IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

I could play this game forever if real life didn’t get in the way. Spent today and yesterday tanking in dungeons for the first time and really enjoyed it. Got DRK from 30 to 40 with no disasters/culpable deaths. Weirdly the biggest pressure at this point is leading the way in the less linear ARR dungeons that I haven’t done in months 😅

Also tried Botanist as I’ve never had a go at a disciple of the land job. It’s incredibly relaxing and the rapid levelling and checking off of the logs really pushes the right parts of my lizard brain. Gimme those sweet achievement endorphins. 

Are they taking the piss with this server thing now. I can't even quickly make soft boiled eggs with toast without being booted. 

Absolute shambles like. Booted, 2400th in queue. Oh well, you will just have to wait 2 hours minimum because you couldn't make eggs and toast, then eat them quick enough. 

Managed to get in today. Queue was 2,500… took almost 2 hours from 5:20pm till 7:13pm. I just left the PS5 on whilst I lounged on the sofa watching TV occasionally flicking over to check the progress and wiggle the analogue sticks around.

Literally just stopped playing now. Trying to get through the post-credits Stormbringers MSQ quests. It’s soooo good. I understand now why people have been saying that this is the best FF game in years. If they keep pumping out content for this then I doubt I’ll need another mainline FF game again :wub: 

So now most of us are 560+, anyone wanna do something? Every so often a message like this pops up, and it never amounts to anything. May I propose:

The first Trial EX? I tried several times via Party Finder but the combination of no voice-chat and "I did not watch a guide where do I stand lol" makes it rather mind numbing.

What are some of the good raids to do away from the MSQ’s then? I looked up the Ivalice/Rabanastre stuff because I thought it would be some delicious FF12 fanservice, but it’s more about FF Tactics which I haven’t played (yet!).

I also started out doing some stuff involving a cartoony Chocobo and teleporting to some realm where I fought FF5 bosses (again, lost on me having not yet played 5), but I’m lead to believe you get to fight Kefka from FF6 at the end of that whole thing, maybe potentially even only on a harder level, like an EX or something?

Are those things even raids? I just did them with randoms for a bit, neither to completion. Tbh I was focusing on mainlining the MSQ’s with Endwalker looming, in the vein hope I might catch up with all the expansions in time to join everyone else when the new hotness hit, but I’m just now halfway through the Post-Shadowbringers patches, and definitely needing a break before I start Endwalker in the new year.

Oh I’m not really concerned about not getting the references, I was just handpicking the above because they seemed particularly relevant for me to try. I saw references to Rabanastre and thought, oh I could go some 12 nostalgia, and I heard that Kefka was in there, and he’s my favourite series villain, so set out to do that, but there’s still a bit to get through before I can fight him. Parked it to focus on MSQ’s.

Are the above indeed what would be classed as raids? They were unlocked following specific side quests, as I’m sure you all know.

Remember, I’m the +350 hour-deep n00b who’s been living in this world all this past year and still hasn’t a fucking clue what any of it means 🤪

The cartoony chocobo (Alpha... best boi) is the Omega raids, and doing them before Endwalker is advised (if you are not skipping cutscenes etc) and is a 'normal raid' each expansion has a 'normal raid' series which is 8 man (a full team) content and the extreme versions (Savage) are the core 'difficult' content in the game.

Rabanastre etc are 'Alliance raids' where 3 teams of 8 go through the content. Again each expansion has one, and they generally a bit more orthogonal to the ongoing main plot. The Shadowbringers series is a colab with NieR for example.

There are also 'Trials' which are also 8 man stuff, they have 'extreme' versions that are a bit tougher, and an intro to the type of mechanics you will see in Savage, and when done on release help gear up for Savage raiding. Trials (eg Titania in Shadowbringers) are often part of the MSQ, or on shorter but relevant side quest chains.

In the game quest markers with a blue cross tend to unlock new things to do, like trials, optional dungeons and raids. If you clear up them you will end up unlocking all the content.

I find it hard to know what is helpful to write... it is all worth doing and I don't know what is the best order! I know a streamer who is doing things in strict patch order and that does not seem optimal... and of course knowing what to pick up without having done it is hard... also some blue cross quests unlock something like the weather people in 20 seconds... others are a week of content and no real way of knowing before you start!

