a chance.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

To add balance, I completely disagree with all of the above. The paper thin story is as interesting as a wet sack of gravel yet is treated like it's a second coming of story telling.

This is literally the worst take I have seen on anything all week. And I saw some Rodders posts in the politics folder earlier.

@df0 Yep certainly interest from out side, I will poke our FC and see how many want to do it and when. I think we have 5 at 90 currently with one more on the way. Although we would need another healer from somewhere, a couple of others posted interest on the discord as well so perhaps they can help with this. Will try and get something together for maybe next week.

I just got to level 20 and am a bit tired of the kill 6 beasts/deliver this note gameplay.

I'm about to do my first dungeon I think, need to go to some noob training centre.

The noob training gives some advice and practice on how to handle mechanics you will see in dungeons (don't stand in orange... kill the things) and also some nice loot... including an XP boosting ring if you do all the training exercises!

afaik you can do it any time, and it is possible not to do it, but it is worth doing. you can do it from the training guy in any Inn, or in the house of noobs near the first dungeon.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone fancy going through the whole of the Stormblood Omega 8 man stuff unsynced for the story? I took a long break just after it came out and didnt come back until just before Shadowbringers.

I think back to the MASSIVE FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS that Second Coil Turn 4 was back in the day, and now I spent about 2 minutes stood there face tanking the mechanics and the remainder actually going pew pew. :lol: 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

For the story, fuck no. I’m there just to get em done.

edit: I’m sure @Nimmeland his gang are game.

You get to fight the

Spoiler

Phantom Train

though.

Spoiler

No idea if there is any suplex action

4 hours ago, layten said:

Does anyone fancy going through the whole of the Stormblood Omega 8 man stuff unsynced for the story? I took a long break just after it came out and didnt come back until just before Shadowbringers.

You’ll easily get a duty finder party for all of them. 
Some quite fun fights that aren’t too hard with echo etc 

Is it possible to 'reset' the story for those kind of side quests? I've done Omega already, but pretty sure I can only revisit the battles in duty finder, or watch only a few of the cutscenes in the magical book. I would quite fancy starting it all again fresh, with all the dialogue, cutscenes etc between each fight.

Also the music for the main 'hub' area of the Omega quests is one of my favourite tunes in the game!

18 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Is it possible to 'reset' the story for those kind of side quests? I've done Omega already, but pretty sure I can only revisit the battles in duty finder, or watch only a few of the cutscenes in the magical book. I would quite fancy starting it all again fresh, with all the dialogue, cutscenes etc between each fight.

Also the music for the main 'hub' area of the Omega quests is one of my favourite tunes in the game!

Yeah they're all in New Game+ if you've completed them already.

I was planning on quitting this for a while after finishing the pre-Endwalker quest lines as our kid was due but it turns out that the MSQ is an ideal night shift paternity leave activity. Shout out to the Trust system for guilt-free quitting mid-dungeon if the baby wakes up.

Mid-Endwalker spoilers:

Spoiler

Man, this is excellent so far. The whole level 82-83 section from rounding up the troops, arriving in Garlemald, those quests at Camp Broken Glass where you see just how much the normal Garleans fear you, the Anima dungeon and then the Zodiark fight were all fantastic. I am pleasantly surprised that both Fandaniel and Zodiark are dead (or at least appear to be) and we're not even at the halfway point of the MSQ! Very excited to see what comes next. This beats the Shadowbringers MSQ at this point by miles, I reckon. 

I also am glad that the MSQ exp has forced me to commit to AST for trials and not take the easier DPS option I had when I had two jobs at the current MSQ level. I really enjoyed the pressure of keeping everyone alive during the Zodiark fight. 

Almost done with the MSQ now. Level 89, just arrived at (what looks like) the final zone and have my fancy new set of artifact armour. There is no job in the game that comes close to the consistently lush artifact armour and effect animations that Astrologian gets 😍

ast-1.thumb.PNG.da51f71cc068ac86d3e8c9f62454ba7f.PNG

ast-2.thumb.PNG.accc36e61b5ea138c8e63697e7b05ae9.PNG

ast-3.thumb.PNG.dab28b2f9d1a4b3788f396c3c7bc4fbd.PNG

The Heavensward, Stormblood and Shadowbringers sets were all bangers too. 

Come on lads, lets see your characters.