Amazing, very helpful and informative. I can see me dabbling in some of that stuff for a long while once I’m fully caught up in MSQ business / Endwalker. It’s a great game to relax to after work, so the prospect of just having heaps more stuff to do makes me feel warm and fuzzy. It sometimes feels a bit overwhelming, or the prospect of levelling another job or whatever can feel daunting, but it’s something to chip away at while I unwind I suppose.

• The 'side' raids like Omega are really good and all come with their own storylines and characters. There are a few more that you haven't mentioned @Calashnikov which are definitely worth checking out, if you want locations for quest starts I can look it up for you.
  • There's also the Hildebrand quirky comedy storyline, completely whacky but entertaining, that begins in Uldah's main strip I believe, and the story continues with new quests for 2 expansions.
  • Then there's the Gold Saucer, you can go down the rabbit hole with Chocobo racing there, the hourly events, minion battles, mini games etc. 
  • There's a quest where you fight Odin which is pretty cool, set in the ARR timeline.
  • There are number of optional ARR dungeons which are quite easy to miss along with the Odin quest, keep an eye out for those blue quest markers.
  • If you like grindy dungeon type content there is Halls of the Dead in ARR (did i get the name right?) and Heaven on High in Stormblood, where you can use any job and get exp for them.
  • Similar to this is Eureka (Stormblood) and Bozja (Shadowbringers) which are self contained old skool MMO type areas, where you need to party up and grind through fates, unique bosses and their own storylines. Eureka is supposed to be very grindy and hard (intentionally), but Bozja is quite good and has its own cool storyline, bosses and cutscenes. These are where you get some Relic weapons as well if you can be arsed grinding enough, though even doing the base content here will get you some cool early stage Relic weapons.
  • You can grind for other Relic weapons doing questlines in ARR and Heavensward, but they mostly involve doing very grindy tasks like repeated Fates and bosses with no big storyline behind them.
  • On a similar line is a scratch card you can fill out from a girl in Idyllshire, Heavensward. This earns you MGP I believe as well as other cosmetic unlocks. Its quite cool as it requires you to beat bosses/dungeons at different difficulites (randomly selected) and resets every week or two, so once you've unlocked it you can keep doing it and filling out the scratchcard as you do normal side content, roulettes etc.
  • Crafting/Gathering jobs are very in depth in this game with their own skills/progression and questlines. You can earn unique rewards and contribute to collective building projects (there was one in Heavensward which just recently finished on most servers and a new one coming in Endwalker apparently). Some people spend hundreds of hours just crafting in this game. Fishing as well is quite involved taking you around the world and with special fishing trips on a boat (essentially a fishing raid, lol)
  • Extreme Trials are definitely worth trying, and teaming up with randoms is feasible for it if you don't mind putting a chunk of time aside for learning them. They are a good challenge (some are really hard!) and a lot more mechanically involved than the original fights.
  • Get your own apartment or room in your FC house and decorate it. Go to residential areas and run around them going into peoples houses and wondering at their cool interior designs!

Of course there is more but those are the main ones I can think of. For me, I would do every side raid in the game, Bozja relic quest, Hildebrand, Odin, pick up the scratchcard, try some Extremes and give some of the crafting/gathering a shot.

Did I miss anything major folks?

The "grindy dungeon" is called Palace of the Dead @Alan Stock

It's great, though it's a good idea to have your tank or healer be experienced in that content (though iirc you don't have to have a tank or healer, it just makes things easier if you do).

I think my group, when we last played, got to floor 181 and it was an utter bastard! (But great fun).

I love that you dont have to have any knowledge of other games in the series to enjoy this but that it you do it's chock full of things for you to lose your shit over (like the other games also do), like yesterday on Endwalker, around level 84 

Spoiler

fighting enemies in the Burrow area on the Moon and it starts playing an old skool battle theme, I though it was 4's at first but it didn't sound like it had the bass line

if you have done it then in your Duty finder it will have a green tick.

Also in you 'j'ournal you can look to see if you have done the quests leading up to it (if you know them)

The Khloe book gives half a level of xp a week for more or less nothing so is worth doing. Also keep an eye on the  Challenge Log for other weekly repeatable things to do.

I really liked FF Tactics Advance but had never played 12 so when it popped up on Gamepass I thought i'd give it a go and it kept catching me off guard when all the same music kept cropping up from stuff i'd been playing in 14. Reverse nostalgia or something. Also you can get the gear sets for the main characters from 12, although no Ashe sadly. And Frans bike! although quite a bit of effort for that. Its a bit of a shame they're not sure there'll be any more Ivalice content in 14 as i've really liked all of it so far.

Got the Trial 2 ex down last night. Took about 3 lockouts in total joining blind groups in Party Finder so not too bad overall.

48 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

if you have done it then in your Duty finder it will have a green tick.

Also in you 'j'ournal you can look to see if you have done the quests leading up to it (if you know them)

The Khloe book gives half a level of xp a week for more or less nothing so is worth doing. Also keep an eye on the  Challenge Log for other weekly repeatable things to do.

Ta for that but I think I’ve done everything in my duty finder I was thinking more things I may have missed. For instance I know I’ve missed the Bahamut raids back after ARR. 

55 minutes ago, bcofn said:

I really liked FF Tactics Advance but had never played 12 so when it popped up on Gamepass I thought i'd give it a go and it kept catching me off guard when all the same music kept cropping up from stuff i'd been playing in 14. Reverse nostalgia or something. Also you can get the gear sets for the main characters from 12, although no Ashe sadly. And Frans bike! although quite a bit of effort for that. Its a bit of a shame they're not sure there'll be any more Ivalice content in 14 as i've really liked all of it so far.

Got the Trial 2 ex down last night. Took about 3 lockouts in total joining blind groups in Party Finder so not too bad overall.

I've mentioned before but Matsuno, who created Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story and FFXII wrote the Ivalice Raids and Save the Queen campaign in XIV, but also he did so as Yoshi P was inspired by his works. :wub:

5 hours ago, df0 said:

So now most of us are 560+, anyone wanna do something? Every so often a message like this pops up, and it never amounts to anything. May I propose:

The first Trial EX? I tried several times via Party Finder but the combination of no voice-chat and "I did not watch a guide where do I stand lol" makes it rather mind numbing.

Yes, definitely, but I'm still a way off finishing the story. These bloody queues to log on mean I'm only able to get an hour early morning and another later at night. When I finally do get finished I'll join you for whatever. I left the FC as no one was ever on, but I'm still on moogle and in the cross world Linkshell.

Just message me and I'm in.

1 hour ago, BabelRich said:

Ta for that but I think I’ve done everything in my duty finder I was thinking more things I may have missed. For instance I know I’ve missed the Bahamut raids back after ARR. 

You have to be on the lookout for blue quest markers, or use a 'what to unlock' guide... though many spoilers will be there.

Coils starts with Alisaie at Wineport.

I would be happy to do the new EX1 with a full group of muk people, especially people that have not done that sort of content before.

If we could get a full group then the 560 iLevel requirement goes away (though it is good to have) and we could get in chat on the rllmuk discord (even to listen if people don't want to talk) and even if we are shit as all hell it will be fun!

I am well up for partying up with you peeps. I am only level 32 at the minute mind, but will be max by Christmas day at the current rate... Or at least the end of the holiday! 

That being said, what am I supposed to do all day tomorrow due to maintenance!!! I NEED IT 

On 18/12/2021 at 20:23, SuperCapes said:

Are they taking the piss with this server thing now. I can't even quickly make soft boiled eggs with toast without being booted. 

Absolute shambles like. Booted, 2400th in queue. Oh well, you will just have to wait 2 hours minimum because you couldn't make eggs and toast, then eat them quick enough. 

I have no problem getting on in the mornings but always lose out when I have lunch. Queueing the evening is hours and they seem to have no made the idle kick really aggressive so if you miss it connecting that’s back to the start. Need a big siren to go off.

I have heard that the voice overs for story content is more often after A Realm Reborn. Cannot wait for that. The reading isn't killing it for me, but it is jarring! I am not expecting every line voiced mind, but more would be good! 

I am massively over leveled compared to where I am in the story, so going to blast ARR story today. Also, sure I have mentioned this, but Gold Saucer is GOAT! I just keep smiling at all the different FF references in the entire game, and to see areas like that realised is nuts.